1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New, Used Car Advice: What to get??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Jan 23, 2015.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Audi is VW.......
    Infiniti is Nissan
    Lexus is Toyota
    Acura is Honda
    Scion is Toyota
    Mini is BMW

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

i meant audi.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Not all Infiniti models have a Nissan counter part

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

IMHO the companies are owned by each other but there's still a quality difference.

And it's more true now that the luxury brands are trying to actually improve their products rather than make a luxury version of the lower brand.

I have experience with the MDX and Honda Pilot...there's a big difference. Same goes for the 04 camry and the lexus ES.

5. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lexus IS and ES are very, very reliable cars often ranked "excellent" in terms of reliability.

Infinity G37 and Acura TL are above average in reliability.

BMW 3 series and 5 series are usually average.

Mercedes and Audi are below average.

If you don't think the IS is small, then that's the car I would pick if your #1 is a 4 door luxury car that's reliable. If you want more space, I'd go with the ES, G37, or TL, which are all within the same price range.

I have had a BMW 5 series for 5-6 years and have 153k miles on it. It's been very reliable, except for a few minor problems. Many of my friends have also had "good luck" with BMWs. If you can find an independent mechanic, it's really not too much more expensive than Japanese/American cars.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Well I think I definitely have narrowed to the IS, the G37... or choice C just keeping what I have.

I found two IS350s that were pretty strong deals but both got sold immediately. Still looking, and a good deal on one of those and I'll jump.

I checked the Acura's for a while and a surprised at how well they seem to be holding their value... which is good for them, but makes them too pricey for me on a comparison basis, when I prefer the IS and G37 anyway.

Looked at some A4s... but not 100% sold there.

So will just be keeping my eye out for the right deal on an IS350 or G37 most likely. Like that the G37 is bigger.

7. hvic

hvic Member

IS and G37 are great choices. I love Audi but everyone tells me that there maintenance is expensive.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Just get a 2012 F-150 and be over with it.

With the type of miles you drive, you could have it for 40 years.

Great trucks. The one I gave my brother now has nearly 400,000 miles on it.

9. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

What is the most important to you? Space? Looks? Reliability?

Also, which Acuras were you looking at? If horsepower is not a big deal for you, the TSX is a great looking car that's undervalued IMO. It should also be less expensive than IS's and G37s, so maybe it's another option if you don't find a good deal on those.

10. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I'm with you man. I love the Audi look, but unfortunately it's listed as "below average" in consumer reports for reliability for almost every car I was interested in.

11. Sajan

Sajan Member

it's strange..the last few brand reliability has audi much higher than usual.

[​IMG]

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Why not go for the car that has repeatedly won Motortrend's car of the year, VW GTI. You can get a 2012 for under 20 grand and it's a blast to drive with immense amounts of practicality. Great gas mileage for a quick car. Hatchback with folding rear seats allows for great versatility in the cargo department.

13. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

on carcomplaints those 06-08 tl's have the highest satisfaction ratings.. imo they look better than the newer generation version of those cars.. ive noticed too they do keep their value at high mileage.. looking into picking one up honestly..

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I just sold my '04 TL back in August after almost 250,000 miles on it. Loved that car. :cool:

15. Medicine N Music

Supporting Member

I'm surprised that they have gotten this much better over the past few years. I was mainly referring to used cars in the 20k range, so I'd say 2009-2011 models? Anyway, the A4 from 2008-2012 I believe were either below average or average from USN and CR. Sorry, I don't have the consumer reports subscription, but if I remember correctly, their sedans didn't grade out well over those years. Here is the link from USN.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/Audi_A4/2010/Reliability/

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You didn't have transmission problems? Acura had serious transmission problems during those years. Having to replace the tranny every 70k miles wasn't uncommon.

17. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

subaru impreza or legacy - they're great cars

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I was on a first name basis with my service advisor when I used to drive an A4...

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

That was a very informative post. I had no idea. Thanks and bless you for this knowledge.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.