1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aldridge Chat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Apr 19, 2001.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think Hakeem still has game but when you say sign for the MAX do you actually mean the man expects to get something like 8-10 million a year for two more years. No way Id give him that. Cant the Rockets sign him after we sign Webber in such a way that it doesnt effect the cap--ala Bird rights, to a 4-5 million dollar a year for 2 years contract?

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

the max for Hakeem is actually 105% of his current salary. That's a grandfather clause they tossed Jordan and Shaq, among others.

So, Hakeem's maximum is over $17m.

3. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I think Aldridge's point is that in LA, he could go for another championship, and that Houston isn't ready to do that, just yet.

------------------
    the more I know, the more I know I don't know...

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Can we get some of this deal
    Sign and Trade. . .

anything LA has that we want

I mean if we *MUST* loose him
    let's get something back

Rocket River

------------------

5. Steve_Francis_rules

I think he meant Webber will sign for the max wherever he goes.

------------------

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ah...thanks, I see it now.

------------------
    Haha.. you fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well know is this: Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

7. Rockets Fan Trapped In MN

Rockets Fan Trapped In MN Contributing Member

This is from today's David Aldridge chat:

David, can you comment on the Hakeem situation in Houston? will he be back for another year, or will he retire/or play somewhere else?
    --------------------------

David Aldridge at 1:14pm ET
    Hakeem wants to play next season, Brian. But it won't be in Houston. The Rockets know that they're just not good enough as currently constituted to break through in the west. They need to get a power player, and they want to take a run at Chris Webber. To do that, they'll need the money Hakeem is making. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Olajuwon in Los Angeles next season as Shaq's backup.

First of all, I think David is once again off his rocker. (remember how he kept saying that there was no possible way that Mourning was coming back?) But it got me to thinking. . . If Dream re-signs next year, it's guaranteed he'll be starting, right? But with teams like L.A. or Miami, he'd be the backup. Do you think Dream would take less money to be able to start rather than get more money and be a backup? Personally, I would think he'd rather be starting, and that gives us at least some leverage.

(Also -- if we were to land Webber, would it be possible to backload his contract so that we can pay Dream a lot now, and Webber a lot more later like they do in the NFL?)

------------------

8. davo

davo Contributing Member

No - we cannot backload his contract. He will sign for the max wherever he goes, so there is no opportunity to "make up for lost time" at the end of his contract.

I don't see Hakeem going to LA or Miami either. Both of those teams are over the cap, so they can only pay Hakeem exception money. Only reason Hakeem leaves Houston is for
    a) more money
    b) bigger role in offense.

Not happening in LA or Miami.

------------------
    ..as a man danced so the drums were beaten for him.
    Current Rocket's Salary & Contract Info

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

backloading is not allowed in the NBA.

Raises are capped at 10% simple interest (for free agents changing teams) and 12.5% (for traded players or free agents who stay put).

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 19, 2001).]