1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Morey] Sloan Sports Conference 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DrewP, Mar 3, 2011.

1. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Anyone else going?

I just checked into my hotel in Boston.

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I wanted this to be my spring break trip but the dates didn't align. Let us know how it is.. I'm jealous.

3. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I won't be there, but I'll watch it via the webcast.

4. HMMMHMM

The webcast was down for a while, but it's been pretty interesting so far.

Some quotes (via twitter):

[rquoter]
    At the #ssac - 1500 ppl in attendance and 300 more on waiting list. 53 pro sports teams represented.

Nba teams here: bos chi cle dal den gsw hou ind mil min mem noh nyk orl okc por sac sas was - could be more unlisted

JVG: McGrady "had Hall of Fame gifts", as close as he's ever seen to a perfect natural talent #ssac

#ssac "the natural" beats the "non-natural" when each has 10,000 hours of work put in.

Morey also considers McGrady the most gifted player he ever had... But did it get in the way of him reaching his full potential? #ssac

Daryl morey talking about goal being championship, not just being above average team - fans love to hear this from gm #ssac

JVG: "Soft, selfish, and stupid -- you can be one of those, but not 2" #ssac

JVG calls Yao Ming the model athlete when asked about the most coachable player he worked with, names Battier also. #ssac

Conversation: Early talent can impede development b/c it keeps some phenoms from developing necessary work ethic #SSAC

Dmorey: we pick flaws more than we pick attributes (free agents/draft) #ssac

Jvg: you want a certain stubbornness to your best players. Doesnt want someone perfectly compliant. Coachable but stubborn #ssac

JVG, re: Bonzi: "I should put fat in there as that fourth attribute." #ssac

Dmorey: big men with lower iq better chance to succeed than guards. "see shot block shot" #ssac

Intelligence: Morey: more important on defense than offense. Learning helps anticipation. Basketball penalizes mistakes heavily. #ssac

Morey said he's had just one dumb wing player who was effective, and he would only attack the basket or shoot. Poor defender. Guesses? #ssac

Morey: The skills that put you in the NBA are not necessarily the skills that make you a good FT shooter, especially for bigs #ssac[/rquoter]

1 person likes this.
  5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

How much you wanna bet this is a reference to Ricky Davis while Morey was with the Celtics?

6. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I'd guess Jermain Taylor? Immediately who I thought of. I find all of these quotes interesting however. Especially the ones about being a championship team, not just average and the quote about McGrady being the most talented player he's ever coached/seen. I've always thought the same, but did he not work hard enough or was it just injuries? *shrug*

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

it says "who was effective"

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Luther Head?

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

It's Von Wafer.

10. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Ha, Winner!!

11. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

Von Wafer. Got my reply in too late. Guy was nicknamed Radio by some people.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Hahahaha, can't believe I missed him. Of course it's Von Wafer.

13. CXbby

CXbby Member

Caught the tail end of the segment that just ended with JVG and Daryl. Great stuff. Any way to watch it again from the start?

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

JVG - biggest unfulfilled talent he ever had, Stromile Swift, not a bad guy but did not love the game.

Morey - we get lots of players that took up basketball because they were big, didn't love or understand the game, in Boston Marcus Banks had all the tools when he came in, but told us his ultimate goal was to be a male fashion model, that was a huge red flag.

15. HMMMHMM

If I recall corretly they recorded most, if not all panels last year.

A few more quotes from the 'Birtht to Stardom: Developing the Modern Athlete in 10,000 Hours' panel:

[rquoter]
    Morey: you need stars in nba. Having a bunch of coachable guys is just enough to get beat. #ssac

JVG #ssac : Charles Oakley (Va union) smarter on court than Chris Dudley (Yale). Oakley knew his value.

JVG: Give a player a USA Today... If he goes to sports section 1st, he's a keeper. If he goes to financial section, toss him. #ssac

Jvg: charles oakley a rocket scientist on the court. Off court and on court iq not necessarily the same. #ssac

Morey: "Psychology is the next frontier" Gladwell: "Psychology was the old frontier... it was replaced by analytics" #ssac

Van Gundy would rather concretely know a player's psychology and use his eyes on talent than know his talent and guess at his psych #ssac

JVG giving good stuff today. "For most players, the love of the game goes before the body goes."

Morey: We like players who know they are going to be. Guys who want to be MJ but have no chance are a problem. #ssac (hello Marshon Brooks)

Jvg: biggest missed opportunity he ever coached: stromile swift. Not tough enough, not enough love for game #ssac

JVG: Stromile Swift. Effort level, love of game were his issues. Great guy, just didn't have same expectations from self as I did. #ssac

Daryl Morey - biggest "could have been so much better" - Marcus Banks #ssac

Morey said they asked Banks what he wanted to be... Banks said "Male fashion model" #ssac[/rquoter]

Lol @ Marcus Banks.

16. DrewP

I'm at the conference and i'm taking notes. You guys got most of the interesting quotes from first panel but I have some more to add later. If you guys are interested i will post my notes from other panels.......?

1 person likes this.
  17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

18. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yes please!

19. DrewP

are you here?

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Good stuff...i agree about wafer, he never did anything else besides shoot or drive.