1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My friend is considering donating his seed to help his best friend have a child...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by 3fingeredgus, Sep 27, 2002.

1. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Ok, here's a real interesting situation. I've changed the names of those involved because I don't want to publicize my friend's business..

Anyway, my buddy, "Gerald", has been living with his best friend, "Martha", for about 4 years since graduating from college. They have been good friends for a long time, but nothing more. Gerald has told me that he thinks Martha is the most incredible woman he's ever met, but they'd never work as a couple because she can't deal with one of his habits (pot smoking) which he partakes in daily. She has said that he would be boyfriend material except for that part of his lifesytle. This has been their only point of contention in all the time they've known each other.. They've both been in various relationships since they've been living together, etc. Ok, so there's the background.

Martha just broke up with her latest boyfriend this week and told Gerald that although she's single, she's decided she would like to be a single mother and have a child within the next year and a half. She asked Gerald if he would be willing to donate sperm to help her have a child.

He called me asking for advice because he'd love to help her, but he has some concerns.

1) If he helps create a child, he's going to want to help raise it.
    2) He had been planning on moving with me to Boston a year from now and this would definitely change that.
    3) He does not want to make a baby in a lab w/ a test tube and insists that they do this the old fashioned way, if it happens. I guess she has agreed to that part of it.

My initial thoughts:

I've known that he's always had a special place for Martha and if the conditions were right, he would jump at the opportunity to hook up with her. However, he is not ready to give up the pot smoking (believe me - the guy has no will power) but he hopes to find the 'right woman' to change him for good. This logic is inherently flawed in my opinion because I think that if you won't change yourself, you can't really expect other people to change you. I also think that if you don't like something you're doing, than why do it? Anyway, my point is that I don't think he and her could work as a couple unless he totally changes his lifestyle and I don't foresee him doing that anytime soon.

Ok, so if they are not going to be a couple, and he's had feelings for her, yet they engage in sexual activity to create a child, I feel like they could be putting a big strain on their friendship. It seems like sex always changes things, whether its for good or bad. Knowing my friend, if he has sex with her (and it would have to be several occasions unless he's got super sperm), he's going to fall harder for her and want more than she may be willing to give him. Therefore, he's setting himself up to be emotionally hurt which could potentially alienate them from each other and him from their child.

Lastly, if he really wants to be an active part in this child's life, but they are not a couple, he's basically going to have to live the rest of his life based on where she and the child are, unless he's willing to have a less active role from a distance, but I don't think that's what he'd want. I guess the fact that they are living together currently would alleviate this problem for the near future, but if he really wants to move to the East Coast ,as he's been talking about for years now, that could really pose a problem.

sorry this so lengthy. Its really interesting in my opinion and I'd like to hear your opinions.. Based on what little info I've provided, do ya'll think this would be a good idea? What other concerns might I present to him so he can make the best informed decision possible? Thanks.

-gus

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

parenthood is not something to be entered into lightly...this is the creation of a child who needs a mommy and a daddy...and needs some stability. they know better than i whether or not they can afford that stability -- and i don't mean from a financial perspective.

3. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I agree completely.. I guess I didn't even touch on what was best for the child and that's definitely the most important thing here. From what I can tell, she's totally prepared to have the child as a single mother and has decided the baby doesn't need a father, but my buddy wouldn't just want to sit on the sidelines so that's a huge factor they'd really need to consider. I'm sure it will be quite some time before they make a decision on this because they both realize they need to be absolutely sure its the right thing to do.

4. MadMax

wow...what a bold decision to make for your child. it's one thing if your husband leaves you...or if you need to leave him...quite another to say, "screw it...daddys are overrated! kids don't NEED daddys!" it may not be politically correct to call that foolish...but i just did.

5. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Max.. I completely think you're justified in this opinion. I agree with you.. I guess the baby wouldn't be able to make this type of decision themselves, but she would already be putting limits on the types of experiences the child can have which will affect their growth.

6. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Gus--

This is frankly one of the WORST ideas I have ever heard of. Geez...where to start?

1) She wants to be a single mother. She is looking for somebody to give SPERM...that's all. I doubt she has any intention of having the source of said sperm be involved in the child's life in any meaningful way. Your friend is kidding himself.

2) Due to his drug habit, there is the possibility (assuming this is done the old fashioned way) that a court would not allow him to see the child unsupervised yet he will have to fork over 20% of his income in child support. Worse yet, he could have his parental rights terminated due to the drug use. He wouldn't have to pay child support...but he'd NEVER see the kid.

3) What effect will all of this have on the kid? It's nice to think of the child in abstract terms...but what about when this child becomes a living, breathing, feeling person...who is the subject of contention between Martha and Gerald?

4) Should he do this, his relationship with her will NEVER be the same. It will become emotionally charged due to the child. I wish Gerald the best of luck in finding a new place to live.

If Gerald REALLY feels deeply about Martha, and the pot is the only thing standing in the way, it seems like Gerald needs to make a decision. If he REALLY wants Martha, he needs to put the bong away...hell...throw it in the trash. It really seems as though Gerald is trying to have his cake and eat it too. In adult life you don't get everything you want and there is a price for everything you get...in this case that price would be paid by the child first and foremost.

My advice...tell Gerald to grow up.

7. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Very well said, Refman. I've actually urged him to grow up several times over the last 3 years or so. I personally don't think Gerald is ready to be a father and that he has a lot of things he needs to work out about himself before he could take on any responsibility that large. I tried to sound unbiased when presenting this, but I totally agree with you.

8. MadMax

i like this story better when Gerald is gay and is a lawyer named Will living with his best friend, Grace.

9. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I agree it's time to grow up and put away the bong, or don't go around creating children.

When you have kids you world must revolve around them until they start to gain some indepence. A person who thinks they are ready to do it alone should try and baby sit a new born for a weekend. Eye opening experience to say the least.

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A couple things stuck out to me when I read your original post, 3fgus. Firstly, that she had just broke up with her old boyfriend, and decided she wants to be a single mother. I may be wrong, but making decisions like that right after a breakup seems like a bad idea at best, and a huge folly at worst. She could be very emotional, lonely, and not in the best frame of mind to make a life changing decision. Perhaps the breakup was a bad one, and she has decided to make this ex-boyfriend a representative of males in general. Also a bad idea. I don't know exactly, it just struck me as odd.

Secondly, you say that she really likes "Gerald", but wouldn't get together with him in a relationship unless he gave up the pot smoking. Perhaps she is trying to rope him into parent type relationship in hopes that he will give up the drugs so as not to be harmful to the child? If she is trying to use the child as a way to change Gerald so that he will be the kind of man she wants, that is also a poor decision.

These are just some things I would be concerned about. It is possible neither of those are happening, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of them were. Overall, it seems like there are many reasons to NOT do this, and very few reasons for it to be done.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You folks are really amazing to me sometimes. I know where I'll head if I ever need serious advice about a serious topic. :) Seriously!

I would have a tiny bit more sympathy for her if she was older, had been single for a while, and was really dedicated to motherhood before her biological clock ran out, but that does not seem to be the case at all.

Also, for people who really want to have a kid as a single parent (or for anybody, period), I would suggest at least *thinking* about adoption. Then she could be a single parent to a nice kid who was slated to have zero caring parents, basically.

If she and bonghit friend just want to see what their genes look like together, they have these hilarious photo booths now, where you and your partner take turns sitting in there, and a computer digitally combines your faces into that of a new child. Wanna see one of these? :eek:

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I'll look at thsi a different way...
    I think they both want a relationship with each and both think with a child that the pot smoking will stop... Bad idea IMO

But just my $.02

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Wouldn't his sperm kind of be, um, not all that great considering he's a pot head. Wouldn't the pot greatly increase the risk of a birth defect.

14. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

Well, you guys have all pretty much nailed my thoughts on the matter (except the Will & Grace stuff).. I had some major concerns about this and will voice them to my friend because he has asked my opinion. It just seems like too many variables for it to work and a child is worth far too much to do something like this, imo.

Just an FYI for Raven Lunatic - she dumped her boyfriend because she decided he wasn't someone she wanted to spend her life with, etc. etc. As far as I can tell, she feels very good about it, but I still agree with you that it seems like a pretty crazy decision to make shortly after a break up.

Thanks a lot for all the input guys. Ya'll definitely seemed to echo my sentiments and you all don't even know the people involved. I hope for everyone's sake "Gerald" and "Martha" see the light!

Peace,

Gus

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Great,

A pothead for a Dad....what a great drug induced future for the kid.

No WAY !!!

DaDakota

16. right1

right1 Member

Bob Marley was a good dad.

#16 right1, Sep 27, 2002
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2002
  17. right1

right1 Member

Unless they want to raise the child together in a loving home, I don't think it's a good idea.

18. right1

right1 Member

No.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Actually (and I don't smoke it, just by preference), but pot has less of an effect on your sperm than booze. Booze (my preference) is pretty much bad for every system. I know, I know, what people will say. There's all that "people in France with wine," and "one drink a day," but the latest research is apparently pretty negative. Okay, time for me to finally get out of the lab here and go get a drink! :D

20. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Hey 3Finger,

I agree with what most everyone else has said here. I definitely FEEL that "Martha" needs her "child" to have a father. That she would want to be a single mother is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. It reminds me of the movie, "Marnie" in which Tippi Hedren and her mother say "that we don't need no stinking men!"

Oh and "Gerald" definitely needs to put the bong down. There are way too many reasons for him to put it down than to continue to do it.