1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luis Scola Calls Out Ginobili & Other Absent Team Mates

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Sep 17, 2007.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

You've got to love Luis Scola, showing great passion for basketball and his country, and demonstrating leadership both on court and off court, calling out Ginobili and other NBA big names that they should have no excuses whatsoever to be there at the 2008 Olympics to defend their title.

I surely hope he will bring that leadership to the Rockets team as well. :cool:

2. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Argentina and Spain are going to be mega-tough in 08. Add Lithuania and Greece, who US has struggled against, as well as the new and improved Russia and China, I don't know if we're going to win a medal.

3. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

He's the man! Always defend your country!

4. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

cmon now, yea the worlds caught up with us, but still no team is remotely close to as deep and talented as the usa is. We will still be one of the favorites to win gold. No medal??

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

The key word here is favourites. Favourites, yes. Have to earn the gold medal, definitely.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Where did he call out anyone?

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

He didn't call out anyone.

8. OrangeRowdy95

OrangeRowdy95 Contributing Member

Without a doubt we're the favorites. We've always been the favorites. We've always had the most talented teams. I'm just saying I don't know if we have what it takes to win another international competition against other teams who are playing at 100%. My early prediction is that we end up with the silver, losing to Argentina or Spain. I'd put money down right now on us not winning the gold however. The World has caught up, it's as simple as that. I feel they want it more and they take more pride in international competition and playing as a team for their country than our fellow Americans. Just look at Scola. The guy keeps in touch with all his teammates every week. He wants his NBA Argentinians to join him. I have yet to see an NBA player take losing patriotically. Most of the guys who lost in competition quit because they blamed the international rules/refs and style of play. I don't see that as solving any problems. Kobe is the only chance this team has.

9. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

Individual talents don't necessarily translate into team success. Team USA hasn't won a gold medal since 2002 and your argument above can be applied to each of the team USA that failed.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give Pryuen a break, its his first post without mentioning Yao,
    he's trying.

11. zilches

zilches Member

He not only didn't call out anyone, he didn't even say anything controversial or newsworthy.

We are starved for drama. Perhaps Reefer will hold-up a bank to give us something to talk about?

12. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

Who cares? Don't you know that this thread would attract more attention with a more controversial title?

13. JustWannaChill

He might have misinterpreted what they said in the article and made up an inappropriate thread title. But it's ridiculous of u to imply that he intentionally made up a controversial title. He has been bringing numerous news to us in the off season and invested tons of hours to translate the articles. He has contributed to this site way more than you do. And you jumped out from nowhere to diss him for an inappropriate thread topic? How more pathetic can you people get?

14. ham

ham Member

Nice find. Thanks, Pryuen!

15. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

"Call somebody out" means to "summon somebody", doesn't it?

Even the FIBA title runs "Scola: Stars must go to Beijing".

And these are the titles from Chinese media for the same article:

火箭大前逼宫吉诺比利 斯科拉:是球星的都上京 (sohu.com)

阿根廷之王斯科拉下圣谕 要曼努归队不准坐享其成 (tom.com)

What's wrong with Pryuen's title anyway?

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

He didn't call out anyone.

17. pryuen

Thanks Freemaniam.

It is not exactly a call out.

But if one has followed what happened during the time lead up from the World Championship (in which Argentina lost the championship) last year up till now, you'll know Luis Scola had been pretty frustrated and upset inside that his team mates Manu Ginobili, Luis Oberto, Pepe Sanchez, Walter Hermann and Andres Nocioni, had not come to his plea that they should play in this FIBA Americas Championship, and he alone as its captain had to shoulder his team to play in the Olympic qualifier.

What if he and the other Argentine players did not play well, and therefore missed out qualifying for the Olympics?

That's why I think he is implicitly calling out his team mates, that no excuse this time that they should all join the national team, and play in Beijing to defend their Olympic title.

18. pchan

pchan Member

I always only read the headlines and believe them.

So, can anyone confirm that does he call out his teammates or not?

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His titles are translated from poorly translated titles made up by drama queen Chinese pseudo reporters.

Scola just said, as a matter of fact, they need all the stars in order to be competitive in the Olympics. The Chinese titles, however stated that he's either pressuring the unwilling stars into playing or ordering their return, which was not his tone in the fiba.com article.

One of the titles also calls him "the King of Argentina."

#19 Carl Herrera, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  20. pryuen

Well, did you read the Luis Scola interview I translated earlier?

King of Argentina is the nick name Ginobili gave Luis Scola. :rolleyes: