1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rockets.com] Chuck Hayes update and note about Ron Artest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fritz145, Sep 19, 2008.

1. fritz145

fritz145 Member

2. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Nice. Thanks for the read. Good to know Ron is such a hard worker.

3. joesr

joesr Member

Heh, limiting his skills? I love the chuck wagon and the defense he brings but I hope he isn't talking loosing his defensive skills cause otherwise what other reason is there for him on the court? His offense? His fake you out free throws? DON'T LOSE THAT D!

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks Jason.

I knew he was going to hate having to wear that thing. He basically wore it one game the first time he had it broken at UK.

As for what it limits, it skews the way you see things. For Chuck he has to be able to see to play defense and read the rebounds. That's why it bothers him, because if you have ever worn one of those annoying masks it feels like you can breathe and it creates a sort of tunnel vision. The sides around your eyes is really hard to adjust to.

I never had to wear one to play, but a teammate did in high school and just trying the thing on was uncomfortable.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I hear you but Rip Hamilton has forever changed the perception of wearing masks. He had his most efficient and productive years wearing one of those things. I would think it would have even less of an impact on a player that doesn't rely on shooting and finesse to help his team.

6. BrooksBall

I liked this part:

"One other note from Toyota Center today: It's amazing hard Ron Artest works out there. Today, he and Chuck were taking part in shooting drills with the Rockets' new director of player development, Brett Gunning. With Artest, it's all business and all, "Yes, sir," and "No, sir." Obviously, he will ultimately be judged on what he does during the regular season and playoffs, not by his practice court demeanor. But you have to admire the man's work ethic, and his attitude toward practice couldn't be better at this point."

Ron Artest = Workhorse

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A hard man is good to have?

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yes he has, but if they are so great, why don't more people wear them? Rip just got used to it and because he was successful with it figured it was because of the mask.

9. FFz

FFz Member

Chuck: I wish yar the best luck in all of the seven seas! Thank yar fARRitz for yar scribing.

10. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

true. it has a superstitioness to it because once he hits the bench he takes that thing off quickly. even in the huddles ive seen him take it off.

11. AzNaNsZ

AzNaNsZ Member

well if chuck can't play with it then how the hell does rip score like 50 points with that thing

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Good job JCF.I especially liked the Steve Francis interview.

13. BrooksBall

I was kind of kidding with the Rip comment. I don't see it being a big deal for Chuck though with the type of role he plays and the minutes he gets, assuming he still even has it on by the time the regular season rolls along.

14. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

Thanks Jason, great stuff!

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Ron Artest being a gym rat isn't news. During his suspension he would show up at midnight after Indiana games to pump iron because watching the games got him so pumped. Just look at the dude. He is the definition of "solid." And this contract year is his biggest ever, by the way. Hope he doesn't overdo it. What I like is the reports that he's taking the same approach to his spot up three point shooting. If he makes any improvement at all on his three point shot, he will be a cruel cruel opponent.

16. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

17. BrooksBall

Nobody said it was a new phenomenon. It is news that he was doing it this week in Houston and good to hear it. And, a lot of people are aware of the facts you just stated about Artest because they have access to the same resources as you.

18. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

I wasn't trying to get personal. So I said it wasn't news and you said it's not new that it's not news. OK. We all agree that we all knew Ron Artest has an intense work ethic when it comes to basketball.

19. Grace2008

Grace2008 New Member

Attitude decides everything! I'm very satisfied with his attitiude. I believe in Ron Artest this time.

20. hooroo

hooroo Member

It gets too hot especially for a high energy player.