1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Pistons Poll] Great team or Great Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by pradaxpimp, Feb 9, 2006.

?

Players or Chemistry?

1. Players

23 vote(s)
    22.8%
  2. Chemistry

78 vote(s)
    77.2%
  1. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Do you think the Pistons are better due to their "chemistry" or just great individual talents from 1-5?

2. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

4 of them made the all star squad

3. Kyrodis

Kyrodis Contributing Member

You obviously can't deny that each of their individual starting 5 are good players. However, since none of them are "superstars" in the traditional sense of the word, it's the team dynamic more than anything else that truly puts them over the top and makes them elite.

Then again...like reggietodd said, 4 out of their starting 5 are on the all-star team. I can't recall anything like that happening n recent history. There have been a lot of teams who send 3 all-stars, but 4 is rare...unless I'm just having dumb moment here.

#3 Kyrodis, Feb 9, 2006
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2006
  4. tchou

tchou Contributing Member

Does it have to be just one or the other?

Ben is arguable the best interior defender in the league.
    Billups one of the best floor general and a clutch performers.
    Rip is the best in the league at moving without the ball and shooting the mid-range J.
    Sheed is probably one of the top 5 power forwards in the league.

The reason why they're not all superstars is that Ben can't perform offensively, Billups and Hamilton, although better defenders, can still improve in that department. Detroit's best all-around starters are Prince & Sheed. Both of whom take more of a team approach.

If they had no chemistry, the team would fail miserably, but the combination of great players with great chemistry leads to great success. Since no single Piston is considered a superstars and the team's success doesn't ride on the back of any single player, that is why we're having this discussion.

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly I think that is wrong

I am beginning to think the Piston are over rated
    I thought they were BLOWING away the league

but the Spurs and Mavs are less than 3 games out from them

Rocket River

6. Tree-Mac

Tree-Mac Contributing Member

why did larry brown leave the pistons? i bet he must not be so happy now, considering they might win another championship while he's stuck with an underdeveloped team.

7. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

It's both. They have great chemistry together and all of their starters are very strong. They don't have a superstar but their top 8 is just incredibly good and they play team basketball. What I like best about them is they just care about winning, not who gets the credit.

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Both: they're a team of above-average role players at every position, with 4-5 all-star players on their roster.

They're a beast, I honestly think that if they somehow manage to keep Big Ben around, they will be a bigger obstacle to most teams for the next 3-4 seasons than the Spurs.

9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Both. They have the best starting lineup in the NBA, it also helps that everyone knows their part and performances.

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

wins are overrated.

11. yaopao

yaopao Contributing Member

None of whom are franchise players though.

12. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Last I can remember is when the lakers had four with Shaq, Kobe, NVE, and Eddie Jones.

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

really? i have to double check that... i also thought this year's pistons were the only ones

14. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I believe that was the year Kobe was a 6th man and was voted in as a starter by the fans. He shouldn't have been anywhere near the all-star game (well, the dunk contest).

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Good Players but a great team. Contrasting team is the Heat, good players but not a great team yet. The great teams like the Pistons and Spurs have a core of guys that have played with each other for a while, something the Heat don't/won't have if Riley blows up his team this off-season when they don't win the championship again. Riley just has to be as patient as Joe Dumars and the results will come.

16. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

It remains to be seen if patience will work. The Heat team has talent but is not well put together. Their chemistry may never develop enough for them to make a serious run.

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think that Rip Hamilton would put up superstar numbers if that was what his team needed him to do. I really do think he could average around 25 points a game. That said, it's admirable that he takes less of the individual glory for the sake of the team.

18. stro4swift

stro4swift Contributing Member

Chemistry, every player on the starting rotation is a key to his team and that's why I don't think Chauncey Billups should get the MVP...even though he's been clutch this season, this team is all about the 5 starting players on the court