1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Daryl Morey Think the PG Position is Unimportant?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hotballa, Feb 20, 2014.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I see we traded AB today. Then I see from Zach Lowe and some other NBA people that Morey was trying all day to trade Lin. So I start thinking about last year when he just didnt try particularly hard to keep either Lowry or Dragic. He just seemed so...cavalier about Dragic's contract even though we had no PG on the roster.

I just don't get it. Now I don't know if he traded AB because he couldn't trade Lin. I hope this was his plan because to think that he was trying to do both is just so stupid. I just don't give a damn what his stupid statistics say, you need a half decent guy who can handle the ball and run the offense. Jacking up 3s and praying for bailouts on layup attempts do not work. Did we not watch the same playoff series last year? What was the plan? Run Harden's bad ankle to the ground and pray Canaan can handle it?

I know the and Lakers won without superstar PGs, but do we have MJ or Kobe on our squad?

1 person likes this.
  2. hotballa

last year = 2012, sorry I'm still stuck in 2013

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

He's certainly good at replacing PGs

Rafer -> AB -> Lowry -> Gogi -> Lin -> Bev

4. Panda23

Panda23 Member

he wasn't cavalier about Dragic, he wanted to offer a 3 year contract and keep flexibility for FA when we didn't have Harden/Howard.

Not sure why AB getting traded spurred this thought.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think he would have traded both Lin AND Brooks without getting another point guard. If the Rockets really were trying to trade Lin all day, then they likely only traded Brooks because they failed to move Lin.

6. hotballa

Because he was also trying very hard to trade Lin at the same time.

7. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

You are a fool. Lowry being moved is why we have Harden. We don't get Harden without the pick we got for Lowry.

Dragic is gone because Morey preferred to keep cap flexibility rather than give Dragic the player option.

He traded Brooks because Canann has played well and we needed more shooting wings who can rebound.

He has been trying to trade Lin because the contract isn't great and Morey is after a third star.

8. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Well I assume he wanted to bring in another PG, ala Rondo if he was to trade Lin or some package including Parsons or whoever. I'd be very surprised if Morey wasn't trying to trade or at least explore options with anybody not named Dwight or Harden.

When Lin talks broke down he was probably at the point where he thought, 'Okay we're running with Bev/Lin/Canaan, need more wing depth for a player' and then traded AB who relegated to an insurance policy.

9. hotballa

I don't think he would do anything like that either, but it just seems like he has almost a certain disdain for the PG position. I consider it one of the most important positions on the court because he's essentially the QB, and it just puzzles me that Daryl sees no problem with swapping out PGs constantly.

10. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Hotballa, tell me the truth.

Do you have CSN or not?

Did you just base this on watching nationality televised games of the Rockets?

Jeremy Lin's games yesterday was putrid no doubt.

But, the kid doesn't always shoot up lay ups and prays it will go in or just jack up threes just for the hell of it.

Yesterday no doubt he did that, but that's not always the case.

Jeremy Lin is not a complete product, so as Beverley.

I rather keep Lin and Bev instead of trading Parsons.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey is the guy who inherited Rafer Alston, VSpan, and John Lucas as PGs when he took over.

Two years later, the BACKUP PGs for the Rockets had become Aaron Brooks, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Patrick Beverley, and now Jeremy Lin. All of whom would start over Rafer Alston.

Among the things I pretty much never question Morey on is the PG position. This is even including the Linsanity event.

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

its a valid question but he has also constantly gotten good PGs without having to give up much or anything at all, so he probably doesn't find it very hard to replace PGs.

Also PG is probably the deepest position in the NBA.

13. hotballa

and what if Morey had succeeded on all 3 moves? That is my point.

eh this is a thread about a GM who I think does not care about the PG position. Don't turn this into a Lin thread

14. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

The PG position is unimportant if you have a dominant SG, check history.

15. basketballholic

There is more parity at the PG position than any other position. So it just makes sense to keep cycling and use the position to keep salaries down until you find a real difference-maker.

16. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Not-so-cleverly-disguised Lin thread

17. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Mario Chalmers x2
    Old Jason Kidd
    Derek Fisher x5
    Young Rajon Rondo
    Tony Parker x3 (Young in 1st)
    Jason Williams
    Chauncey Billups
    Avery Johnson
    Old Ron Harper x3
    Kenny Smith x2
    BJ Armstrong x2
    John Paxson

2 people like this.
  18. Reach

Reach Member

Both Parsons and Harden are better ballhandling/playmaking options than Lin (stats-wise).

At this point, all we need from the PG position is a guy who can shoot 3's and defend adequately, and these players can be had very cheaply. Trading Lin and freeing up cap-space for a star-level player is very clearly the best option from Morey's perspective.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Seriously? Calm down, drama queen.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

hot, I don't think he would have traded both away.