1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shane Battier

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Bonomaniac, May 25, 2003.

1. Bonomaniac

Bonomaniac Member

Would any of you guys think he's worth trying to acquire? I think he's a good nuts and bolts kind of player who can serve the Rockets well.

2. kermit

kermit Member

I still like Posey better than Battier. I think he orks just fine and I still like the idea of having Rice's contract to dump next year. I just wish we could somehow trade MoT and get PJ Brown. I think he would help this team. A work horse and perhaps a mentor for Griffin. Perhaps his old coach, SILAS, could help us out on that front. He is beginning to make more sense for this team. Big man who can teach Yao more and keep our guards in check.

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Battier doesn't play that many minutes in Memphis for a reason, he's just not good enough. He's got that Duke stigma of having been a better collegian than pro, and he has done nothing to disprove it so far

4. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I don't know what Battier you're talking about, but Shane Battier averaged this last year:

30.6 mpg
    .483 fg%
    .398 3pt%
    .828 ft%
    4.4 rpg - not spectacular, but adequate.
    1.3 apg - his one poor stat.
    1.31 spg
    1.13 bpg
    0.87 turnovers per game
    9.7 ppg - based on his fg%, I'd have to say he doesn't get many shots on goal.

I'd love to have him on the Rockets. He'd be a solid role player & a solid citizen as well.

5. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

He's not much different than Posey. From the way Posey was playing at the end of the year, I would stick with him for now.

6. SLA

SLA Member

Battier looks like he is 35 years old. But he's young.

He can shoot 3 pointers.

He is a good defender.

He's a hustler.

He has a good midrange shot.

He looks strong.

He would fit well with the Rockets.

He can play both the 2 and the 3.

I would love to acquire him.

Don't know how...

7. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Everyone is forgeting the one area Posey is actually good at and that's running the floor. He loves to get out and run and that alone gives us an extra 10 or so points a game which is in many cases the difference.

8. SamFisher

I don't know what Battier you're talking about. He was the college player of the year, a top draft selection. He didn't even start on a bad team this year after they got Mike Miller.

9 points a game? 4 rebounds 1 assist? ; "solid role player" is a nice goal if you are fresh off the boat from the filipino league, but to say that he is not a disappointment..well it's a HUGE step down from his college performance.

At best, he's a slightly less athletic version of posey. big deal.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Battier is a much better player than Posey.

Battier is also MILES smarter...I would trade Cuttino for Battier in a nanosecond.

DD

10. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

im with you on the cat trade.. but posey, i dunno..

11. tsl99

tsl99 Member

Battier is a perfect fit for Rockets, good defender and can shoot the open three.

I think Lakers may want to get him too.

12. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

If any player gave a team 10 extra points a game by running the floor, more players would do it.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Dada

You have GOTSTA be kidding
    BAttier is ok . . . . But i don't even think he is
    good enough to be a poor man's DOUG CHRISTIE
    [I would entertain offers of Mobley for christie]

Rocket River
    last year . . the mythical word was POTENTIAL!!
    EVERYONE LOVED POTENTIAL
    CATO . . POTENTIAL
    EDDIE POTENTIAL
    MO T . . POTENTIAL
    Everyone Fell in love with POTENTIAL and paid madd money for it

This year's mythical words
    BASKETBALL IQ
    :rolleyes:

14. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Battier would be a better Jon Berry - perfect to backup Steve at the two. I'd rather have him than Cuttino on the bench. I'd be happier in the minutes with Steve at the one with Battier helping at 2. He shoots better than Cuttino and doesn't need to dribble, too.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Battier is way better then he gets credit for...he averaged 15pts as a rookie, and is a good defender and is VERY smart.

A heady smart player that plays hard is exactly what the Rocks need.

Getting rid of Mobley for him may be a downgrade in individual talent but a huge boost for the team game.

DD

16. SLA

SLA Member

I WOULD NOT do that trade..........actually maybe.

Cuttino for Battier and a 2nd round pick. ;)

17. SamFisher

Yep, 15 points as a rookie and 9 points as a sophomore. That's not a very encouraging trend.

Yeah, he's smart off the court compared to Moochie Norris, but apparently his basketball IQ wasn't enough to land him a starting job ahead of mike miller.

18. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

his role was smaller as a soph

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I agree.

Mike Miller starts ahead of him...Battier sucks and must not have that great of a basketball IQ.

Battier doesn't take as many shots as he did the season before...he sucks.

Needless to say, I don't quite understand your logic. All I can conclude is that you're just another Duke-hater.

Uh...so what? He's performed better than probably 95% of the draft picks that were taken after him that season.

Again...so what? Because he's not as dominating as he was in college you don't think he's worth acquring? And you make fun of "solid role players" like they're so easy to find. Can you explain why this current Rockets team can't seem to find one? I hate to say it, but the Rockets best role player is Kelvin Cato.

Except he's about ten times more savvy of a player than Posey, and a better outside shooter. Increasing this team's overall FG% should be a goal of next season, considering they were one of the worst in the NBA last year.

I think Battier would be a perfect fit for this team. His shooting accuracy is very good. He doesn't needlessly dribble the ball or take wild shots. He doesn't make mistakes (not even 1 turnover per game last season). He plays tough defense. Is a good rebounding small forward. Takes charges better than anyone in the league. I can't come up with anything negative to say about him, except he's not real a flashy player...actually, I think that's a good thing.

20. SamFisher

My logic is that Shane Battier is not nearly as good in the NBA as he was in the NCAA. You admitted as much yourself, I don't see why you don't understand it.

A duke hater? I guess if you want to call me that you can. But it's not an exaggeration to say that Duke players don't enjoy the same degree of success in the NBA as they did in college.

Somebody was saying he was a solid role player, Fine and dandy for him. And I never said he wasn't, but yo can't tell me that going from National player of the year to solid role player in 2 years isnt a precipitous decline.

As for the Posey comparison, my reasoning stands. He is less athletic and contributes about the same. Maybe he does have a higher "basketball IQ", which makes up for the fact that he can't run as fast or jump as high, but we will never know as basketball IQ is a made up intangible that can't be quantified.