1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kenny is a 3 (Trust me, oh yeah! I'm back)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by man532, Oct 7, 2002.

1. man532

man532 Member

Rock's supporters,

With my recent transition from Orlando to Miami, I have been out of touch, however, as stated previously in many threads, Kenny Thomas is a 3.

I know we draft Neckbar, however, it's going to take 2 or 3 years for him to contribute significantly. In addition, with Rice and Kenny in front of him, he will not get the minutes required to develop. Plus, Kenny will play better defense on the 3's than Rice or Neckbar.

I would like to see Neckbar in the rotation as 2 behind Cat to provide scoring with Kenny at the 3. Don't bring up Terrance Morris, zero.

Bench lineup
    Moochie - PG
    Neckbar - SG
    Kenny - SF
    Eddie G. - PF
    Cato - C

2. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Why not bring up Morris? Remember at the end on the day, Morris may be more talented that KT. I like your suggestion on Boki at the 2 for spot duty.

3. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Nachbar at the two just to give him some time. Torres is a better backup most of the time. A lineup that has Nachbar at 2 would be interesting if the offense went to a 3 forwards sheme. Steve at point and MT/EG at PF with Nachbar and Rice/KT. Yao would probably be a better center with this bunch because of his passing ability. That's a big lineup!

4. still-ill

still-ill Member

Kenny "Mad Dawg" Thomas should start no matter what the position.

5. codell

codell Contributing Member

I agree that Kenny will no doubt play better defence that Rice with his long arms and all. But Nachbar will get torched trying to defend 2 guards on a consistent basis.

6. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Neckbar? That sounds like a name that Jim Rome makes up for somebody...

7. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

u r kidding, right? :eek:

8. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

No, I am not kidding. KT is great and has worked on his game. If Tmo does the same over the same 3 yrs period, I cannot see why Tmo cannot get more done given his height. Remember what the knock on KT was. With Tmo the knock is mostly for things between his ears. If correctable and corrected he could be special as some on this board predicted last year.

9. Sane

Sane Member

I have no doubt in my mind that if T Mo worked on his game for 2 mroe seasons as hard as KT, he will be AT LEAST just as good a player. T-Mo is very athletic, has long arms, good leaping ability, rebounds well, plays D. Can play the 3 AND 4 effectively.

10. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Great, give him Collier's spot on the IR and have him get back to us in a couple years...

11. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Can somebody tell me when Kenny was christened "Mad Dawg?" Seriously, I'm beginning to wonder if Still-ill has a kenny shrine in is house. You know the type, a picture surrounded by candles and trinkets like locks of hair or toe nail clippings.

12. man532

man532 Member

I love Tmo, however, my man is 2 soft to play the 4 spot and looks disinterested on the floor. It appears as if what little conifdence he had is gone. Also, he is very light around the boards, no where near the level of Kenny Thomas.

However, I like his defense and could be used to shut down a hot scoring 2 or 3 guard. Bonzi Wells, Rashard Lewis, Desmond Mason, Kobe (he's added 15lbs of muscle, the boy will be unstoppable), Stoyo (he kills the Rocks),

13. MysticRyder

MysticRyder Member

Why do you think Nachbar will take 2 to 3 years? Remember he has been playing pro ball for several years.

:D :D :D :D :D

14. Truth

Truth Member

Uggh. I know:mad:

15. leehoang

leehoang Member

i knew kenny could play the three for so long

i mean he's way to quick for a four.. and has

the natural talent to be verstile

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

He didn't exactly dominate the Euro leagues last year, let alone be a steady contributer in the NBA. If we get 15 meaningfull and effective MPG from him this year I'll be happy. If we can just get 15 minutes of good offensive production (shooting a high % from 3 and the floor) coupled with 15 minutes of bad defense (I am just assuming this) that would meet my expectations for him this year.

I agree with HeyDude, the likelihood TMo ever surpasses KT as a player is remote. I have watched Tmo plenty over the last 3-4 years, I see little evidence he is as talented as KT however you want to define talent. I am not saying give up on TMo--but he is about as far from being "in the bank" as you can get while still having hope he will get there (say in contrast with Langhi or Collier, that had/has no hope to ever get there).

That is great news KT will be a SF. That was the position I was most worried about. In contrast to others, our depth wasn't there before the switch. Nachbar is a 22 year old rookie who did not tear up the Euro leagues, Rice has only played like 30 healthy games over 2 years, and I don't want to see any part of Tmo, OT or PM on the floor right now if a real game's outcome is in doubt.

I also have to think we have known the above for a while. It makes me a whole lot less disturbed that we didn't go after Russell or Lamond Murray knowing we have another legit NBA player we can count on to play the 3. By KT playing the 3 it also means there probably enough minutes to keep EG, MoT & KT happy, and we are no position to have to trade MoT or KT unless an offer is simply too good to refuse. I would like us to get working on a KT extension/new contract pretty soon.

17. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Check this thread out.

18. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I think that he will be great at the three especially against the 3s in the East I see him destroying the likes of Glenn Robinson he's rugged. That being said I think that Terrance will be awesome on defense if he is given more time he should be brought along if we are so willing to give Nachbar time why not give Tmo time to develop? This team can be very special it's better if these players are given time earlier in the season so that they can contribute in our times of need.

Man it feels good to be talking meaningfully of Basket Ball again here's for a Rocket's victory tonight.

19. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

We have all of our big guns healthy and have a real chance at the playoffs. We can't afford to use games to develop 12-15 players. I seriously doubt if TMo can make the active roster. He is just stuck at the logjam (MT, KT, EG, Rice, Nachbar). Hell, he might not make the IR! We need to keep four guards and two centers. We have some serious talent and serious roster spot battles going on. This is a very deep squad... :D