1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A simple take on Ty Lawson from the perspective of a recovered alcoholic.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jfbradley1985, Jul 21, 2015.

1. frontline94

frontline94 Member

While I cannot empathize, I can certainly recognize the work you have to put into becoming sober so congrats on that and great post!

I think you made two really excellent points in that coming here / getting a new experience is only half the battle, which I agree with. Nonetheless, I think it is an important half that can help his potential alcoholism. Granted it may be just as likely that he's really simply reckless and doesn't drink anymore than lets say Harden, but is really bad at containing it. That's what I'm hoping for.

You're spot on about alcoholism being tougher than simply changing one's environment. However, I think and am inclined to believe his DUI's speak to his recklessness and immaturity than a deep rooted issue of alcoholism. That may just be a hope.

2. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

People feel so wise when they say things like this.

3. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Thanks, jfbradley. I truly appreciate the offer. Maybe one day I'll take you up on it. I also struggle with major depression, type 1 bipolar disorder, fibromyalgia, and chronic Lyme disease, and each of these things is more difficult for me to manage than turning down a drink. I struggle with sobriety because I am socially anxious and I can be the life of the party if I drink and the death of the party if I don't. But that struggle is low on my list of personal struggles. And I am not tempted to drink. I say it's hard because it's isolating, but the phenomenon of "floating" wrt Lyme (link below) is a much bigger piece of that isolation than not drinking or not being social is. I'm far too sick to be social anyway. Again, many thanks for your offer of help. I'm here to talk and listen too if you ever need a willing ear. Nobody gets through this alone.

This is my greatest struggle. I used booze to medicate. I know better than to ever try that again.

http://www.tiredoflyme.com/floating.html#.Va_-KxNViko

4. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Also, the consequences of my alcoholism are too extreme to post here. Be assured though, I lost everything, many times over, as a result of it.

5. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I've been sober 3 separate times. 5, 11 & now 5 years. I like to binge drink, didn't need it everyday. I liked to drink until I was drunk. The only way I conquered sobriety was by renewing my relationship with a higher power.

Ty Lawson has some demons. Hopefully he can learn to deal with them.

6. sabesque

sabesque Member

Shouts out to all the people of ClutchFans who work hard on making themselves better every day (in addition to the ways ya'll make this board better).