1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone have any recommendations for guitar lessons?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by seclusion, Jan 15, 2015.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I realize this will be a bit of a limiting factor, but it's why I'm asking for suggestions! (Note: I'm not looking for online instruction) It really needs to be on the West side of Houston (i10/highway6 area, or 290/34th), and I'd prefer someone who is mostly on the modern rock/punk side of the spectrum. I've seen several instructors nearby, but they seem to be mostly jazz/country/classic rock influenced. While that's all fine and good, and I'm sure most are more than competent instructors, I really want to find a good fit. Lessons are expensive enough as is, I don't want to waste what little time I do have available.

THXU

2. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Not sure about instructor, but I would give Rocksmith a try until you are able to find a legit teacher. I was actually learning quite a bit until I stopped playing the game

3. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Haha, you know I started the Rocksmith thread on here -- yeah? I appreciate the advice none the less, but I'm really looking for an instructor I can work with face to face.

#3 seclusion, Jan 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Ah, my bad. I knew somebody had started a thread I should've figued it was you man, lol

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I remember the good old days taking guitar lessons. The instructor basically started preaching all this theory crap about chords and scales. Then, we abandoned it because I wanted him to teach me songs from my favorite bands. Guitar teachers are so easy to sway. lol

6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Go to the nearest guitar center and ask around.

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If you aren't doing classical guitar I would just avoid lessons.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

No thanks, at this point I don't trust their opinions.

Reason?

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Take piano lessons instead. Much more satisfying.

10. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

...was that really helpful?

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

have you checked out craigslist? there are tons of teachers with ads on there.

i know you said NOT online, but the best guitar teacher you have is youtube. you can learn any style you want, any song you want, scales, chords, ect all for free.

i taught myself acoustic delta blues off a few different youtube channels. nile rodgers does all these master classes and puts them online. that dude is a guru of funk. i learned a ton from him.

if you are a beginner though, going to a teacher is a good idea. but you specifically said you wanted to play punk rock, and im pretty sure punks dont take guitar lessons. its all power chords and attitude brah.

and actually, piano lessons would be helpful for any musician, but especially guitar. i took piano lessons and it absolutely helped with my guitar playing, as far as expanding my chord vocabulary and theory.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Took a year of guitar in college, I needed three more elective hours my last semester to graduate. I also have played sax and piano for almost 20 years. As a musician I can tell you that the style that your teacher has is irrelevant. All that theory and chords crap that a poster mentioned earlier is really all that matters. Learn that, and you'll be able to play ANY style of music, and you'll also be able to pick up other instruments with ease later.

You wouldn't learn Geolerry or Calculas without picking up basic math skills first. It may not be what you want to hear or do, but if you're serious, that's the route that you'll take. Be more then the guy who can just strum a few chords along with a John Mayer song or two.

13. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Yes, I have. I haven't had issues finding options, I was simply seeing if I could find a recommendation through a trusted source.

I'm okay with the suggestion of theory. I figured I would meet the instructor and the first thing they'd suggest is music theory. With that said I have issues with my technique that I would like help with.

I listen to a lot of different types of music, and I think that "punk is just power chords" thing is just a stereotype. There are plenty of bands that are technically sound that could be considered "punk". Truth be told if I had to pick any artist I'd like to emulate it's Matt Bellamy of Muse (and he writes his music on piano then converts to guitar).

With that said I barely have enough time to devote to one instrument (not to mention money), so I'd like to focus there for now. Thanks for the input!

Actually that's exactly what I want. I can already play songs, I want to know what I'm playing and why.

Is it not still a good idea to supplement that with live 1:1 instruction? I feel like I'm already developing bad techniques, and I have issues with certain chord shapes (my hands are large). I've already started working on a bit of the theory side of things, and I'm glad to know I'm on the right track. Thank you!

#13 seclusion, Jan 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  14. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Get a midi controller. I recommend the Ableton Push. I have played the guitar since I was 14 and since I bought the Ableton Push two years ago, I practically haven't played the guitar since then.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N3IPaTg_oVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if they are using more than 3 fingers to make a chord then it is not punk rock. OI!!!

muse is punk? glenn danzig buying kitty litter says "NO!".

[​IMG]

as someone mentioned...you want a teacher who is going to push you out of your comfort zone. if you learn a bunch of jazz chords and theory it will be really easy to step back and do what you want to do. they will also teach you proper technique.

i took piano lessons to learn blues and country and americana-type stuff. nothing super complicated, but he had me learning a bunch of jazz standards with really challenging chords (G#m7 with a flat 5th...stuff like that)...but now when i go back and do more "primitive" stuff its easy! i learned some stevie wonder songs and holy crap, that was the toughest! ive never seen anybody put such complex chords together and make it so natural and musical. it was challenging as hell, but i learned alot.

#15 jo mama, Jan 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  16. MystikArkitect

Taking a lesson at Vivaldi later. I'm definitely into modern blues (Black Keys, Jack White) or contemporary (Smashing Pumpkins, RHCP) with Zeppelin and Floyd mixed in.

Been "playing" for years but never got good just youtubing and Rocksmith. Want some actual direction. I can let you know how I like it but it's in Bellaire area.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I didn't say Muse was punk rock. Thanks for the advice, and I really like Stevie Wonder. I'd love to be able to play any of his music. There is a course on coursera.org regarding Jazz Improvisation from Berklee College of Music that I have watched a bit of.

Unfortunately I feel like I need more background in actual musical theory to take advantage of it.

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

That's a lot of the stuff that I play as well, I'd love to hear about it. Bellaire isn't far from where I'm moving to next month (290 / 610 area). Is there a website I can go to?

19. MystikArkitect

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

look online, also, I'm sure we have some guitarists out here on CF that teach in their free time. I stopped a couple of years ago because I no longer had time, but if you are starting it REALLY is worth it to start off with the basics through a teacher like others have said. I started with the self taught and took the time to learn the basics later on...and thats when I finally really enjoyed playing.