1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by larsv8, Jun 2, 2015.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sorry if this question was answered already. I bought Parallels 11 on a new Macbook. I had paid for Windows 8.1. on a previous Parallels version on a different Macbook (which died). I do have that product key. Now, on Parallels 11, I would like to install Windows 10. But with this "Get Windows App", it seems like I need to be running Windows to be able to get Windows 10? Can I not just get a product key for Windows 10 by entering a product key for Windows 8.1. somewhere? Thanks for any advice.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You can selectively pick which folders to sync to your computer, so it doesn't have to be all or nothing when using OneDrive.

3. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

IIRC, I did not use the 'Get Windows App'. Upon release there was a link for the full .iso from Microsoft which I used instead an just entered my key afterwards.

Be forewarned though, I and some other people are having one particular issue when using both Boot Camp and Parallels. I ended up activating on Boot Camp, but it shows as unactivated (and can't be activated) on Parallels. People who did vice versa are having the same problem, except it's activated through the VM but they can't activate it in Boot Camp. Supposedly Parallels is finally aware of the problem and working on a fix.

1 person likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

How does one force an Update
    I have a friend that wants it installed NOW and is unwilling to wait for the pop up
    I already clicked to have them added on the list
    but
    I know it will be a few before it offers to let them down load.

Rocket River

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

PM What.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

If you google forcing a windows 10 upgrade, you will find out how.

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

The sound issue is annoying. I can't automatically have the computer change to play sound through headphones when they're plugged in, or through the TV when I have an HDMI in. What's up with that?

How has that not been fixed? Or has it?

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ I've never had an issue with that. Are your sound devices prioritized accordingly?

Right-click speaker icon -> Playback devices

I have my HDMI as the default device so the sound goes to it when it is plugged in. Otherwise, the sound goes to my headphones (through my DAC)

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What I found didn't work

Rocket River

10. bobrek

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

For some reason my computer keeps thinking I'm trying to search for something. I might be playing a game with a friend etc and when it hears my voice it minimizes the game to do a bing search based off of what I said on team speak etc. .

12. what

what Member

The problem with the update now command is that it assumes that windows 10 updater is already on your computer through updates. Microsoft spent about 3 months adding these secret windows 10 updates to their regular downloads.

If I get Rocket River correctly, his friend my not have been keeping up with the windows 10 updates and therefore the solution you provide may not work.

The best way to get windows 10 without waiting is using the media creation tool here: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is the very one I used. Weird

I guess that explains it. Will try this one.
    Thanks - Truly Appreciate it

Rocket River
    Friends should not let friends stay on Windows 8

14. bobrek

I think I was up to date on all the Windows 8 updates except the most recent (typical security patches) prior to forcing the Windows 10 upgrade.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Honestly it's easier to just use the creation tool what mentioned. Pretty much re-downloads Windows 10 then installs it. You don't have to go through all the bs of going to the hidden folder and then assuming everything was downloaded for it to install.

16. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

can someone help me to update vista directly to 10?

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It worked like a Charm for me

Rocket River

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I finally took the plunge and gotta say I like the layout and performance so far. The only thing not working is the Dolby Digital. Anybody have suggestions?

Also a couple posters said that logitech wireless mouses and keyboards werent working, but it seems like they have patched that and mine is working fine.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

***BUMP AND HELP NEEDED***

Did my upgrade on my desktop on Friday, and now the wifi no longer works. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I did the ol' turn off, unplug, plug in, turn back on... but that didn't work.

It's not showing anything and seems to just not be acknowledging the presence of the wifi USB thing.

BTW I don't have wifi built in to the desktop. I just plug in one of these things:

[​IMG]

#259 Haymitch, Nov 30, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

^ most likely a driver issue. Can you plug it in via ethernet? This should automatically pull the appropriate drivers. If it doesn't, you can download the specific driver from the manufacturer's website.