1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Andrew Wiggins?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think the Cavs should have kept him, but how good is he? I think he was the most hyped prospect since Lebron (Maybe greg oden,KD, or AD were more hyped).

He has put up some scoring numbers, but his PER is 13.2 and VORP is either 0 or negative. I was scanning through the list of top 10 guys over the last 15 years and no one's Vorp or PER was quite so bad.

Where does he end up?

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Already a dominant wing defender, elite athlete, and has proven capable of being able to have some big nights offensively. He's going to be very good.

3. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Cavs dun effed up

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Low efficiency, high minutes.

13 PER. Good role players to second option in the future. Extremely overrated right now.

5. what

what Member

He has elite athleticism and he has skills. But right now everything is based on his reputation alone.

People are projecting him to be the next Dominique Wilkins. From what you've seen so far are any of you willing to say that he's going to be Nique?

I think it is crazy talk to put him in that glass right now.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Lots of potential. He's only 19. Plays defense and has upside on offense as well

7. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

He reminds me of young Sean Elliott.

8. CJLarson

CJLarson Member

You're asking the wrong question. More importantly, how good will he become?

9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think Wiggins will become very good. Not a generational player like LeBron or MJ, but at least a star.

Remember, Durant's first years were terrible. He was a chucker with no defense.

10. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Ceiling of T-Mac.

11. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Extreme ceiling (if everything goes 100% right) is a slightly poor man's Tracy McGrady. Not the T-Mac from his prime Orlando years/ 1st year with Houston but the good McGrady that the Rockets had after his first season here. Wiggins still needs to develop a more reliable jump shot and he will probably never be the passer McGrady was but the athleticism is there. Could be a much greater defensive presence than McGrady since McGrady, while drafted to be a defensive stopper, put more focus on offense later in his career.

More likely, Wiggins will be a poor man's Scottie Pippen. Amazing defender but can never be the clear alpha dog to a championship caliber team. If he is your first option, option 2 has to be almost as good as him.

I can see Wiggins being a similar player to Paul George, who is kind of a poor man's Scottie Pippen.

12. Juxtaposed Jolt

Memory is fuzzy, but the Cavs could have had LeBron, Kyrie and Wiggins, right?

Kyrie / Wiggins / LeBron / Thompson / Mozgov

Holy moly.

13. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Not even sure what they're doing in Minny, dont even know if he has free reign to stat pad. Wiggins probably should be doing better as "the man" in Minny. Though wouldnt make an ultimate conclusion on him based on PER and VORP.

There have been plenty superstars and Hall of Famers who did come storming out the gate their first year in the league:
    Steve Nash, Kobe Bryant, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Scottie Pippen, Clyde Drexler. They were mediocre or just bad their rookie years. Dirk Nowitzki was worse, probably a comparable situation there him coming into a patchwork franchise in transition trying to find an identity

I think "Paul George" type star is a good projection. He wont be a bust, can win with right pieces around him, will have some highlight plays. Though not worth the "once in a generation" hype.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Cavs definitely shouldn't have traded him for a scrub like Kevin Love

15. Exiled

Exiled Member

Best case : DeRozen

16. getbloodyred

getbloodyred Member

Not sure. With a talent like this, it's hard to project their career. Does he have the potential to be one of the greatest of all time? I would say that he has enough talent for sure. It's about how much he WANTS it. A lot of people have all the talent in the world, but don't make anything of themselves.

Best-case: Dwayne Wade type of a career. A few rings. Perennial all star. Best or second best at position for years.

Worst-case: Harden (OKC). Great off the bench for a contender. He'd be a better defender for sure. This would be like rock bottom, assuming he doesn't go Larry Sanders on us.

I personally think he could reach Dwayne Wade level. If not, he'll probably fill a nice Jimmy Butler kind of role.

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

He has all to tools but lacks to mentality to dominate. He just doesn't believe that he needs to prove that he is the best person on the court every night. He didn't have this in college either.

18. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Really good.

19. Zbed

Zbed Member

Wiggins has a much better jumper/3 ball than DeRozan

20. OremLK

OremLK Member

Floor = Poor man's Paul George
    Ceiling = Agree with T-Mac comparison.

If healthy of course.