1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vecsey: Rockets among teams interested in Michael Redd

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Is Peter Vecsey on crack? Seriously. What do the Rockets have to offer the Bucks for Redd? Anyhow, just passing it along:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/41154.htm

IT'S D-DAY FOR NBA DEALS

By PETER VECSEY

February 24, 2005 -- The plot clots: Today we find out who's all talk and who's serious about rehabbing their roster. When the NBA's trading deadline expires at 3 p.m. (ET) Michael Redd, Baron Davis, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Donyell Marshall will know for sure how coveted they really are.

The above players are the most prominent names in on-going relocation discussions. Drawing the most attention is Redd, the Bucks' rising free agent. The Cavaliers, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Rockets and Blazers have all shown intense interest, but unless Denver decides to deal Nene even up, Portland appears to have made the most intriguing salary cap relief offer, reveals a Western Conference source:

Free agent-to-be Shareef and a first-rounder for Redd and Keith Van Horn, under contract for one more ($15.694 million) season.

The injury-prone, attitude- and weight-challenged Davis also has attracted all sorts of attention despite owning $63M in guarantees over the next four seasons. Toronto, Philadelphia and Atlanta have been linked as sincere suitors, but, according to a Warriors infiltrator, Golden State phoned in a late, thought-provoking bid of Mike Dunleavy and free agent-in-waiting Dale Davis.

Marshall's 3-point shooting/rebounding/free agent status makes him exceedingly desirable. There's no telling where he'll wind up (Philly, New Orleans, Chicago, Indiana, Miami, Portland, New York), but it's a foregone conclusion he's played his last game with the Raptors.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Yeah, my highschool club also has interests in Redd. I think he'll improve our shootings alot. But what do we have to offer? Vecsey needs to provide more info before putting up this crap!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Clutch, I think that's groovy, but they better get us a ****ing point guard in any deal who is a legit backup or, and it would be too much to hope for, a freakin' starting quality one. Or both.

Strickland should be cut, and Barrett is a kid who does the best he can, but can't get it done. Ward is toast. Sura is a surgery waiting to happen, sadly, because he's been better than any of us could have expected.

I don't care about Redd, but get a POINT!! :mad:

4. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

PV is definitely smoking that la la la.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Dude, look at the big picture here. If you have a chance to add a deadly perimeter shooter that would immensely compliment your two superstars, you do it. Backup pg or no backup pg. Granted this is all dependent on being able to resign Redd, but hell I'd overpay to keep him.

A core of Yao+T-Mac+Redd is a dynasty waiting to happen. A decent backup PG is important for the next couple of months until we can go shopping in the offseason. But landing Redd would make us a bonafide championship contender every year into the next decade.

Of course I don't know how we'd be able to land him, but after that C-Webb deal, anything might be possible.

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

It just doesn't sound right though. One would almost think Vecsey screwed this up .... like he meant to put Rockets under the list of teams interested in Donyell Marshall, a list he includes later in the story (but does not include the Rockets).

I agree it would be great to get Redd... but I can't see how we can even come remotely close to getting him. We also have Wesley and Barry at the two.

7. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

WOW, now that would be crazy IF it happened... What I dont get is why would we even try, he will be a FA at the end of the year and we cannot and will not pay him the money he will command...So why would we "rent" Redd unless we think he would put us over the top to win it all... I really dont think this has ANY chance of going down...

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude, I got a perfect picture from the 24th row in SA, with my '94 t-shirt on, and Strickland was an embarrassment. That Van Gundy played him more than 5 minutes is inexplicable. Yes, Wesley got screwed by the refs, who were humping us left, right and center, but I would rather have seen Barry handle the ball. Barrett's trying, but he's a kid over his head. Argh. I'm not in a good humor.

Getting Redd would be cool, but our need is at the point. I want us to do well in the playoffs this year. This year. I don't expect a championship, but if Sura goes down for good, we are ****ed for the season. We need a point. I don't want to sell the farm but, I'll repeat it, we need a decent point! Get my point?

9. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

We "can" pay him. We would have his Bird Rights. The question is "would we?" Like I said, I would absolutely overpay to keep him. He'd be the perfect 2-guard to put next to Yao and T-Mac. This guy is a solid .400 3pt% shooter. He can catch and shoot and he's got a lightning quick release. And it seems like the new CBA will have shorter contract lengths and a higher cap, so the old rules about having 3 big contract players might not apply anymore.

10. hooroo

hooroo Member

ray allen was quoted in an article saying that he spoke to redd and redd told him he's looking at signing with whoever is going to pay him the most money rather than looking at where he can win a ring...

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Dude, look at the big picture here.

We can't get the ball over half court with our current mob of point guards - let alone to Michael Redd standing round on the perimeter waiting to shoot!

A core of Yao+T-Mac+Redd is not going to do anything for us if they can't get their hands on the ball - and the next couple of months would probably be all we had because the guy is a free agent at the end of the season anyway (which is why the Bucks are trying to move him). So he wouldn't make us a contender every year into the next decade...

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Dude, if you can get Michael Redd, who gives a rat's ass who's playing point guard. It's kind of like the T-Mac trade where the detractors screamed we wouldn't have a backup big man. The last two games proved to us how badly we need a point guard, but if you can add a young peice like Redd, you abandon all other operations. We'd also have his bird rights.

At first thought I would assume this is bogus but after seeing that Webber deal, anything is possible.

13. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I didnt think we could with Yao gonna sign for a large contract this summer and IF we still have one of the Mo or Spoon contracts left??

14. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

I LOVE Redd. Been wishing we'd get him ever since he was available in the second round of the draft. This isn't about this season, its about the chance to build a championship team. We'll get the PF and PG later. If we have the slightest chance, we should trade anybody but Yao/TMac or anything to get him, and then whatever it takes to resign him.

He won't win us a championship this year, but he'd be a piece of what would in the future. I love Barry and Wesley for this year, but they aren't the long term solution that can grow with our two stars.

The other guys that are being discussed on the trading block that I'd love to get are Tyson Chandler, Flip Murray, and Baron Davis. I'd love any of those guys. And, if we could put together any kind of package for Chandler, I'd hope we find a way to get Chris Duhon in the deal. That's still my biggest hope is a Chandler/Duhon deal. We'd have our future championship team assembled in my opinion, whatever it took to get them.

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Why not let McGrady play the point-- he almost does anyway. Having Redd to knock down threes would be awesome, but I don't know if I see it happening.

16. Man

Man Contributing Member

are y'all kidding?
    REDD? OMG
    Redd, Tmac, and Yao..All Stars man.
    Barry and Wesley would thrive in the backcourt with a strong guy like Redd to help..he's YOUNG lol.
    He can freakin shoot. He takes a lot of shots..but I'm pretty sure JVG would get him into our system.

What could we give them? Expiring contracts..TE...man omg that would be so awesome if we got him.

OMG and like another combo guard like DA or Antonio Daniels. And well power forward...we'll work on that later. Redd would be great.

If CD can get Redd, that will be amazing..and I think we would be able to contend.

#16 Man, Feb 24, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2005
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Any time spent thinking about Wade is time wasted. The ONLY way Rox are Redd-ed is IF they are a third team in a larger deal.

18. tariq

tariq Member

With Baron Davis heading to the Warriors - can we get Speedy Claxton?

-Tariq

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Did they make the Dunleavy and Davis for Davis Deal or is this assuming they pull the trigger?

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

'hot' rumor