1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[San Antonio Express-News]Spurs' Popovich says league exec crossed line with Bowen

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mordo, Nov 18, 2006.

1. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...MYSA111806.05C.BKNspurs.notebook.38e2352.html

Spurs' Popovich says league exec crossed line with Bowen

Web Posted: 11/18/2006 01:05 AM CST

Johnny Ludden
    Express-News Staff Writer

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich criticized the NBA on Friday for warning Bruce Bowen about his defensive "tactics" and complained league officials are "trying to change the way my best defender plays."
    NBA executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson, who handles disciplinary matters for the league, called Bowen at home on Sunday night and told him he needed to watch his feet and give shooters room to land. If not, Jackson said, Bowen faced a possible fine or suspension.

Popovich said the league never informed Spurs officials of the conversation and he learned of it only after reading Wednesday's Express-News.

"They didn't bother to call the owner, the (general manager) or the coach," Popovich said. "No one. They're trying to change the way Bruce plays and we don't even know about it?

"Secondly, what they're telling him is highly inaccurate. It's unfounded and fueled by media pressure and player complaints."

New York guard Steve Francis sprained his left ankle after landing on Bowen's foot in a Nov. 6 game. When the teams met again four days later, Knicks coach Isiah Thomas threatened to break Bowen's foot after Jamal Crawford almost came down on him on a drive to the basket.

That incident led to a heated exchange between Popovich and Thomas, who was not reprimanded by the league for his actions.

League officials have been instructed to call a foul whenever a defender doesn't give a shooter enough room to land. Vince Carter sprained his ankle in the 2003-04 season after coming down on Bowen. Carter also accused him of purposefully stepping under him in another incident the next season.

Popovich said Bowen is being singled out, citing incidents where New Jersey's Richard Jefferson and Dallas' Josh Howard sprained ankles after landing on Miami's Shaquille O'Neal and Golden State's Mickael Pietrus.

"Did (the league) call them?" Popovich said. "Did they call all those guys (Dirk) Nowitzki landed on when he sprained his ankles the past three, four years? The answer is no.

"So why did they call Bruce? Because it's happened to him twice? Bruce guards an All-Star every night. If he was doing what they're accusing him of doing, wouldn't it have happened a higher percentage of times?

"The people who cry about it are just frustrated about having to go against Bruce."

Popovich is concerned Jackson's warning has taken away some of Bowen's aggressiveness. Houston's Tracy McGrady scored 21 first-half points — most of which came against Bowen — on Tuesday. After looking at film of Wednesday's loss to Charlotte, Popovich said Bowen sometimes wasn't within "5 feet" of rookie Adam Morrison.

"The league is just trying to cover its ass," Popovich said. "I told Bruce, 'You be Bruce Bowen. You're the best (expletive) defender in this league. You will NOT change the way you play defense.'

"Stu Jackson is not going to change my team just because he thinks he's doing the right thing."

Jackson declined comment except to say he discussed the issue with Spurs general manager R.C. Buford on Friday.

"We registered our disappointment and disagreement with the way it was handled," Popovich said.

Bowen said he took issue with Jackson saying he needed to change his "tactics."

"Tactics means I have a certain way I'm going about doing things and it's purpose-driven," Bowen said.

Bowen also plans to heed his coach's advice — even it puts him at risk of being fined.

"I've been given a command," he said, smiling. "So I'm going to keep playing hard.

2. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Now we know why Bowen didn't try to break T-Mac's ankles.

3. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

when the rox played spurs, bowen was obviously retreating somewhat.

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

A huge fine for Popp is coming. I know he is trying get his player's back but Bruce Bowen is NOT the best defender in league.

5. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

No he was just getting his a$$ handed to him in the first half, obviously.

6. shawn786

shawn786 Member

$25K or more!

This is far worse than what Gundy said about the league.

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

oh boo-hoo.

people want bowen to stop hurting the players he guards. weather he does it intentionally or not, that's not a rediculous request.

8. Omer

Omer Member

I'm sorry, T-Mac was just pimpin it against the Spurs like usual.

Bowen could have played him, just not played dirty and its all good.

9. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The idiocy of this league and its officiating amazes me. Since when has it not been a foul to not give a player space to come down when he shoots the ball??? Now, they are going to tell the officials to call the foul? Like, they are going to tell the officials, "Okay, enforce page 2 of the rule book, but not the rest until we tell you to.

A rule is a rule. A foul is a foul. That's the kind of stuff that gets law enforcement in trouble, inconsistency of enforcing certain laws to certain people at certain times, or ignoring laws that are on the books altogether. If you are not going to enforce a rule, take it out of the rule book. If it is in the book, call it. Just stupid.

10. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i love how there's superstar treatment. a foul is a foul unless it's michael jordan. :rolleyes:

11. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Or if Rafer's fingers glance off an opponent's shoulder it is a touch foul.

But if Bowen and Rip Hamilton have their hands all over Tmac in the 2nd half on the perimeter it is not a foul.

amazing stuff :D

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Good for the league, Bowen is a punk.

And YO, Pop...he is getting older too....he won't be able to keep up with the TMac's of the league forever.

DD

13. HoopsFancy

HoopsFancy Member

bruce bowen sounded like a nice person in interviews. :p

i don't think he intentionally to put foot under others, it's his god presence..

everyone of us has his or her own god presence :eek:

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I have to say the way the league has decided to approach this is strange and probably not right. They just reviewed the play where Francis got hurt and thought it didn't warrant action, right? If he's doing it, call fouls and level suspensions for unsportsmanlike conduct. This business about giving him a warning is kinda silly. If he's doing something wrong, just punish him. If not, leave him alone. Right now they seem to be in some kind of nether world where they haven't caught him doing anything wrong, but think he might. wth?

15. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Give Popovich 50K fine!

lol

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Don't criticize any of the spers or Pops. They are class organization and they play the right way like Malone and Stockton used to.

17. superden

superden Contributing Member

Hehe, that made me chuckle to myelf. I am glad someone is finally doing something about Bowen's dirty playing style. Everyone has known this for so long and NOW they are doing something about it? Better late than never. Maybe they will start officiating Yao better...oh, I can dream can't I?

18. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

rofls love that utah jazz remark. but seriously do you see raja bell and what not injuring star players? yeah i get it that you defend well bruce, but sticking your legs under someone and claiming that you werent trying to intentionally injure them is bull crock. and i also agree with the point proven earlier, if the league would enforce this sooner, we wouldnt have this situation, end of story.