1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A simple take on Ty Lawson from the perspective of a recovered alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jfbradley1985, Jul 21, 2015.

1. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

I don't post very many threads, nor do I comment very often, but I'm a diehard Rockets fan, and for that matter, a born and raised Houston sports fan. Along with this identity for people on this forum to relate to, I'm also an alcoholic... A recovered alcoholic who celebrated four years a few days ago at 29 years old and have a pretty knowledgeable perspective on the disease by my life surrounding what recovery is about every day. The reason I'm posting this are for people who might have a misunderstanding on what Lawson might be going through and what should be the expectation on a player who could very well be a catalyst for our team to finally bring home another ring.

(Discretion: this is only on the assumption he has a problem which neither I nor anyone else can rightly determine.)

I've seen so many people, both media and posters who declare that a change of scenery within Houston would be a good thing. Being on a winning team could help him out! My take is that this is only a half truth. Although a change of scenery is a positive, nothing can stop this man from taking a drink no matter the circumstances or where he goes. He can be within the greatest situation of his life and there would be no stopping him from having just one more... And one more... And one more.

Which brings me to this next point. Most misconstrue how his production has not slipped. Most would assume this is a life of a functional alcoholic, or his resilience against alcohol not affecting his play won't ever be a factor because of what history has shown. Here in lies the problem. I'm my experience, once the spotlight was starting to shine on my alcoholism and the problems it was causing, how people started to not only suspect but become afraid of how alcohol was affecting my life, my alcoholism began to accelerate at a speed beyond my own belief and control. This is where Ty is at, 2 DWI's in 6 months, the media coverage, the pressure; the spotlight is on him now. He is now at a crossroads. Will he take the help?

This is my last take on where this can go, and what my experience was that is somewhat similar to his. I was lucky enough not to lose everything before I got help. I was on the same crossroads Ty looks to be in; on the cusp of losing everything (again assuming he has a problem.) The one thing Ty needs is the willingness to buy into a program that can help him find a new perspective on life. He can either be the guy who loses everything and finally admits defeat like so many others who I know, or he has a chance to experience a similar story to mine. A story of someone who on the outside looking in had so many things to be proud of and grateful for, but was all clouded by my alcoholism. Now four years later, having a better life than I could have ever imagined even before the journey of alcoholism I am grateful for.
    Not sure, what protocol on a topic like this is, but if anyone has any questions on the disease, feel free to ask. As said before, the reason I wanted to post this is because, everyone understands that if Ty Lawson has the right frame of mind the Rockets has an even better chance than last year to win a title. (I apologize for the long postand thank you for reading.)

28 people like this.
  2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

legend, keep going mate!

i think everyone has been affected by some form of substance abuse in their family and people like you are a great example for others

3. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

Congrats on staying sober.

Hopefully, TY can take advantage of any assistance the ROX offer him and this issue can get resolved for his sake.

Lastly, alcoholism is one thing, but DUI's are another....he better not drive around intoxicated in Texas, especially in Austin.

4. jfbradley1985

jfbradley1985 Member

Just wanted to share also that, I was facing a third DWI myself in Texas, they are no joke, I agree. Texas might throw the book at him knowing he has priors in other states.

5. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I'm an alcoholic too. Congrats on four years and thanks for the post.

6. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Best post I've seen on Lawson.

7. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

Lawson >Teague/Schroder

8. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Yes, 4 DUI's is certainly > 0

9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Dead on perspective and great post - thank you for sharing. I am also a recovering alcoholic (just shy of two years). And, I was also highly functioning right until the end, when things started to accelerate at an unbelievable pace.

I am nervous for this transition for Ty. Many, many alcoholics have tried "changes of scenery" and it rarely works. Neither does a forced stint in a 30-day clinic ... unless the person honestly wants the change and believes he has no choice but stop drinking or die. Even then, without experienced people to guide him through the HOW of stopping (people who realize that it isn't just willpower or "learning to drink like a man" or "quit while you're ahead"), he won't make it. If Lawson is a real alcoholic - and none of us knows for sure if he is - then his days of social drinking and partying are over. But if he doesn't truly believe this, then his problems will re-emerge at the worst time.

To an alcoholic, drinking is a deeply engrained habit and coping mechanism he uses escape from life or from his own thoughts, combined with a chemical obsession that kicks in once he has the first sip which compels him to drink to oblivion and inhibits rational thought. That isn't something a "change of scenery" will fix. Only the combination of a deeply felt need to change and a collection of new habits and ways of thinking that help him avoid the first drink will. Hopefully if Lawson needs those, he will get them.

2 people like this.
  10. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Congratulations on your journey.

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Hoping he accepts the help from John Lucas.

12. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Thanks for sharing and congrats, keep going forward. As a celebrity athlete, it is very hard to stay away from the limelight. Anywhere you go, you are invited to parties and sporting events. For a normal person I do believe a.change of scenery or entourage can help someone with alcoholism. I think John Lucas is going to get Ty back on track.

13. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

Congrats on your milestone in your sobriety man.

14. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Congrats on being sober x 4 years, OP.

One of my favorite sayings is: "It is not how you start, but it is on how you finish". That simple sentence can be applicable to anything in life, whether it be a game of basketball or whether you can beat your demons. If one has lived long enough in this life, he or she will have some skeletons in the closet, but it is how we handle them that will be determinative of who we will be.

15. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

cool post, brad.

not so much into labeling others as alcoholics (pg 31 of a certain book that rhymes with "shanaynay"). may be immaturity, crappy life decision-making, or dysfunctional elevator? you know... stuff that normal folks are also capable of having. who knows if he's to stop?

glad cml threw the "if he is an alcoholic" in there.

16. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

I'm really surprised that post was so awesome.

Really interesting. My dad (whom I haven't spoken to in 28 years) and his dad are/were alcoholics. I don't drink, and I've never had any sympathy for any addicts. I don't know if that has changed. It is kind of cool to hear an alcoholic's perspective though, as I never discussed stuff like that with my dad (I was a kid). TMI!!!! My bad! Thanks

17. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you for sharing all this.
    If HE doesn't want to change, and admits is his problems a change of scenery on its own won't be enough. Admittance is the fist step.

18. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Super happy for you! Congratulations on turning your life around.

Call out to God when you need him.

19. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I try to understand where some people are coming from. I know a guy who did 8 years in Iraq. He's seen just about everything. He's seen too much and suffers from very bad PTSD. He can't sleep at night, so he uses alcohol to sleep, and while I don't think this is ideal, I can surely sympathize. Sometimes certain drugs are a form of medication. Would he be less of an addict if he was taken the 5 or 6 prescription drugs that doctors prescribe? Who knows? My point is, few things in life are black and white.

1 person likes this.
  20. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

Uhh I'm drunk right now...
    [​IMG]