1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2011 Conference Realignment

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by RocketManJosh, Sep 27, 2011.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Since the other thread is locked up, we are going to need a thread because this realignment is not over because A&M left. There will be more action and it should be an interesting week or two coming up.

Questions remaining ...

1) What does Mizzou do? I don't think they agree to the 6 year deal so we'll see how the Big 12 responds to that if they dont.

2) How does the Big XII respond to losing another member? We know they need to add at least 1, maybe 2 if Mizzou leaves. Could even add some more to get to 12, but I don't think Texas will allow that. The Big 12 needs to stabilize and fast because it is going to get more and more costly for "good" options to leave their current situation for next season.

2. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I get why he locked the thread bc it was "A&M to the SEC" but this is far from over.

#2 sammy, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  3. RocketManJosh

Agreed ... I guess today and tomorrow are big days with the Big XII meetings. It will be interesting to see what comments Mizzou makes and the attitude they take. I'm convinced the leadership wants to stay in the Big XII over the SEC, but the fanbase overwhelmingly wants out.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't get why. Originally that thread was called UT to the Big 10, or something along those lines. Then it was something else. Finally it became TAMU to the SEC. I'd rather it continue to evolve than die.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It's obvious Mizzou isn't happy. I don't think any amount of money or reassurances of stability are going to make them happy, either. They want out. The Big 10 and SEC are both a better situation for them, and something the Big 12 cannot match. So, to me it seems like it is only a matter of time before they leave. The sooner the Big 12 realizes this, the better. They need to start making plans for that now.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I hope the Big 12 doesn't go past 10. I want to see every team every year. I hated that I only saw Nebraska in Austin only 2 times during the Big 12 era. This is why the whole 16 conference thing is stupid. Aggies will get to see Florida in College Station once a decade. What is is even the point of being in the same conference. Texas sees UCLA more often than that.

#7 rockbox, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

In on first page!

9. Major

Major Member

No - the Texas to the B10 thread was locked when the A&M to the SEC thread started. That A&M thread is about 1 month old, amazingly.

Mizzou has an interesting mess on their hands, given that they've been the public face of saving the Big12 the last several weeks.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Let's just say that I was trying to be politically correct :)

11. RocketManJosh

Yeah I understand why it was closed, but don't necessarily agree with it given the fact that there is still a lot left to discuss directly related to the A&M move such as what the exit fees will be and whether or not any of the rivalries continue in OOC play.

Not a big deal, we can move it all over here to a more general thread.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

but i will feel dirtier trolling this nice new clean thread. ;) just kidding...new beginnings and all that.

btw, sactown pathetically said he thinks tech will win national championship this season.

13. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

That'd make a pretty good basketball conference annually.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I betcha Mizzou stays in the Little 12.

15. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

The big question is whether A&M plays Bama in Tuscaloosa or College Station next year.

16. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

My bad for not knowing A&M had a 3 way tie for the south title last year. I was looking at the 9-4 record with respect to everyone else's overall record. My original point was not to bash the conference for being bad when you generally don't do well in it. Also, it's crazy for any team to think they are that great when so few teams have been played. I think Texas is good and could surprise a lot of people but they don't have quality wins. As I have said, I am happy for the aggies. Just have class about leaving the conference especially when it comes to the competitive quality given your lack of success over a decade long period.

As for "short memories" that is a incredibly relative term. The teams major brought up have had good and bad years mixed in to a decade long period. It is totally reasonable to judge a team in a time span of a decade if their success is consistent. If it's not, where do you stop? What's the bright line? 15 years? 50 years?

SEC teams coming to play in Texas gives them a ton more exposure. Obviously, more families and kids are going to be seeing SEC teams. It's that advantage that allows teams like Mizzou and OU to have so many texas recruits. Fans will be more likely to watch SEC teams play since those results effect how A&M finishes. To say that there won't be a recruiting impact when so many more football fans in the state of texas will have a bigger reason and outlet to watch SEC teams is crazy.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

My feelings exactly. Very well said.

18. RocketManJosh

I certainly agree that it will open some avenues for the SEC into Texas, but I also think it opens avenues even more for A&M in LA (where they have done very well lately) and also will give A&M something to distinguish themselves from others in Texas giving the opportunity to stay close to home and play in the perceived best conference in the country. I understand why Texas doesn't want A&M in the SEC, but I think it is mutually beneficial to both A&M and the SEC.

On a side note, I've heard that 2 Aggie Legislators announced that they are going to introduce legislation instructing UT and A&M to play. I would love for the game to continue and I know there is a precedent for this in other states (i.e. Florida-Fla State), but this is just plain dumb. These guys need to leave the decisions up to the schools, or else they should be voted out of office. If UT doesn't want to play A&M, that is their choice.

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

LOL. A law that mandates UT and A&M play each other...

20. RocketManJosh

I'm quite nervous about games like this next year. We are going to be in a huge transition year and unless we get some serious JUCO help on the D-Line, we are going to be in for a rough year I am afraid. Hopefully we have a new QB that steps up, but I would have really preferred that we started playing in the SEC this season.