1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Isaiah Canaan highlights vs. Texas Legends (12/02/2013)

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Crabdribbles, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Crabdribbles

Crabdribbles Contributing Member

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6j36IFvOyGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

My full analysis is up on RidiculousUpside.

2 people like this.
  2. basketballholic

Keep these coming Crabdribbles.

"Canaanball" - - that nickname should stick.

I think it's all downhill from here for Canaan at RGV. I suspect he starts to pull away from the pack and distinguishes himself from here on out.

3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. With all the hate Harden is receiving for his apparent "selfish" play lately, I think fans should just stay away from watch RGV games this year. Canaan's shot selection really concerns me. The pull up 3's going one on 4 isn't something that the vote of the coaches and front office anytime soon.

Covington & Daniels though.... woah... those two can really, REALLY light it up from the wings & rarely take bad shots. There is no need for Canaan to continually blow possessions just to take a wild contested 3's when he should be figuring out ways to continue to get these guys good looks.

I think that will win over the coaches much quicker and get him back in the big leagues quicker than jacking up 12 threes a game off of broken plays.

However the Canaanball slogan really fits. Its bombs away alright.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This makes the dude sound like an Allen Iverson-type ballhog, but he's averaging over 10 assists a game right now, and in that highlight video, his court vision looks excellent.

What gives?

5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just watched him play the first few RGV games, and in the preseason with the Rockets.

Dont get me wrong the guy is talented and will have games where he goes off, but he too often forces himself into the offense instead of setting up plays and scoring within the flow. Some will say its called being aggressive, I say its him forcing the issue.

The issue is the coaches and front office could care less whether or not he can drop 25 in a D-League game. They are looking to see the way he plays, understands the offensive sets, how he plays defense, etc. I would have some concerns at this point if I was Morey or McHale in how he would run the team up in the big league because the shots he's making and the PASSES he's forcing in transition... those will probably be contested alot more and alot harder to make in the NBA.

Also he's collecting a ton of assists as the offense revolves primarily on moving the ball from the top of the key to Covington & Daniels on each of the wings for catch and shoot 3's. He's getting a ton of assists off of all the massive 3 point shots being taken.

#5 dobro1229, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Those are contested threes off the dribble a couple feet from the line, he definitely has range, the composure and the ability to create his own shot. Those aren't the kinds of shots you make just when you're having a good night, those are the kinds of shots you make when you're a good shooter. IMO he looks like he'll be contributing sooner than later in the show. How does Morey find these guys?

7. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

I can see him take Brooks spot next year if we dont bring Brooks back.

8. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

Recall him before lin comes back (worth a shot)

9. HighlightReel

HighlightReel Member

look at the 53 second mark. What kind of spacing is that?

1 person likes this.
  10. smr6

smr6 Member

Lol wtf is up with the offensive formation @ :49 seconds.

1 person likes this.
  11. charlieaustin

charlieaustin Contributing Member

I was just about to ask the same thing. :eek: Unusual to say the least.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

It is possible that he's doing what the coaches tell him to do, which is test the limits of his playmaking abilities. If he ever sees playing time in Houston, it will be as a bench spark plug, not as a Beverley/Rafer type of ball-control PG. Basically Aaron Brooks with more bulk on D. And it's possible the Rockets want to see just how efficiently he can create his own shot.

And it's clear that the Rockets want him bombing 3s. Because that would be his primary shots with the Rockets if he makes it here.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I watched the first half of the game last night and there were times where Canaan looked out of control. His 3 point shot has really been off the first few games, too. Still early in his career, though.

One thing about his 3's - there's no "was his foot on the line?" replays. He shoots 4's.

And I can't believe I missed what HighlightReel commented on above while watching the game. That's some kind of sardine offense.

14. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

I think they had shooters at all 5 positions, so they tried a play to give Canaan an isolation opportunity where if he could get by his man, there would be no one at the rim.

Gotta credit Nevada Smith for trying different things.

P.S. I only picked it up in the highlights too ...

15. Remii

Remii Member

McHale told Morey to draft him someone who can shoot and score and Morey said that's why he drafted Canaan. And I believe McHale was on board with drafting Canaan because the kid is kind of similar to Bobby Jackson IMO.

Canaan has to show he can knock down the 3 consistently and he's not a liability on defense. That will get him to the bigs faster than trying to be a passing point guard. And what makes you think the coaches aren't telling him he has the green light (per Morey)...???

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he was all NBA ready, he wouldn't be in the Dleague.
    They'd probably trade Lin or Beverley for another player.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He's probably close to NBA ready. Trading Lin pr Beverley is not out of the question if they can get a better player.

18. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

People need to stop hating on his shot selection, the vipers are told to shoot 50 threes a night, so some of them are going to be forced or contested. I really am Intrigued as to what is going to happen to Canaan going forward.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Generally, guys from D League to NBA shoot more threes, but at a less percentage. With Harden, Howard getting a lot of attention and Jones, Parsons hitting threes at or near 40%, Canaan should get good looks in the NBA at least as good as other D Leaguers making transition. Based on extreme pace and use of the three ball at RGV, I think Canaan won't fit mold of increased 3pt usage. Canaan's floor from 3point line should be a 39% shooter based on early stats and current shot selection.

If he can guard his man at the NBA level, he will do wonders for the spacing for the Rockets.