1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

can't help thinking about last years team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by legacygt777, Jul 24, 2014.

1. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

I understand all the moves and that we needed to upgrade so we could get a championship. It was gamble. Signing Parsons at 15mil was too much. Lin and Asik were also too much.

But I really liked last years team even with the heartbreak loss. We played with an injured Bev. We lost our def assistant coach. Jones was young and inexperienced. Harden was inconsistent. Lin was too.

But at 54W and 28L, I honestly felt we would have contended next year because everyone would have become better. We beat a championship Spurs team 4 times plus a lot of other elite teams. Jones, Lin, Harden on D, Bev, new assistant coach, and Parsons especially (I wish we signed him earlier) plus our new guys like daniels and canaan w/dm would have all gotten better.

Been watching the rox through thick and thin since the late 80's and last years team was fun...plus the guys on the team. It's been my fav team in a long long time. I really hope we do get better and will support our team but I'm really down on how this is all turning out. BTW, I hate the Mavs with a passion.

1 person likes this.
  2. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

I'm a young Rocket fan.

So, I can't compare our old team to older Rockets team.

All I know is that this is my favorite Rocket team, then Yao and TMac's group.

Either way, I'll go down under with my team even without my favorite guys.

I still believe!

3. legacygt777

legacygt777 Member

I'm with you on that. Just feelin bummed still.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Now imagine a very similar team for next year, with one addition:

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. sun12

sun12 Member

If Rick Carlisle were the Rox coach, no doubt Rox beat Portland and has an excellent chance in beating the Spurs, but of course will lose to the OKC.

1 person likes this.
  6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Breaking up is hard to do. Now, get over it because she's not coming back.

1 person likes this.
  7. zyt

zyt Member

its not hard to do at all, rockets do it every year, like twice

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm an OLD Rockets fan ... What this offseason reminded me of was 1986 when Lew Lloyd and Mitchell Wiggins got themselves suspended for drugs after losing to the Celtics in the finals. Those suspensions shredded a very good team .... replacing NBA starters with what would today be D-League scrubs.
    It happened differently with Asik & Lin being traded while Parsons went via FA .... The two former were no longer starters but the talent drop off is similar. Lin replaced by a D-Leaguer & Asik replaced by a guy who couldn't make an NBA roster for three seasons spending those years between Spain , Greece , Turkey & Spain again - being released TWICE in that time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Dorsey#Europe

The thing about the Lin trade that bugs me the most is that it didn't have to happen (at that time) as Morey could have waited to pull the trigger after Bosh gave him a firm answer.
    In the event Bosh returned to Miami , he'd still have Lin & that first round pick to deal around the deadline when he might have gotten "something" in return rather than paying a team to take Lin's contract.
    The fact that Morey hasn't replaced Lin has me concerned I don't believe Canaan is the guy and Nick Johnson isn't ready .... there aren't any viable FA's left either to replace that 6th man role.

Asik had to go .... and they were compensated fairly well for him. I didn't expect NO to give up a pick as high as #4. Dorsey as his replacement .... is disappointing. Would rather have had Jermaine O'Neal .... who probably takes a 1 year deal at his age.

Parsons .... had to go after Bosh returned to Miami and at least they had his replacement in Ariza.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Gotta love those 08-09 rockets too, what could've been...

10. CantBeRight

CantBeRight Member

If Yao didn't go down. Championship.

11. JD88

JD88 Member

Bev and Jones were first year starters.

Harden and Parsons were second year starters.

Next years team will be better. Book it.

12. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Facepalm, you just said book it.

13. JD88

JD88 Member

Write that **** down.

14. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Double Facepalm

15. calcium

calcium Member

I think all will be fine if either Canaan or DMo makes a breakthrough.

And JHarden starts playing some D. :)

16. PeppermintCandy

I won't miss them that much. The team was better on paper than on the court. Despite the talent, just didn't mesh chemistry-wise and didn't get the sense that they would get it together with more time.

I understand the need to go in another direction, though what that direction is I'm not sure.

17. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Too much pressure was on Lin given by the fans.
    Having Asik was redundant with Dwight dominating that center position.
    Parsons is great but Morey and Les isn't going to pay 15 mill for a 3rd option on this team.

Despite the lost of all those 3, I think the current team with the addition of Ariza actually compliments everyone better.

After striking out on Bosh, it is clear Harden and Howard must lead the way now.

18. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Ahhh man. That was a ring that year.

19. Raven

Raven Member

It sucks that Morey lost a first to dump Lin, but I'm not bummed over swapping Parsons for Ariza. Maybe I will if Parsons elevates his game to a higher level, but the Rockets needed to upgrade defensively and they did. I won't knock Parsons, but I think it's kind of obvious he wanted out.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

That team was fool's gold. No defense.

We have gotten better.