1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone against mar1juana legalization give me reasons for why you are?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jayhow92, Aug 28, 2016.

1. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I honestly have no idea why it isn't legal recreationally nationwide.

Easy money from taxation, it would stop people from smoking very unsafe synthetic mar1juana, certainly would hurt drug lords and organized crime in both the US and in Latin America by undercutting them in the sale of mar1juana, and because the Drug War is nothing short of a complete failure.

I know that it's easy to arrest people for having it, but not really sure about the other reasons against it.

2. jacoby

jacoby Member

Chris Christie ran for President and will likely hold high office in Trump's administration, and he was telling states like CO and WA to "have fun while they can" because he's banning it once again. He cited things like unhealthy addictions, but doesn't acknowledge how obesity is one of the leading causes of death in America. What a buffoon.

I'm for it being legalized, but I've heard people against it mention things like a lack of productivity among the people who routinely use it recreationally, which will result in more welfare recipients or something. I HAVE read studies that link mar1juana usage to lack of productivity, but I'm unsure if there is a link between mar1juana usage and unemployment.

3. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I don't know if it would undercut drug lords or not, it might make it easier to smuggle harder drugs if they ship it with mar1juana. Legalizing it will certainly make it easier to grow here, so if conventional farmers get on board then that could definitely reduce the demand or necessity for gangs or overseas cartels, at least with higher pricing. Traditional exporters still have incentive to grow and sell any drug because they have a comparative advantage in agriculture.

4. dmoneybangbang

Perhaps there's an argument to be made about productivity, but considering how much of a failure the war on drugs has been...

Personally would be a fan of supporting all types of drug abuse as a health issue, not a law enforcement issue.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Because drugs are bad, mmm mkay?

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The cool thing about it in legalized states, is they can make such specific strains of sativas, indicas, hybrids, etc. I've smoked some legal week in Colorado that gave me energy.

Now was I "productive". I honestly can't remember ;)

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Because it will hurt me financially and I just can't let that happen
    - Signed Pharmaceutical Rep and big donor to Hillary Clinton :cool:

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I would be against it if I worked in the prison industry

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Primary reason is because as long as it is on the books. . . and they can do selective enforcement. They are able to control minority/undesirable populations.

Making them illegal was a way to harrass minorities/undesirables without specifically saying they were harrassing minorities/undesirables.

Which is why a rich person can do 100 lbs of coke and get a slap on the wrist
    but a poor minority will get 100 yrs in jail for less than a pound of Mary Jane

If you put enough laws on the books. . .you can harrass and oppress everyone
    simply point to the law as the reason . . . then officers/prosecuters/judges/ can selectively enforce it to protect the .. . 'Protected'

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

The reason I'd be against it is NOT because of weed itself, where I see no issue with legalization.. Itd be cuz OF the weed advocates themselves.

Its similar to not liking a sports team because of their "obnoxious fans"
    (Which I am AGAINST, thats just bitter and spiteful. I dont watch fans I watch the sport. "Dumb Golden State Fan" is a made up perjorative)

I'll admit hypocrisy and say I use it against weed fans who can be insufferable when touting the benefits. And when some try to be anti-stereotype, its almost like an indirect admission they ARE part the stereotype and trying to brush up the image. (If you use monikers such as "Buddha Baby", "Kush King" and "420-(Anything)", your message might appear less effective). And its also seeing the NEW generation Millenials and younger doing it and acting like society is so backwards and they have all the answes and need to stop being "shamed"... I dont want to increase that kinda thing

THAT said, its frivolous and not enough reason to go against legalization. Need to give it time to be more ubiqitous where the annoyances will wear off

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No. Should be legal while all other illegal drugs convictions should be given medical sentences not prison sentences.

12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Taxation of legal weed is just what the govt gets. It's just part of the economic windfall. You are legalizing an entire crop and the industries that support it.

Legalization of the support industries means new revenue channels (e.g. lab testing, extraction, high-end packaging), directly-related jobs (e.g. cultivators, retail, security) and new technology (e.g. lighting, water, industrial extractors and purification systems). For instance, the weed industry is giving cutting-edge lighting technology room to prosper. These CDL and LED lights are improving both quality of light spectrum and lowering energy use, with applications well-beyond weed cultivation.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not to mention the Hemp industry. Everything from Fabric, Rope to Paper.

Rocket River

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, and I also left off the obvious medicinal revenue streams like high-strength, cannabinoid pain-killers with little to no psychoactive "side-effects" and chemotherapy nausea meds. Those are huge new revenue streams.

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It all depends on how regulated it is. The same difficulties as far as marketing to children with the packaging and advertising that plagued Joe Camel and the Tobacco marketing could happen with mar1juana.

16. Exiled

Exiled Member

a good strategy is to push the legalization of using meth. This would make weed legalizations much less of a Tabu

17. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Isn't that mostly for drug users passing their companies drug screening?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iNnnA_ZRdgI?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Oh, ok.....:confused:

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Obligatory.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ABc8ciT5QLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Eh, as long as it's not stocked next to the Flinstones vitamins it should be fine. Would be a great source of tax dollars, that's for sure. Alcohol is far worse than weed with regards to its effects on your temporary state of mind.