1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

#1 pick post rose bowl

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by thacabbage, Jan 4, 2006.

?

what do you do with the #1 pick now?

1. vince young

125 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. reggie bush

75 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. trade

25 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

does this change things any?

taking the hometown young #1 would be reminiscent of olajuwon. make it happen.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Bring Young home and let Bush stay at home with the Los Angeles Saints.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Yes, yes it does. What player in their right mind would not leave after a game like that. We witnessed history. In my opinion, this game showed a little of what Reggie Bush will do when lined up against some of the top defenses in the NFL. It also showed the character, heart, and clutch ability of Vince Young. To me, Vince Young just made himself the top prospect in the draft. Trade Carr for a draft pick, or whatever you have to do. If McNair is looking to put fans in the seats, draft the hometown kid (no one in Houston will be oblivious to this performance) and spend the rest of the early rounds on lineman. Even if you don't find any good lineman in the draft, the thought alone of playing behind someone as explosive as Vince Young (coupled with Domanick and Andre) should be enough to entice some free agent lineman here.

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

What you have to keep in mind is NFL teams don't draft solely on big game performance in college. They draft based on various metrics that are measured at the combine and private workouts. The glow of this game will be long gone when NFL teams start evaluating players. Right now, the heat of the moment burns hot, but NFL teams don't make decisions based on the heat of the moment. While Vince may as well leave the college game now, I guarantee you he will not be drafted before Reggie Bush. But man O man, he looked like a man among boys. He doesn't belong in college any more.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

but how many special running backs ever lead their teams anywhere and among these, how many are drafted so high? i would much rather take the chance at a special quarterback who has been a winner at every level, and is a hometown hero to boot.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Cabbage: this thread is silly, and completely unlike you.

One game does never a player make. I'm glad you're not our GM right now.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'd really like to see us take Vince Young, but unfortunately it will never happen. For some unknown reason it appears the Texans management still believe David Carr might one day become a decent quarterback.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

You're hardly one to talk about being an ass when it comes to college football. Why's it so silly? Corso and others were speculating about exactly this scenario immediately after the game. It's not as if this Vince just came out of nowhere tonight, by the way. Sh-t, fatty. My ass has been in Indochina for the whole goddamned football season and I know how good he is and how good his season has been. I would think you would by now too.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Hell no this doesn't change anything. Reggie still had 247 total yards in the loss, so it's not like he didn't do some damage. He did have that mental error where he tossed the ball away. But he was still awesome.

Anyways, isn't Vince going back to UT for 1 more year?

#9 Uprising, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  10. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

ONE GAME??????????????????????????????????????? You can't be serious. Go look at the 2005 Rose Bowl, every game this season, and all the big runs through his career. 2004-2005 Kansas as well. Vince Young was the best player on the field tonight. He can now throw the football, to accompany his mammoth frame(6'5 230 with ankles of steel) and silky smooth running ability. He's a bigger Bush playing QB, and is a dual threat.

Edit: As a UT Fan/Grad if Vince declares and Houston passes him up may we have mercy on their soul. Vince Young is like a bigger version of Vick who can actually take the NFL punishment. He also showed more accuracy in college than Vick, and he is a local boy. If you think Bush sells the fanbase, imagine Vince. Madison High, local product done awesome. Then you could easily get a better draft pick/s for Carr than you would for Davis.

#10 DVauthrin, Jan 5, 2006
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  11. Fatty FatBastard

Fish, DV, et. al.

Exactly what poll, report, etc., shows VY being a better prospect than Bush? Austin papers don't count, btw.

One game does not make a season. That said, Vince looked great tonight.

12. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

All comments on Bush vs Young being better pros can be debated untill the end of time. However, what can be said without question is that Vince Young has more heart than David Carr. Hell Bush and Lienart have more heart than Carr. The Texans must seriously consider taking VY @ #1.

13. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

It isn't one game. Did you live under a rock from Sept to tonight, or last season? He does this routinely, like its normal. He is really what ESPN/CNNSI hyped up Reggie to be after Fresno State. I can't help that earlier this season people questioned Vince's passing ability, thus the lower draft status. That knock went clear out the window this season, and especially tonight.

Vince Young torched a former NFL Defensive Coordinator/head coach's defense tonight. With that coach having a month to gameplan to confuse him. That should eliminate any doubt. Not only that, but Vince leads 4th quarter comebacks that remind many of Elway. He has the greatness/leadership quality.

I'm not saying what Houston would do if such a situation arises. But I definitely think Vince > Reggie and with Vince's development this year and his local ties, I can definitely see it coming to fruition, since one of Reggie's big selling points is energizing the fan base, and Vince would do that moreso.

14. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

All I know is that its not good having casserly making this decison :(

15. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I first saw Vince Young in the Madison vs Katy football game held in the Astrodome... That very same night after the game I said 'This guy will one day be a hall of famer in the nfl'. I waited...and waited a year while he was redshirted at UT, I just could not WAIT to see him play at the college level, and then he did... he did with a vengence blowing everyone out of the water that game. I don't remember who it was but check the stats, he was a phenom in that game.

He got more time after that and produced just as much and so it came to this season and this day the Rose Bowl, ahh man, as I sit back with memories from that Madison vs Katy game I have the same thought in my mind 'This guy will one day be a hall of famer in the nfl'

So the story goes like this, IF Vince comes out this year and the Texans don't draft him, I vow right here and now, I will not be a Texan fan and I will NEVER root for them again until Vince career in the nfl ends. After that as I return to maybe 'cheer' a little, I will never be a 'true' fan.

Am I a TRUE Texans fan? YES... Am I a TRUE Vince fan? YES... which am I a fan more of? Vince

Now you might say 'Oh your not a true texans fan'. Well I am but for the texans not to take Vince is like a slap in my face, then a shove to the ground, then 3 spits and a kick to top my bloody body off.

16. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

This game changes nothing. Young proved that he is the man and is cool under pressure, but Bush still showed that he is a player with rare ability, these two guys are close to equal, but I'd still take Bush without thinking twice.

17. msn

msn Member

Honestly, I seriously hope that one declares and one doesn't. That way, we won't have to endure the ensuing b****ing and moaning one way or the other. I don't care which one does which, so long as one is in college this coming Fall and one has been drafted by the Texans.

If they don't shore up that O-line, it will make precious little difference anyway (unless of course, the new coaches make a difference or Reggie Bush is somehow the 2nd coming of Barry Sanders).

18. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

I think Vince stays in school & takes the Heisman & another title next year. Texans draft Reggie. The End.

19. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

It's late and all, but I'm confused. Did someone seriously backup his side by using the Lee Corso argument?

That's like the end of the universe; my head is spinning.

Lee Corso and college football expertise go together like peanut butter and mayo. It just doesn't happen.

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I seriously think that Vince will stay. I think he wants to go back get the Heisman next year and up his stock and go Number 1 to ensure some major signing bonus.