1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Pat Beverly our PG of the future?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JD88, Jul 25, 2014.

1. rokit

rokit Member

Usage rate has nothing to do with how much you handle the ball

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is a perfect fit on a team with 3 stars. Makes no money and can play the Chalmers role with better D

However, in a team with only two stars, he is just ok. An upgrade if possible should definitely be considered.

3. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

The obsession with having an offensive superstar at every position drives me insane. There is only one ball to go around. If you already have two guys who need a massive amount of touches, then you don't need your point guard to average 8 assists, or to generate his own offense, or to score 15 points a game. The point guard you want alongside Harden and Howard is a guy who is a deadeye shooter, plays defense like his life depends on it, and gets the ball to Harden and Howard without attitude about his lessened offensive role.

Beverley has a long way to go to reach "deadeye" status as a spot up guy, but if he were to move from 36% to, say, 39% from range, he would be about the best Harden running mate you could dream up.

He's not one of the best 15 point guards in the league...but with Harden touching the ball every possession you don't need a great point guard, you need a great complement to Harden. Bev is good to great at that, and will only improve. You don't pay Bev 10 million to do what he does, but 6 mil and a guaranteed starting spot for his next contract wouldn't be out of the question for me if he shows a bit of improvement this year.

I'll add this too: can you win a title with Howard, Ariza, Harden and Beverley as four of your starters? I say absolutely. I don't have that same faith in Jones, and I definitely don't think the bench is strong enough to be a contender now. But imagine you suddenly traded Jones and the bench for, say, Millsap and the Spurs' bench. I think that team can win a title without even thinking about upgrading Beverley.

#43 CDrex, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    2 people like this.
  4. langal

langal Contributing Member

We could use a serviceable veteran. Start or not who cares but the lack of depth is alarming.

5. Rockets025

Rockets025 Rookie

In a league of superstar point guards such as Chris paul, Westbrook, Parker, dragic, rondo, Lowry, lilliard, curry, ect.. I'm perfectly fine with bev at pg and I think he's perfect.

Most teams rely on there star pg for a majority of their points to win games. Having a defender like bev to shut them down is perfect. His 10points a game is solid when having dwight and harden. Harden and parsons handled a lot of the distribution and it's just the way we worked our offense.

He is the best pg for our team in my opinion because he brings the defense and energy and fight to our team that we need. If he was healthy in the playoffs, and not playing with 102' degree fevers like he was, then I think it would have been a different story for Damian lilliard.

6. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

The only reason this guy even have a job in the NBA is because he plays along with Harden. In any other line up this guy is a bench warmer or water boy type. 2nd team all-defensive team, yeah like that means anything these days. James Harden got a vote on that team too.

7. sTeKcOr22

sTeKcOr22 Member

Can make a solid backup PG if we can find a suitable replacement.

8. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

Right, 102 fever you say?

9. SemisolidSnake

I'd like Beverley back. I like watching him hustle, and I like how he seems to mentally disturb the other PGs in the league. I'd really like him to actually be a true point guard that sets up the other players. That's not his fault; Harden runs the offense with McHale's backing. Considering how sticky the ball gets when the ball goes to Harden, I'd prefer he not run the offense. For a team that relies so heavily on 3-pt shooting (really hate that, btw), they need a PG that can move the ball around to get people good looks.

Watching the Rockets vs watching the Spurs is like watching two different sports entirely. The Spurs are constantly moving the ball, and even though we swept them in the regular season, they're the ones with the rings. I want Beverley to be that point guard, but I'm not sure we'll let him. Even as a starter, he barely gets the chance to actually set up plays (do we have plays?), so I couldn't tell you if he could grow to be good at it. Personally, I think he could, because he's a hard worker and has a good attitude about the game. At the very least, he's valuable because his energy on the court is infectious to the others. I bet there's several dozen games we don't win without Patrick Beverley pushing everyone to play harder by serving as an example. But if he's going to have to play generic good defender because Harden handles the ball most of the time, I bet he'll get tired of trying so hard eventually, especially to compensate for James' lack of defense and propensity for turnovers.

10. Wolverrines

Wolverrines Member

He is not which why they have been looking at just about every guard on the market. Bev is good but as a 3d guy off the bench.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Bev being limited in playmaking for whatever monkey reason irks me. Harden playing Pg equates to iso ball and that's horrible.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I have a feeling Pat will be the exception and just negotiate a deal rather than going into free agency. Maybe he'll consider Chicago, if they have interest, but I think he wants to be here around his mom, so he'll happy with just a decent raise.

13. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Why is it horrible? It has been proven to be efficient when he is on. The trick is to make him stop when he is NOT on.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

We do need an upgrade at point guard. Not necessarily a scoring machine, but someone whose box score in the "assist" column actually impresses rather than deflates.

My wish is that we could acquire another point guard who can also give us meaningful minutes at the 2. Granted, Jeremy Lin was 6'3" and there was some possibility there, but he wasn't the answer.

Nick Johnson might morph a bit into such a player but he's a rookie and we don't know how he's gonna turn out or how long it'll take him to get there.

But whatever the situation, I like PatBev and hope we could keep him in some capacity. He plays with a fire sorely lacking in our All Star shooting guard.

15. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

lol Why would he do that? Why should he give a team a discount when it's clear that both management and teammate thinks of him as "just" a role player, while forgetting to realize that the team actually NEEEDS him? He's the only PG on the team right now and is a valuable commodity. He will try to get as much $ as possible, as well he should.

16. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

Revisionist history hahaha

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

That would be stupid of him. In a parallel world he could still be playing in Russia. He might only get one chance at a "big" contract and leaving millions on the table would be almost irresponsible. He hasn't made enough yet to comfortably retire on. Unless Morey shows some good faith and signs him to an extension sooner rather than later, he should get all he can.

18. Nimo

Nimo Member

Who cares? He's just another role player

19. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

job of the pg: dump ball to harden, dump ball to dwight --> scurry quickly to 3 point line. lin did the exact same thing. except when he was off teh bench it was dump to bev, because he was moved to sg lol

20. JD88

JD88 Member

Why does it matter where the assists come from?

I keep hearing assists assists assists, but why does it matter who's assisting as long as theyre there?

Basically the question I really want to know is, if we aren't looking for a 3andD PG, what are we looking for?