1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets keeping options open

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, Nov 30, 2011.

1. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/sports/rockets/article/Rockets-keeping-options-open-2337106.php

2. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Folks, we are not tanking.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

I truly believe the goal this season is to make the playoffs.

I may not like it but what Les wants, Les gets.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

McHale and a coacing change are the primary reason I think they struggle early, in a shortened season.

Now, maybe they come out and run Adelman's offense and keep the same rotation but I would think that McHale has his own style and people he likes and that will disrupt the chemistry at first.

Especially without a training camp.

DD

4. cod

cod Member

Help Chuck along in a S&T. This is possibly his last chance at a big pay day.

I dunno, sometimes I think Hayes is a crutch for Morey. If he were even more desperate. Would he put aside lowballing and sign off on a trade to get a serviceable center?

5. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

Morey of course makes an exception to his no extensions policy when it’s a cheapie $2.5M/year extension. :grin:

6. lild713

lild713 Member

Nene and DeAndre Jordan, or Dalemburt Gonna get be here 1 of them I gurantee it...I can feel it...watch....DeAndre Jordan , and NENE is PERFECT.

7. infinitidoug

infinitidoug Member

I'm with ya brotha! Preparing for the best starting NOW! :)

8. ric_flair

ric_flair Member

Offer Gasol 17million, make Memphis match it. take them out of any freeagency for the next 6yrs with the Gay contract. Battier walks to MIA and wins himself a ring and rejoins our coaching staff. Tank, and draft Barnes and Perry and coach Battier will takeover and win us 5 titles....This is also my X-mas list if anyone was curious.

9. T FOR 3!!!

T FOR 3!!! Member

I wanna trade Scola+T-Will for DeAndre and a pick(But it wont happen)....
    Or I'd settle with just signing DeAndre and then trading scola and t-will for a pick somewhere else..
    Or i'll be fine with just either one of those moves..

10. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

"There will be a few free agents we pursue," Morey said. "That's generally not the way we like to build a team. We like to build through the draft. We like to build it through trades. But if there are some free agents that make sense, we're going to try and get them."

"We might need to take two moves to get us back to where we want to be."

For now, however, Morey said he believed the roster on hand could live up to McHale's goal to end the Rockets' two-year playoff drought. He cited the Rockets' 17-8 record after last season's All-Star break.

Pieces already in play

"I think we have several guys who can move another step forward and be All-Star-caliber guys," Morey said. "Some of the young guys could show they are a part of that new championship core. We're going to continue to figure that over time. If something comes along that speeds up the championship process, we'll do it. But we're also not going to force it and make short-term decisions that hurt."

"I'm perfectly ready to go out there and play with these guys," McHale said. "I love our guys. I think they play hard; I've watched a ton of film. "

Reading between the lines, they said a lot here. Here is my amateur translation:

1. We will only sign a free agent if he accepts our low ball offer. We are tirelessly working the phones looking for a bargain.

2. Given that we will probably not improve the roster by a miracle low ball free agent signing, we will continue to shoot for the lopsided trade that nets us a superstar.

3. Given that we have been unable in recent history to secure the lopsided trade we have tirelessly worked the phones trying to luck into, and the probibility that it will not happen in the future, we will probably end up trying to build through the draft.

4. We are selling that we believe in our guys currently on the roster to maintain their confidence in hopes that one or two develop into all stars, and to not admit that we are in full tank mode. Of course, we will never admit we are not trying our hardest to win each and every game, as our season ticket holders might revolt over paying full price for tickets to watch us tank. But since history shows our best chance of obtaining that franchise player essential to winning is in the draft, barring the miracle free agent signing or miracle lopsided trade, full tank mode is on.

2 people like this.
  11. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

1 person likes this.
  12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  13. delishman

delishman Member

Hoping Morey is just trying to control the perception.

Tank Baby. Tank away. If our young players develop into a quality squad, fair enough.

14. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

1. We cannot afford to and MUST NOT waste time with the 2009 rejects.
    2. Use amnesty on Thabeet.
    3. Resign Chuck.
    4. Fix log jam at 4 by trading Scola.
    5. Sign NeNe or Dalembert.
    6. Find a SF through trade. (could be done from Scola trade).

If we cut the 2009 rejects, then - if we can get a serviceable SF and C we can make some noise in the playoffs.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Has there ever been an article title "Team X refuses to keep options open."

1 person likes this.
  16. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

All I want for christmas - is Marc Gasol. That dude is a baller and I´m pretty sure a future all-star. Possibly the Nr.2 center in the league behind Howard. Offer him a big contract - if Memphis matches at least they`ve tied up a lot of money. But please at least try to get him.

All the other guys like Nene or Jordan are nice and serviceable - they will make a difference on this team, but they won`t be all-stars. They will be in the Scola/Lowry mold - not enough to put us over the hump. So if we get one of them we definetly need another big piece. With Marc Gasol I believe we might almost be there.

17. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Gasol all the way

Gasol should be our #1 target. I read somewhere that Memphis won't keep him if he doesn't want to stay there, so make him an offer he can't refuse and while you're at it, go ahead and trade Scola over there for him, just to make sure you get him.

Sign Hayes as your backup and you have a pretty good season, hopefully great. I wouldn't want to play this team in the playoffs. I wouldn't mind an upgrade at SF, so do that if you can get something from Bud/Dragic/JHill/Twill, but if not I don't think you are in that bad of shape. If it doesn't work this year, than make the trade with those guys mentioned to move up in the draft and draft a SF. But, at some point, you have to get rid of the value depth.

Lowry/Dragic/Flynn
    Kmart/Clee
    Bud/M.Morris
    Ppatt/JHill/M.Morris
    Gasol/Hayes

18. smuduffy

smuduffy Member

Oh yeah, plus next year you have D-Mo coming on board, which could make Hayes a nice trading chip that might actually net us something

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And there you go, the Rockets are the equivalent of a working class mining families budget christmas present from Hibbing Minnesota in the 1960's.

So, not a Red Ryder BB Gun - but maybe a nice pair of wool socks that Aunt Edna knitted.

20. Nero

Nero Member

I want the Rockets to all try as hard as they can to make the playoffs, giving 110% effort every minute of every game, improving, gaining experience, getting better, showing promise - and still ending up with a bottom-three record in the league.

No tanking, trying as hard as possible, but through no fault of their own, still earning a very high draft pick.

:)