1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando Sentinel: T-Mac to sell Orlando home - Only asking $7.6 milliion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Faos, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

T-Mac to sell Orlando home

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...?coll=orl-sports-headlines&ctrack=1&cset=true

By Brian Schmitz | Sentinel Staff Writer
    Posted January 25, 2005

Houston Rockets star Tracy McGrady, who missed Monday night's game because of a family medical emergency, officially will sever his ties with the city of Orlando as soon as he sells his mansion near Isleworth.

McGrady told the Sentinel on Monday that, "My home's on the market."

He said he is asking $7.6 million for the 12,000-square-foot residence.

Former Magic star Shaquille O'Neal, who played for the Los Angeles Lakers for eight seasons before he being traded to the Miami Heat, still maintains his 40,000-square foot mansion in Isleworth.

It was not known the nature of McGrady's emergency.

He participated in the morning shoot-around. Rockets Coach Jeff Van Gundy said he did not know McGrady was a scratch until two hours before the game.

Francis keeping his house

Speaking of residences, guard Steve Francis, who played with the Rockets for five seasons, said has no plans yet to sell his 12,000-square-foot home in Houston. Francis recently bought a place in Central Florida.

"I want to get some more equity in it," he said. "Besides, there are a lot of NBA players who live here [in the offseason]."

Cato overlooked?

Magic center Kelvin Cato is often overlooked, lost in Steve Francis' shadow in Houston and in Orlando. But he also plays up the Rodney Dangerfield angle.

"Man, they're going to love Steve Francis here tonight," said Cato before the game. "For me, it will just be like, 'Yeah, Kelvin Cato.' Steve might start crying.

"But that's the difference between a star player and me, an average player."

For the record, Cato received a nice ovation from Rockets fans, albeit several octaves lower than the reception Francis received.

In their first return to Houston since being traded, Cato had 11 points, six rebounds and two blocked shots in 37 minutes, and Francis had 23 points, 10 rebounds and seven assists.

Etc.

The Magic will have reached the halfway point of their season after tonight's game against the Grizzlies in Memphis. . . . Magic forward Grant Hill started against the Rockets after sitting out Saturday night's game at home against the Philadelphia 76ers to rest a bruised right wrist. Hill said he still has pain when he shoots the ball, adding he has some tendinitis in it as well as a tiny cyst. He wore a black wrist brace around it Monday night. . . . Magic swingman Doug Christie still was suffering from flu-like symptoms but played.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I guess he's not gonna live in Florida after all.

3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

He probably figured out that for $7.6 million, he can get a house twice as big in Houston.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Francis doesn't own his house outright? If I had a max contract, I don't think I'd be borrowing money for anything.

5. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

He problably meant he wanted to wait until the market price goes higher before selling it.

6. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

I thought T-Mac was having a new house built in Orlando while the trade was going down.

I knew he would grow to love it here.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Financially it makes more sense to not own your house considering the interest rates.

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm guessing there are some pretty good tax advantages he gets from doing that.

9. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

When you get 4 hurricanes a year, the state doesn't look so endearing....

:cool:

10. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

Hey, not trying to be picky or anything, but when you have a mortage you still "own" your house, as long as you make your payments of course!

But yes, there are pretty big tax and financial advantages to holding a mortgage at today's rates, especially if you're wise with your money and can afford a primo advisor to take care of your investments. If I were in any of these guys' shoes, I'd have the house pretty much mortgaged to the hilt, probably with an interest-only loan.

11. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

I always find it interesting the players only refer to themselves as "average" *after* they've signed their huge deals. I doubt very seriously if he or his agent were saying that he was "average" when he got his ridiculous contract.

12. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

13. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

And as long as you don't plan to level the old house and build a new one on the land.

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Screw that, he needs the interest deductions...Never buy a house outright...

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im sure that he also knows that there is no state tax in texas so he miight as well hurry up and become a resident of Texas.