1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Dave Hardisty" talking about coaching staff on "610"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, May 31, 2011.

1. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Thats not a good thing that Morey chose McHale over Casey and Frank because McHale agreed that Morey would choose his staff. Thats a Jerry Jones move. I maybe wrong, but I doubt it!

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK. This may be the start of a new trend in choosing coaches. You have to admit, getting Joerger and Finch, two coaches who have had lots of success elsewhere, would be pretty exciting.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Clutch on 610?! Whaaa?!:p

Mike and Greg, how are you?

Good, how are you guys doing?

Good. If you asked me a month ago if McHale was going to be the coach, I would've been surprised. How shocked are you?

I agree. I was surprised. It was shocking but as we see the staff starting to take shape, we see what the team is doing. McHale is a figurehead type coach. We'll see a possible addition with Joerger and Finch. They'll provide a lot to this team. McHale more a charismatic leader type and I think thats what they're looking for in this HC position and hoping to shape the staff with more brilliant types.

What does that mean as far as Morey putting his neck on the line? Isnt he doing that?

I think it is. Now this is def. Morey putting his mark on the team. I'm excited about it. We'll see analytics used more and these guys will be open and more in sync with the FO. Thats important as a fan because this team needs changes. Not same team from 03-07.

Solomon said this hire will make or break Morey. I dont know if I agree but imo what will make or break him is if he lands a star player, not if McHale succeeds or not. What do you say?

I think that assessment is perfect. Key thing is getting a star. Rockets dont have a star. If McHale flops, it will reflect poorly on Morey but he has brought in assistants that could step right in and take over and thats probably the plan.

It is a star driven league but you think McHale was the last gasp. Think other coaches would agree to come in when you pick their coaches?

Bring up an excellent point. You saw guys like Brown and other assistants not show enough interest in the Rockets. Thats probably the reason why. They wouldnt have full control of their staff. McHale was a guy who was willing to do this. He does have a relationship with Daryl. Definitely a factor in other coaches not having enough interest.

Biggest thing I've learned through coaching search is the Chris Finch thing. Surprise you how they think highly of him?

It did. I didnt look into the resume of him but he's had success in the D-League and overseas. He does fit the bill of a coach that the Rockets could groom. Theyre saying that has been overblown. Same with Dave Joerger. Had same success. Both those guys have great basketball minds and need more NBA experience.

Talking back with Adelman, many shocked when Brown got LA job. Is Rick tired of coaching, looking for GM job?

Excellent point. He said he didnt get call back from LA. Part of that plays a role. Some with the Rockets said he wasnt 100% sure he wanted to come back. I downplayed that as spin because I think all along they wanted to move along. He is vying for job in Portland, thats where his home is, maybe he is ready to settle down. I think he wants to keep working but LA job, dont think he was ready to jump on it.

Draft in a few weeks. What are we thinking? Rumblings that Morey wants to move up.

They've had that same desire since 06 and wanting to move up. If they're going to do it, this might be the best year. Considered a weaker draft. Big difference between 14 and say 7 or 8. Personally I do like Enes Kanter. Would love to see them trade up and get him. Think more a LUis Scola type but bigger and can play center and Kahwi Leonard as well.

Up against here, appreciate you coming on but Mike Brown taking LA job. is that the quality of job people think it is?

I think it is. Definitely on the downside. Got talent and size there. Something wasnt quite right with Pau Gasol in playoffs. That team still has a chance to go to the NBA finals next year. Talented squad.

4 people like this.
  4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Didn't they do the same thing for the Celtics? Doc Rivers/Thibs
    Only Doc Rivers had his own assistants since 2004, then Ainge asked for Thibs to come in 2007 to do the defense.

#5 BetterThanEver, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011
  5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Making the rounds, Clutch, or is 610 going to start promoting ClutchFans?

6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Nice job, Clutch! You should get a steady radio/TV gig if you wanted it. :)

Interesting and solid takes.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

A cleverly disguised annamegan thread.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Not unless we start posting Clutch underboob pictures.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Who is this "Dave Hardisty" guy and how can he be allowed to be excited about the new staff when we are clearly still not done mourning the old staff??

BURN THE TROLL.

10. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Overblown? You fired Rick Adelman because he wouldn't make room on his staff for Chris Finch. You lost one of your top candidates for the job (Mike Brown) for the same reason. Finally, you found someone who would let you build his staff instead of vice versa and we're not supposed to look more into the Finch hiring? :confused:

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They didn't even call him back, and they hired Mike Brown without talking it over with Kobe Bryant?

Strange decisions by the LA front office.

12. CXbby

CXbby Member

Management hand picking the staff was obviously important to them, and caused the things you are talking about. I think what they mean by "overblown" is the rumor of bringing in Finch to specifically be the successor of some lameduck head coach. In reality, I believe they hired McHale because they liked McHale as the head coach. Not some babysitter. They are going to put guys like Finch around him because their strengths and weaknesses and skillsets match. Not because Finch is already the head coach in waiting.

Now there is no doubt that there's risk in hiring McHale, since he is even less proven than those assistants being built around him. So if he does end up not working out, it helps that there are guys who could potentially step in. But that doesn't apply to Finch alone, since I think that Joerger guy would have just as good a chance, if we end up hiring him.

13. LongTimeFan

I get that reasoning, but IMO it's just a PR spin for the Rockets. Of course they don't want fans thinking that McHale is just keeping Finch's seat warm, that wouldn't make McHale, Finch, or the team comfortable. But Morey was determined to put Finch on the next coaching staff -- and if you didn't want him, you weren't getting the job. There's gotta be more than just "he really liked Finch" to that. Did Finch's strengths and weaknesses match with Adelman's? I don't think it mattered how well Finch's best qualities fit or overlapped with the current coach, he was going to be an assistant coach no matter what.

I actually really like Finch -- I think he might be able to do wonders in developing some of our younger guys with skill (not Thabeet). But you don't insist on him being hired, going so far as to even firing your current HOF coach because he wouldn't take him, if you didn't think he was going to play a big part in your future.

Basically, IMO, the Rockets were more than willing to take a less qualified coach if that meant Chris Finch would be on the staff. They should fight the "HC in waiting" idea because it's bad PR and trashy for an organization to do that while there's an active HC, but I can't shake the belief that Finch is being groomed for the future.

14. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

This.

I am guilty of falling victim to the belief Finch is being groomed to unquestionably become the next head coach. However, I realized that I'm starting to do what I accuse other Clutchfans of doing, reading more into things than necessary. The most obvious answer is usually the correct one. And the most obvious reason Houston's FO would hire McHale as head coach is because they like McHale as head coach.

Having two very strong assistants on his staff to help bolster McHale's known weaknesses is a great way of helping McHale have the greatest chance of success possible. And having them around, both Finch AND Joerger, if the McHale-head-coaching experiment ends in failure could be a secondary benefit.

15. durvasa

I thought the same, but if that's the case why do they want to bring in this other guy, Dave Joerger? Is it going to be a competition between the two to be next in line? That doesn't sound like a good working environment for anyone involved.

No, I think the front office just wanted to have an "in" on the coaching staff. A way to have more influence over player development and game strategy. They probably looked at setups around the league, where successful teams are increasingly hiring smart assistants for their head coach and figured that's the best way for the Rockets to do it.

16. LongTimeFan

My memory is blanking, but what successful teams have done this besides the Celtics? I know Doc wanted his "defensive coordinator" and hired TT and LF, but I can't recall other teams bringing in top assistants to take over.

The Joerger hiring is interesting, but I think that may say more about McHale than Finch. There's no guarantee that Joerger gets the job over Finch just because he's the higher ranked assistant. Your "in" on the coaching staff comment makes a lot of sense though.

Either way, if McHale is successful, they'll have a hard time letting him go. Then again, they did let Adelman go, so who knows..

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Left out minor details from the interview there though not sure it really makes a difference or clears things up. Looks like Rick got an initial call(them telling him their interest in him?), though I guess they went with Brown and never called Adelman back.

As far as Finch/overblowing things, "they're saying that has been overblown, that we're not grooming him, that he could be a NBA HC someday, but we're not doing that."

Talking back with Adelman, many shocked when Brown got LA job. Is Rick tired of coaching, looking for that GM job with Portland?

Excellent point. He said he didnt necessarily get the call back from LA. He did get the initial call.* Part of that plays a role. Some with the Rockets said he wasnt 100% sure he wanted to come back. I downplayed that as spin because I think all along they wanted to move along. He is vying for job in Portland, thats where his home is, maybe he is ready to settle down. I think he wants to keep working but LA HC job, dont think he was ready to jump on it.

---------

Biggest thing we've learned through coaching search is the Chris Finch thing. Reported about 3 weeks ago that as a condition theoretically for Adelman to return that Chris Finch would need to be on the coaching staff and obviously Adelman, that didnt fly with him.* Surprise you how they think highly of him?

It did. I didnt really look into the resume of him but he's had a lot success in the D-League and overseas as well. Looking at his resume, he does fit the bill of a coach that the Rockets could groom. They're saying that has been overblown, that we're not grooming him, that he could be a NBA HC someday, but we're not doing that.* Same with Dave Joerger. Had same success. Both those guys have great basketball minds and just need more NBA experience so thats why you're seeing Daryl add these guys to the staff.

*previously left out

18. durvasa

I'm not as well versed on the coaching staffs of other teams as some, but the Grizzlies and Thunder come to mind. I doubt Scott Brooks or Lionel Hollins handpicked all their assistants. I'm sure there are many other examples.

19. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I like it - it's following the model the Pacers used with Larry Bird (Rick Carslie running the team in the background). Take egos out of the equation, and you can build the best possible staff. Morey is 100% running the show now - the results are all on him going forward.