1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What is wrong with Nick Kyrgios?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by FranchiseBlade, Aug 13, 2015.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

I like a good villain every now and then, but he crossed the line with this. He's still young and has time to get his act together *hopefully* but it's obvious the hype is getting to his head and his support system isn't great. His mom and brother defend all his childish actions, so he just continues to act the same way.

He has the potential to be a very good player, but his antics are too much for someone who hasn't even won a title yet.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

He does not represent me.

4. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

That's the thing. Is some of his antics can be excused because of his age, and he certainly has talent and weapons.

I would really like it if he turned it around and started making at least some better choices.

But right now, I'm definitely not a fan of his.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Tennis is such a selfish sport though.

Breeds softness as well.

Sledges like that on any other sporting field would almost be applauded - IF it even went public in the first place.

All I want to know is did Kokkinakis really get 'er done?

6. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I think Kokkinakis did have a fling with her. They were doubles partners, and there was some tennis/romance web in one of the british sites that linked those two having a fling prior to her and Stan getting together.

Here's the thing. I really want to like Kyrgios. I understand wanting to rebel when people make too big a deal of certain things. I also believe Stan said some things to Kyrgios, and whizzed the ball near his head on one of the points.

It's just at a certain point Kyrgios needs to realize what is going too far, and what is pushing the boundaries in a more tolerable way.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Not to give him a free pass, but he almost certainly suffers from some kind of mental disorder. Probably a combo of a few.

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

I had not heard that, but it would make sense.

9. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

don't think you can excuse it because of age. you have guys like nadal and djoker who won grand slams at 20.

i thought him getting hewitt as a coach would help, but i don't know if he really likes tennis. he did say he liked basketball more. he even got a dennis rodman-like haircut for the Rogers Cup.

if i had to guess though, i'd probably say he gets his act together and possibly wins the AO 2017/2018 as his first slam title

10. Panda23

Panda23 Member

I used to be indifferent to his antic, but there is a certain level of thinking, premeditation and callousness that goes into what he said to wawrinka.

Obviously it's true also with the way Stan reacted

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

What did he say?

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

After losing the first set to Stan Wawrinka during the change-over he said “Kokkinakis banged your girlfriend. Sorry to tell you that, mate.”

Stan didn't hear him, and only found out later what he said. But the mic picked it up, and so it was recorded for everyone to hear.

I feel bad for Stan's girlfriend who didn't ask for any of this crap.

13. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

And Kokkinakis right?

The feminists would be outraged otherwise.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yeah, Kokkinakis got dragged into it, but someone who's supposed to be his buddy. I feel bad for him as well. It's sad that two people who didn't ask for a bit of this get brought up in a big public controversy because Kyrgios couldn't keep his trap shut and just play tennis.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'm 100% with you on this one. I've been dying for some new blood at the top of the men's game, and preferably, some new blood with a little personality to go along with their game.

I like his game and I appreciate how he plays better on bigger stages, but so much of what he does bugs me.

As a sidenote to this situation...how does Stan continually end up getting caught up in controversy? For someone who comes off as quiet and unassuming, he sure does seem to end up in middle of stuff pretty regularly.