1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Training Camp/ Preseason Fodder Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Fantasma Negro, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I think Worthy has the 6th reciever spot, because of him being a prime return guy plus a good slot reciever behind Shorts.

EZ has earned a roster spot too though, hopefully they can stash him away on the PS. Best WR group by far Texans have ever had. Martin and D. Johnson won't crack it.

Dent should def make it. Tuggle & Bullough is a coin flip

2. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I don't see Worthy making it. I don't see EZ clearing to PS. For that reason, I see EZ making it and Worthy going to the PS.

3. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Didn't the Texans only keep 5 wides last year?

That leaves both Worthy and EZ on the outside looking in. Worthy might be the dark horse as the 6th wide since he can return kicks.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Is he a prime return guy? I don't know how he's looked in practice, but he's only had 3 KO returns in the preseason. He's been OK, but he hasn't been some ST stud which is what you need to be to justify a roster spot as a guy who's only going to return kicks. And make no mistake, that's all he'd do. He'd play about as much WR as Trindon Holliday did.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I think the Texans keep 6 WR and EZ is the one that makes it.

Hopkins
    Shorts
    Washington
    Mumphery
    Strong
    EZZZZZ

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think Demps (or maybe Polk) is going to be returning kicks. Punts is a mystery. Worthy hasn't done a whole lot to make him the sure-fire returner.

7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Both EZ and Worthy play ST which helps. Also with CJII able to RB, that may allow them to keep the extra WR. But that's really bad news for Polk.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't think CJ can really play RB. Maybe in an emergency. But he's not going to be a guy they're going to put out there on a regular basis. Maybe for a play (somewhat similar to the way they use Watt at TE). But Watt's not going to kick any TE's off the roster and CJ isn't going to force the team to carry one less RB. You don't make a RB expendable because of a guy who's entire experience at RB consists of 4 carries in a preseason game against 3rd and 4th stringers and guys who got cut the next day.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I think you're wrong. You can't have your 3rd or 4th RB only play RB. You most certainly don't keep Polk who wouldn't get any carries either with Blue, Grimes, and Hilliard and also won't play ST. You'll probably play only those 3 while waiting for Arian which might be sooner rather than later. Instead you cut Polk and keep CJII who can play Corner, Gunner, and be your 4th emergency RB or 5th RB when Arian is back. The more you can do!!!

On the WR front, Keshawn gots to go and I think he will!!! Hop, Nate, Shorts are locks. That leaves 3 WR spots, only 2 if you count Worthy for ST. For the last 2 spots I would go with Strong #5 and Mumphery, EZ, and Johnson fight for that last spot. Johnson could take that last spot as he was useful last year when we picked him up but I would cut him. Between EZ and Mumph, I'd go with Mumph but I could see EZ making it and Mumph going to PS.

#329 ipaman, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015