1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is there a chance we miss the playoffs?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jul 24, 2014.

?

Chances we miss the playoffs?

1. 0-20%

67.9%
  2. 21-40%

14.3%
  3. 41-60%

9.6%
  4. 61-80%

3.1%
  5. 81-100%

5.1%
  1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

My god people are overreacting way to much over this offseason.

2. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

It's crazy how much people forget that we have two top 10 players in the NBA.

3. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Barring major injuries the Rockets will finish top 6 in the WC.

OKC
    Spurs
    Clips
    Mavs
    Rockets
    Suns
    Blazers
    NOP, Memphis, Denver, and LAL may compete for 8th seed.

I would say that the top 3 are pretty for-sure unless the Sterling drama continues to hang over their head. Rivers said he wouldn't coach if Sterling owned the team so there's clearly drama. I think the Mavs and Rockets will fight for 4th seed. Suns and Blazers for 6. Those four teams will battle for the final spot.

I give the Mavs the benefit of the doubt because at this point their bench is better than ours and I think that will matter later on in the season. Our starting 5 is better, but mainly because they're frontcourt is old/injured. If Tyson and Dirk are healthy, then their 5 may be better.

I haven't done much research on the other teams in the WC, so don't flame me for my prediction.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We have pretty much thesame team as last year I'll even say we will be better. Ariza brings us something we didn't have and that's D. Jones, Bev, Daniels, and Dmo all had another offseason to get better. And our team chemistry should improve a lot. I really like some of the moves we have made this year. Especially Ariza and Adrien

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Hasn't Dallas lost the majority of its players who contributed last year on D?

I'm not sold on them. Chandler is washed up, felton is felton and aminu can't shoot a lick. Parsons to me was their only good move

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

You take into account other teams youth and development but not our own.

7. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

As long as Harden and Howard as healthy they will make the playoffs.

8. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

Asik backed up Howard in the D as rim protector. Lin backed up Harden as the rim attacker and could produce points like he did against the Spurs. He also made good number of assists. Both backups now gone and no one can step in their shoes or have proven that they can. So if either or both are injured for 10-15 games, a good chunk of that may be in the loss column. We didn't have a great cushion last season with every body. So it is worrisome indeed.

9. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

By your logic, if there's a 15% chance of us missing the playoffs then I think you've already answered your question.

Right now I'm kind of hating on the Rockets from the crappy off season based on the moves and events that have happened so far.

Rockets are public enemy #1 now - we better win to shut everyone up.

10. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Did you really watch last season... such an oblivious post. :p

Asik missed so much of last season and when he did play it wasn't much... Lin was the most inconsistent player we had and his weaknesses outweighed his strengths.. addition by subtraction there... Bev also missed 26 games with some freak injuries... Harden missed his share of games also... so we definitely didn't have "EVERYBODY"... yet still won 54 games(taking some of the last ones off)... We can definitely do better than last season.

11. calcium

calcium Member

Unlikely to miss the playoffs, I say. Too much talent.

But it we do (cos the West is TOUGH, tougher this year
    than last with the Pelicans coming up), this place will blow up.

12. JD88

JD88 Member

We had two first year starters in Bev and Jones and a first year Rocket start in Dwight...

Unless you think those players will not improve or that chemistry will not improve, I'd say we are pretty safe.

13. Asian Sensation

Cause only our young players will improve and the young players on other teams will remain dormant right?

Every single team in the west has talented young players that are still improving and or stars who are looking to make the jump to superstardom.

I think 50 wins will be the magic number just to get in. We have way too many holes and unknowns to be a lock to get in. If no other moves are made I predict 7th seed as best case scenario and 10th as worst.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

As useless, incompetent and clueless that the possible worst coach in the NBA McHale is, even this may seem a step too far for his inadequacies.

Rockets should make the playoffs easily and still have home court but don't udnerestimate the ineptness that is Kevin McHale.

15. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Please, don't jinx us basketball Gods. Allow us to please have a great season. Signed, #Rednation.

16. shtinkee

shtinkee Member

hmm... no.

17. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

I'm almost positive we won't miss, but it could happen because the West is so freaking deep. If we had won 5 fewer games, the Mavs one more, and the Suns 2 more, we would have missed last season.

Spurs and Thieves are a virtual lock. So are the Clippers unless the team boycotts over Sterling. The Grizz will be better with a healthy Gasol all season and will be difficult to overtake for a top 4 seed.

The Warriors figure to be better with a coach with an actual offensive scheme and could land Love. The Blazers will be as good as last year although I don't think they'll start out so hot. The Mavs will be better with their superstar pretty boy and Rick Carlisle and will certainly be in the Playoff mix.

There's still Phoenix who just missed out last year. I'm curious to see how Thomas fits on that team and if Bledsoe resigns.

Nuggets, Kings, Lakers, and Jazz are trash. The Wolves could be better if they can actually close out tight games, but while dumping a disinterested Adleman is a positive, I don't think that Flip is the man to coach them to the promised land. That's assuming they keep Love. The only other dark horse team is the Pelicans. Their front court defense is scary, but I see that team being an offensive mess. They might sniff 500, but I can't see them overtaking the Rockets.

That's 8 solid teams who could all overtake us and 2 other teams with a very small chance of being decent. If Harden or Howard (or maybe Beverly depending on how the backup spot shakes out) have to miss significant time, we could be in a very tight race.

Magic Numbers should be fun as the season winds down in the very stacked Western Conference.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

No a chance as long as Howard and Harden stay healthy.

19. beastlyball

beastlyball Member

On paper we should make it, but dig a little deeper and I'd say we can easily miss the playoffs. I don't think we reach 54 wins this season. Parsons, Lin, Asik absence will be missed dearly. Bev, will be exposed as the worst starting PG in the league. Howard is going to play crazy minutes because we have no quality backup center.

20. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Injuries are not outta the question because we have absolutely no bench. Starters will have to literally play 40 minutes a game