1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kevin Johnson - Houston Texans' first round (#16 overall) pick in 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Clutch, Apr 30, 2015.

?

Do you like this pick for the Texans?

1. YES

155 vote(s)
    81.6%
  2. NO

35 vote(s)
    18.4%
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

16th pick overall.

[youtube]A6xmW47G-w0[/youtube]

[youtube]b6J2TrDKLNE[/youtube]

2. chandlerbang21

good pick with speed but very small. Needs to hit weights

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hakeem does not approve.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ifx_gRF-ouU?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Solid, but underwhelming.

However...I saidthe same thing about JJ

6. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Personally, I would have liked Alvin Dupree, but I still think this is a good pick.
    I give them a B+

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This kid is the best cover corner in the class. Amazing feet and COD skills. Basically J-Jo reincarnated.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Maybe we have someone that can cover Hilton now :)

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Hope we can play with Joseph and Kareem. Looks like Houston is trying to build a dominant defense. D-Line plus secondary depth. Just need some linebackers.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

With Luck, Bortles, and Mariota in the division, you've got to have a high quality secondary. Nice pick.

Now we'll have the pass rush with Watt, Wilfork, Mercilus and Clowney PLUS an improved secondary.

11. Mashing

Mashing Member

They made the point on NFL network that this guy can keep up with TY Hilton. If that is true, then I love the pick. He's probably the reason why we keep losing to the Colts (atleast the last few years).

12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I like this pick. We all remember Kareems struggles as a rookie. This lets the Texans develop Johnson while they still have Joseph. Then with the money they save after Josephs contract is done they can pay Brandon Brooks and Mercilus should they choose to keep him.

13. M.G.

M.G. Contributing Member

Seems like a solid pick. Pretty neutral about it since I don't know much about him. Cornerback will be a major position of need for us in the future, though, and it's nice to have a replacement in line instead of having to shove in an inexperienced rookie cornerback like we did with K-Jax.

Seems like Kevin Johnson is a pretty good cornerback that doesn't have any weaknesses in coverage. Should be able to contribute in nickel formations right away. In fact, if he plays well in coverage his rookie year, our defensive backfield in passing situations could be very, very good.

14. IronTexan93

IronTexan93 Member

Does anyone prefer this pick over Perriman or Strong? I just don't get a good feeling at 16 for either of those guys.

15. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

Solid. Not a splash pick, but one that can pay dividens later down the road. Good idea to allow him to play nickel CB while Jjo finishes out his contract year. Needs to work on tackling, and has to add weight to that frame, which I feel he will. Good pick, especially with how the NFL is a passing league.

Really wanted a pass rusher though, just not Dupree.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

If we were extremely concerned with Clowney I think Dupree would have been the pick.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>@<a href="https://twitter.com/KevJr9">KevJr9</a> the best DB I played against in college and he was only a freshman</p>&mdash; Deandre Hopkins (@Nukdabomb) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nukdabomb/status/593957912734633984" data-datetime="2015-05-01T01:59:36+00:00">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. magman

magman Member

looking at youtube videos, he turns his head to locate the ball! Closes the gap after the ball is thrown. Could be our number 1 CB in a year.

Solid, not splashy pick.

19. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While I like Marcus Peters better, Johnson is perhaps a better fit with Jackson.

20. baubo

baubo Member

I can't read his name without seeing that dunk. It's like I can't read Derek Fisher's name without seeing some floppy NBA scrub rather than an Astros prospect. Seriously, Astros and Texans need to stop taking NBA players.

I'm think he's more JJo's replacement given the contract. If Clowney ever gets to even 80% of his pre-draft hype, our pass rush should be good enough where CB should be that heavily invested.