1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this a foul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Mar 5, 2015.

?

Is this a foul?

Poll closed Mar 8, 2015.
  1. Yes, always

42 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Yes, but only because I'm What

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. No, never

48 vote(s)
    47.1%
  4. No, because I'm a Rockets fan

7 vote(s)
    6.9%
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

What was the point of this comment? The two levels of contact weren't remotely similar.

2. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

They weren't going to call a foul after what happenned to james. Jones should have just fouled him harder.

The real question is why didn't Mchale make substitutions for the last defense possesion? Put someone big in the game??

3. Dark Rhino

Dark Rhino Contributing Member

Homers? Perhaps yes. This said, you do realize that it should never have come down to this?

4. rocketsmetalspd

Yea, it is foul in todays NBA but he travels before the shot/foul and before it got to this the Rockets should have been up by 2 with non foul call on Harden.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

TJones should have fouled him harder.

6. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

Ironically it would've missed long if TJones didn't foul him.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Are we all just going to ignore the differences in the severity of the fouls?

A foul would have helped the Rockets: more time would have been on the clock. Not sure what you are arguing here. Nice poll though.

8. SLRokJok

SLRokJok Member

i didnt watch the game. i hope that wasnt called a foul.

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

Damn Beverley. He could've just turn around, steal that ball and go for open lay-up for a game winner.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yes, it's a foul.
    As is the non-call on the other end.

The NBA method of non-calling most things at the end of games is moronic. Both calls should have been made.

As has been noted, in BOTH cases, the call having been made would have helped the Rockets. In Harden's case, he gets to shoot free throws.

In Gasol's case, it leaves a second+ on the clock for the Rockets to get an actual shot off.

EXTREMELY bad refereeing.

11. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

Why is trading non calls a thing? Call em both.

Only downside is Jeff Van Gundy would complain more...

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think it's hard to determine severity. Was Harden looking for the foul and partly let go of the ball himself? Are they more alike strength wise than Jones and Gasol? And don't sell a tap on the forearm short. It can significantly alter your shot.

I just think this was a simple case of the refs letting them play in the closing seconds, like they usually do. In fact, I want to say I've actually read about a player, who said they look to reach and be physical because it's usually not called. We just got fouled earlier and lost possession. It's how it goes in this league. It's not perfect. It's happened before to us and there wasn't this much negative reaction.

I think it's just a carry over from the cavs game and late loss to the Hawks. Fans are frustrated.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UBd51P533FE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ulcNajqtvJQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ovzx9UPvhH0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#33 RV6, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  14. rocketblood713

Either way you look at it if Harden is looking for the whistles in the playoffs then we might as well not even show up

15. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

You're 100% right, fans are definitely frustrated...because the refs tried their hardest to give the game to CLE, but (luckily for us), LBJ went 3-11 FTs in that game. Even though Harden didn't play, IMO the refs did put their stamp on the ATL game.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You have the makings of an excellent point, with two major flaws:
    * The contact on Harden was hard enough to prevent a shot at all
    * A foul on Harden changes this entire scenario

But I agree that this happens all the time. I wasn't really mad after the game, more shocked.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Seriously. Harden was fouled TWICE on the previous play, but this is still definitely a foul.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Ummm, if TJones arm contact had resulted in the ball spinning off harmlessly into the photographjers - are you saying the official wouldn't have called a foul?

I suppose it's possible but unlikely.

Grabbing the arm = difference in knd, with a different result

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

That's a better view. Yes that's clearly a foul.

20. rocketsmetalspd

Yes, but what about the three step travel to get the shot off?