1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

National Championship game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Desert Scar, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

1) USC, schmoozSC, is there any doubt this is the game??? 10X more intense in its feel than the Rose Bowl. So the NC game is tonight, still I'd love to see Leinart and Mike Williams try to move it against either defense, shame really, we won't see it.

2) Saban getting conservative costs him, and what the heck is an experimental punt block protection scheme during in the biggest game of the year???? Weird.

3) Stoops is a great coach, and a cocky A-hole. Just say yeah they are doing a good job but we are going to change things and move on. Football's equivalent to Bobby Knight.

Keep on rolling Tigers!!! (And change that punt protection scheme;) )

2. drapg

drapg Member

Way to go Heisman Trophy winner!

3. junglerules

junglerules Member

I've been really impressed with Justin Vincent so far. For a freshman running back, it's nice to see his staff have faith in him in the big game. He's shown great burst, and the ability to make defenders miss beyond the line of scrimmage.

This game makes me wish I got to see more of LSU throughout the year- I never quite took them seriously, especially since the main game I saw them win vs. Georgia early on in the year, they got outplayed, and were lucky to escape with the win.

My gawd, the LSU defense has been impressive. It's not a total surprise as I've heard great things about them. However, hearing things, and then SEEING their team speed, are two different things.

Looking forward to a tight second half!

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I personally don't think Oklahoma is as good as everyone says they are. I think LSU will end up winning, and I think USC could have put a nice little whoopin' on Oklahoma. The coaches gotta figure it out, but there is a certain way to play Oklahoma and beat them. Apparently some teams just match up well against them, and some don't.

5. drapg

drapg Member

Hot damn! 21-7.

Bob Stoops is going to go Bill Parcells on poor little Jason White.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

go Tigers. Saban to Oakland!

7. bamaslammer

bamaslammer Contributing Member

This game reminds me a lot of of the 1992 Sugar Bowl, Alabama vs. Miami.
    1. One squad is highly underrated, with a great defense and a competent offense (Alabama in 1992, LSU in 2003).
    2. Another boasts a ton of name players, including a Heisman Trophy winner.
    The team of no-names (except for those who follow the SEC) is winning and winning handily. Since Oklahoma can't run the football and or stop the run, I give them little chance. I'm glad the newspaper let me start my vacation early, so I could watch this game with my son Preston in Orlando. :D Otherwise, I'd have been in New Orleans. I know my uncle, who lives in Gonzales, is going to be mighty happy.

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I think that Spears play is the dagger. OU's running and screen game to slow the rush is non-existant, there is blood in the water and LSU's defense is just about impossible to beat when you are 1 dimensional.

Sooners need a big play from D or special teams to get back in this game--I do not see two long TD drives versus LSU.

9. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

It looks like too much structure on the part of Oklahoma. Until they start to let the playmakers make plays, they will continue to struggle.

Stoops is unravelling.

10. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I've been under the impression that the team that stays under control and relaxed at the start of the game will have the best shot at winning. There's so much time in between each team's last game and the natl championship bowl game that they're probably rusty, are extremely nervous, and have too much adrenaline pumping through their veins. All those factors result in a lot of early turnovers, overthrown passes that result in interceptions, gripping the ball too tight only to fumble it, and trying to make the homerun play instead of playing under control and within the team's offensive system. I thought OSU last year was a perfect example of that. They played under control and didn't cough up turnovers early in the 1st half. They exploited Miami's turnovers and had a steady lead. The second half came, Miami played under control and had all that rusty, adrenaline, and mental cobwebs leave their system and made a good comeback that lead to the OTs.

The team that plays under control at the start of the game I notice is the team that win the Natl Championship. Sometimes it's the highly touted #1 team that plays under control. Other time it's the #2 team that may not be as talented but is more mentally prepared and ready then their opponent.

11. Fatty FatBastard

This seems similar to Miami/Ohio State last year.

The team EVERYBODY expects to win doesn't.

I'll listen to Rome and his rip on the lack of playoffs tomorrow.

12. Turbo

Turbo Contributing Member

All the sudden, Stoops is the one who can't win the big game. LSU is doing one hell of a job though, their defense is playing one of the best games I've seen when keeping in mind their opponent. Go Tigers.

<i>-Turbo</i>

LSU's on the verge of scoring as I type this w/ 4:20 in the 3rd - freakin' awesome.

13. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Forget the fact that OU should have not been in this game, this game is going exactly like I thought it would.

LSU is playing, essentially, a home game and have a very fast and blitzing type defense - sorta like Kansas State's but even better.

Jason White is one of the worst heisman trophy winners ever and did anyone catch the arrogant ass, Stoops, correcting Lynn Swann at the end of the first half??

Swann: "Coach, you are facing the #1 defense in the country. How do you squeeze out more offense?"

Stoops: "Well, first of all, they are the #1 SCORING defense in the country - we are the #1 TOTAL defense in the country...":rolleyes:

14. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

If what Stoops said is correct then why is that arrogant? I hate how networks use statistics one way the entire season, and then when they can manipulate words to make games look like a more appealing matchup (#1 offense vs. #1 defense) it is really annoying. Just like how ABC is using the BCS standings to say OU is #1 and LSU is #2. I wouldn't have a problem with them doing this if they would use the BCS rankings all year (or as long as they are out), but just to flip flop at the end like this is annoying. They did the same thing when Nebraska was ranked 4th in the Polls and still made the championship game a few years ago.

15. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Geaux Tigers!

New Orleans is crazy right now! I just got back and I must admit I caught the fever when I was there.

the Sugar Bowl is the championship game evry four years if I am not mistaken, so even if LSU was in town for a normal Sugar Bowl matchup it would be nuts. but LSU in the championship game in New Orleans? it is absolutely Wild!

Geaux Tigers!

16. Manny Ramirez

SCF,

Obviously I cannot duplicate his facial expression and body language on this BBS, but trust me, he was arrogant towards Swannie and you don't do that to Swannie!!

Now Jack Arute is a different story....:p :D

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Hang on, folks...

We might have a game after all.

18. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I saw what Stoops said, and I would probably agree that he was nitpicking, but I would probably react in a similar fashion if I were Stoops. Every coach in the world is weird about crap like that.

19. Manny Ramirez

Yup, I think we started talking too soon (me especially). Amazing that as much as LSU has dominated this game, that it is this close.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I think LSU has the best fans in the country. Sure, they're a bunch of drunks, but they represent. I remember when they came to Rice in 2002 to play in the Super Regional in baseball. They showed up with probably 30 RVs in the parking lot and were getting crazy. Although they didn't score a run on Rice all weekend, they were really awesome fans and stuck through it till the end. I would love to see a football game in Baton Rogue, that place must be nuts.