1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Want to go to Con in Dallas, never been there or travelled on my own

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by htwnbandit, Aug 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. body slam

body slam Member

I don't want to sound like the bad guy, but if you can not afford to go properly stay home and go another time. Because for me taking a bus ride to a town I don't know much about, not knowing anyone when I get there, where to stay, how to get from place to place, and being on a tight budget seems like a bad idea.

If you do go hope you have a good time and a safe trip.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Op

If you don't have at the very least $250, just save up and go next time.

You can do all the math you want about expenses, but inevitably you will fall short. Uber costs and cab rides will add up.

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

$56 roundtrip is a very good deal - thats $23 each way. Honestly, I wouldn't go if I couldn't afford that, because its going to cost $20 a meal for you to eat at the Arlington Convention Center, and if you do end up at a cheap hotel..the cheap hotels in that area are very very sketchy. There are some decent ones around there, but considering its in the entertainment district, I'm not sure of the costs.

as for the rich white people comment - as a white guy who grew up dirt poor, that particular racist stereotype is really annoying..especially since there are more poor white people on welfare in this country then any other race. Just because someone is white doesn't mean they are rich...in reality, they most likely AREN"T Rich.

Anyway, if you do decide to go, good luck & be safe. If something seems sketchy, listen to your gut and stay away from the situation.

4. body slam

body slam Member

Is there a gaming convention that comes to Houston? If there is it may be a alternative that the op does not know about. I honestly did not know about comicpalooza in Houston until it was brought up on this site earlier this year. I had a great time just people watching.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

This is honest advice:

1. If you're going to get a hotel, get one near the convention center. Sounds like common sense but if you've never been to Arlington (specifically that area) it's best to get a hotel nearby as anything else will require transportation (e.g. more money).

2. It's right next to Six Flags Arlington and the Ballpark at Arlington so you have a few hotels to choose from. Will they be cheap as hell? Probably not but you're going to have to sacrifice something (either pay for a moderate hotel and save on transportation costs or cheap out and ending up paying out the ass for taxi/uber/etc.)

3. There are a lot of restaurants around the area but you're looking at around $15 a meal so plan accordingly.

4. Like another poster said, Mega Bus will drop you off about 6 miles (10 mins) away from the convention center. You need to factor in transportation costs to and from there.

Also, real talk here: If you can't afford $56 for Megabus then you're better off staying at home. Factoring everything:

Transportation:

$56 for roundtrip on megabus
    ~$40 for cab ride to/from hotel to Megabus bus stop

Hotel:

~$140 for two nights

Food:

~$100 for two days (breakfast/lunch/dinner)

You're better off spending that money on a PS4.