1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets should make a run at Carmelo Anthony in summer of 2011

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of people say our biggest need is Power Forward. I disagree, with Luis Scola and promising rookie Jordan Hill - we are solid at the position. Not the best, but solid. Our greatest weakness from an offensive perspective is small forward, where we have an aging role player in Shane Battier and Trevor Ariza who is not materialized as an efficient offensive scorer. We're solid at PG with Brooks and Lowry and strong at SG with Kevin Martin backed up by Chase Budinger.

Next year we'll have $60 million in contracts...and I do not think Chase and Jordan will have quite developed to over come our other weaknesses for us to contend. But if Morey plays it smart and doesn't acquire any new contracts, the Rockets will find themselves with only $24 million dollars committed in Summer 2011.

They can resign Yao for $10 million. I think with his history of injuries and his loyalty to winning, he'd do it. Luis Scola would also resign for $10 million. Lowry maybe $4-5 mil.

You let Battier go - a tough lose, but Battier + Ariza is as Dada puts it - redundant.

With $50 million and a recovering economy, you can make a run at the blockbuster free agent of that summer - Carmelo Anthony - the best small forward behind Lebron, and the one of the best clutch playmaking players to have on your team.

You add that guy and we won't look back.

Yao / Scrub
    Scola / Hill
    Anthony / Ariza
    Martin / Bud
    Brooks / Lowry

That leaves us strong everywhere. Anthony is the perfect player for our team and style. He rebounds very well for a small forward - outrebounding power forwards and getting offensive boards. He passes with 3.5 assists per game. And he gets to the line as often as Martin making him one of the most efficient scorers in the game. He physical and tough, and playoff hardened. The guy is a champion having won the NCAA tourney. He's the guy who can lead this team on the court.

He would give us 3 legitimate stars along with Yao and Martin - which would match us up with the Lakers and the Celtics. Furthermore, it would wreak Denver and immediately bump us into the top echelon of the Western Conference.

This is the guy we need to have.

2. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

Yao is getting the max or he will GTFO of Houston.

3. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

you can't just run 5 scorers out there. teams need balance. no thanks (for this team...i do like carmelo as a player)

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Fine, then trade Brooks for a back up center

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The guy is super loyal.

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Really? Who would give him one? I love Yao, but you don't give 30+ year old centers with injury histories the max by any stretch of the imagination.
    I also think Scola for 10 million is way too much. He's also not young, and while his game shouldn't decline with age, he is nowhere near 10 million, a amount that is for near All-Stars and such, which Scola is not. 8 million at most, and that's pushing it.
    The catch here is that Brooks will demand a significant payday, which if he keeps improving, he deserves, and that's not even getting to whether Carmelo wants to leave Denver. So yeah, it'd be nice, but won't happen.

< Good. >

1 person likes this.
  7. AggieRocketsFan

ESPN INSIDER ARTICLE:

2011 The Bargain Bin

The summer of 2010. LeBron James. Dwyane Wade. Chris Bosh. Amare Stoudemire. Maybe even Kobe Bryant.

This is the summer we've been hearing about as far as free agents are concerned. Plenty of teams have cleared cap room for a chance to nab one of these stars.

But why pay a high price now when a new owner-friendly collective-bargaining agreement could be in place in the summer of 2011, and the likes of Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant could be there for the taking?

As ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher writes, some GMs are already thinking this way, and he notes the Bucks, Nuggets, Rockets and Suns are all positioning themselves for the summer after this one.

The Pacers, too, should be primed to make some moves then as well.

8. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Never, never... Carmelo is a talented thug and not a team player at all. The star of that team is Chauncey Billups. He is who makes them competitors. Take him off and Melo still gets great numbers but nothing more. If we have to have a thuggish kind of player on our team at least let him be a big. A bruiser PF that what I want. Not another tmac replica.

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Brooks won't get his pay bump until the year after - he'll make $3 million in 2011 - 2012.

So if Scola gets $8 mill you can then even re-sign Jared Jeffries as a back-up center if you like.

10. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I don't think anybody would offer him that.

11. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

If we fail at Bosh (or similar player) this year, then I'm sure Morey will target 2011 FAs. Though I doubt we're able to retain Brooks and Yao, and still be able to offer max to someone.

12. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Nice bit of info, I like that thinking. Don't forget Rudy Gay! :p

13. kevolution

kevolution Member

I approve of this thread.

14. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Yao brings in more in the form of revenue, that's more than enough. The foot surgery he had is momentous due to the fact that it prevents future injuries of the lower-shin. I think when he comes back it will be better than ever given his effort.

15. htownfan_9210

htownfan_9210 Member

wow really??? This man averages 28 points and 6 rebounds (just a estimate) and u dont want him because you think hes thuggish...carmello is a regular basketball player wit loads of talent and in his prime. He has a few ounces of clutch in him and cant match up well with the likes of lebron and kobe and whoever else. I would love to have that man on our team.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I read that Durant's favorite player growing up was Tmac...and favorite team was the Rockets...get it done Morey!

Seriously though I think he's just a RFA next year, OKC would be incredibly stupid not to max anything you throw at him.

I would not mind getting Melo, but idk...it's kinda a good idea to have a wingman out there to defend. A lineup of Martin and Melo not a good idea, Martin would go to the bench by default I suppose...but would still average 20ppg :p

Any ways I guess it is possible Melo might think "Billups is getting old, I need to go to another team..." but I just don't see him leaving Denver yet especially with how good they are.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

those 2 guys aren't leaving, unless their GMs diss them.

18. kevolution

kevolution Member

He's also one of the best shooters in the league and has pretty good overall shot selection and knows how to get to the rim.

His play-making abilities aren't as good as Mac in his prime, but his scoring ability and rebounding are comparable, if not better. He's also more consistent.

19. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

The Rockets are more likely to grab a player like Kevin Durant than Carmello. I see Kevin durant coming to Houston more than seeing Anthony here anyway.

But either or, both players are pretty good to have on this team. I know many of you would think that we would have too many scorers but wouldn't it be better to be deep with scorers than not having enough?

By having a great scoring SF along with Brooks, Martin, Scola and maybe Yao, the Rockets would be a scary team. Double teams would failed against this team. Plus the Rockets are well rounded at every position except the center position because we all don't know the status of Yao Ming yet. I mean who knows if he ever be effective again or another major injury would hit him.

But again, if the Rockets have a chance to go after a superstar small forward in Melo or Durant, I say why not. As much as I love Battier, sometimes I feel like we don't get enough scoring from that position. Yes I would love Bosh on this team but sometimes I questioned his toughness. Bosh is a great PF but is he worth the Max if the Rockets have a chance to sign him? A max contract is a big commitment and if he don't play as well as his contract is worth, we would be screwed. And trading a big contract like that would be tough and it would put us in the hole for years if he don't play up to it.

So I think it is better for the Rockets to wait after this offseason and go after a true superstar in Durant who have the potential to be one of the greatest scorers in the history of the league or a very special player in Carmelo who can score at a high level and is a strong tough player.

20. BeCoMiNgThEbEsT

if rockets get Melo then i donno if we should have Ariza or Battier!!! :confused: