1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Antonio Davis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Feb 4, 2003.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

AD

The Raps need O at the 4, D at the 5, and depth.

The Rox need quality, experienced support at the 4 and 5.

Cato and Antonio Davis each have three years on their contracts, MoT four. Fourth year is for paying EG.

THIS is the deal to make, it makes sense. For Toronto and for Houston.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

no since Cato is playing great right now and AD is old, overrated, and his best years are behind him. Before the season started I would have said yes in a heart beat.

3. Nova

Nova Member

nah, screw davis. I'd rather keep Cato.... and maybe even MoT. ;)

4. walterw

walterw Member

I second.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

This guy would add veteran toughness and grit. He could do wonders for both positions.

6. carayip

carayip Member

AD is very old and has a terrible contract. No way we tie overselves with him.

7. walterw

walterw Member

Yeah, He has all that. But I wonder he still has the physical strengh to back it up in the TOUGH west conference.
    Old Charles Oakley could not even find play time in Washington.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ancient Oak.

Contract? Take the sum of the two going out and delete a year.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I went ahead and changed your subject from "AD" to "Antonio Davis" so people would have a clue...

:rolleyes:

10. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

after the deal is done can we call him AD?

11. Sane

Sane Member

Antonio Davis?

If we're paying the MAX for that type of player, I'd rather get Brian Grant, who we could probably have for Cato and Rice or MoT.

Antonio Davis is 34 I think with 3 MAX years left on his contract. Maybe if there was a team option by the end of next year. But no way for 3 years.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Nap! Cato is too valuable for the Rockets since Yao can only play 20+ good minutes this year. Davis will really help the Rockets with his veteran leadership, which is what this team lacks. But his contract is too big for his contribution.

I'd like the Rockets to sign a H. Grant type team player, who can provide leadership, gives 8-10 minutes backup at 4 or 5, plays good helping D, and more importantly, doesn't demand more shots or playing time.

13. James23

James23 Member

davis is more of an offensive big man than a defensive one, so no rockets shouldn't trade cato for him. dale davis might be better for the rox.

#13 James23, Feb 4, 2003
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2003
  14. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

:confused:

15. James23

James23 Member

i meant dale davis of blazers.

16. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Didn't I make this deal, and many of you guys laughed at the idea because you felt Toronto was giving up too much?

Well the only I can say is that Davis plays better in the second half of the season, and even better in the playoffs, if you check his stats.

Remember, he single-handedly brought the Raptors to the playoffs by winning 13 games in a row after Vince Carter got injured.

AD + Hunter

Cato + Rice + lottery-protected first rounder

17. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

Good deal. We can throw in Eddie if we have too also..

18. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

Are you being sarcastic? Or would you really consider giving up EG?

btw, Hunter and Rice's contract expire the same year. Davis' and Cato's contract expire the same year.

19. gamer4Life

gamer4Life Member

After watching the Rockets against the Raptors, Antonio Davis seems like the perfect fit for the Rockets. The guy has probably played in more playoff games than all of the Rockets combined (remember his years with Indiana). And remember that winning streak at the end of last season that helped the Raptors get into the playoffs! Although it takes him a while to start playing well, he plays well in the second half of the season and in the playoffs.

Antonio Davis is the answer for the Rockets!

Davis + Hakeem + Morris Peterson

for

Rice + Cato + Griffin (or lottery protected 1st round pick)

20. Sane

Sane Member

We'd be really dumb to take Antonio Davis.

He's 35 years old. His best FG% in the last 3 years is 43.3%, mainly because he takes too many jumpers than he should. He also makes MAX money.

Let's say this once, and after you read it, make sure it sticks with you until the current CBA runs out and they write a new one:

Never, under ANY cirmustances, AT ALL, take an undeserving MAX contract. NEVER. This is a rule. You just don't do it anymore.

Now, you're proposing we take AD, who, at 35 years old, has 3 MAX years left on his contract, with no opt-out clause? So, at some point, we'll have 37 year-old and 38-year old Antonio Davis getting the MAX from us?

He's not that good. He shoots horrible from the field for a big man, and last year proved that he can't play the 4, and his age is making his lack of height at the 5 a factor.

What we want at the 4, can be had for less than 4M. Tyrone Hill, Anthony Mason, PJ Brown, Charles Oakley are all available this offseason.

If we're going to take on a MAX player, I'd rather take Reef or Jalen Rose. Those guys will improve our team big time. Still, we won't take on an underserving MAX player. Especially not AD.