1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nest Thermostat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, May 16, 2013.

1. Nero

Nero Member

Figured someone here must have one of these Nest thermostats.

Not exactly cheap, but they can be had for around $180 for the '2nd Generation', and I was hoping to maybe hear some honest feedback here from those of you who have made the plunge and installed one..

What do you think? Was it worth it? Are you seeing any noticeable difference in your heating/cooling costs? And is it as easy to use and train as they claim? Does your house stay comfortable on the schedule it comes up with?

Right now my house just has the stock 'On/Off, and temp setting' kind of thermostat, as basic as it gets. Been thinking about getting something a little more sophisticated, but I don't want to get suckered by useless hype, if it's just not worth it.

So, anyone?

Thanks

2. updawg

updawg Member

Everything I've heard about them has been great. People really like them. I'd get one right now but my ac is going to need to be replaced in the next few years so I'll just wait. But I am tempted to get one right now

3. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

I looked into the Nest, but instead decided to go with the Ecobee instead. It has more functionality than the Nest, but doesn't look as 'cool'. The big thing that doesn't make sense with the Nest is that it adjust the temp when it 'sees' that you are there. If the thermostat isn't in a place where there is a lot of traiffic, how would it know if you are there or not. That being said, even with the Ecobee, its more of cool thing to have than a big cost savings. Its nice to be able to get on an app and change the temp and get a report of how long your AC runs and how you're house compares to others in the area, but just having a thermostat that you can program seems just the same to me.

4. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the nest should come with a remote motion sensor that 'talks' to the device whenever you walk into the front door which may be several feet away from the thermostat..

also several remote thermometers throughout the region that AC deals with. so that a better area temp is recorded

5. underoverup

underoverup Member

I like mine you can send out tweets and status updates to facebook.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

From your thermostat? Seems like they finally figured out how to accomplish the primary function of a thermostat: social media.

1 person likes this.
  7. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

i love mine. i travel a lot for business, so i like being able to adjust the temp when i'm arriving and leaving the house for extended periods of time remotely.

i also log the monthly reports in an Excel file to track my energy usage.

8. toby

toby Member

have it. love it. I've used the money saved to purchase a few as gifts (and they love it too).

9. underoverup

underoverup Member

I really only use it for social media when i'm in the hallway.

1 person likes this.
  10. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

http://www.theverge.com/2014/1/13/5305282/google-purchases-nest-for-3-2-billion

Should be interesting now with Google owning them to see what direction they go in now. Just bought a pair of Nest thermostats this past year.

1 person likes this.
  11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

I put in my Nest 2nd Generation about a month ago and absolutely love it. The installation was extremely easy, and they even included all the tools needed in the box. Since I am always away from home, being able to set my thermostat from my phone is freaking amazing.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

13. Svpernaut

Or force you to +1 Google Plus articles to raise the temperature in your house.

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I still don't understand the great love of these things. I looked into them but they're so expensive I couldn't figure out why I should get them over the programmable ones I already have. I have 3 units in my house so we're talking nearly a grand for the entire house.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

LOL or else they send a Boston Dynamics drone to bust your **** up and take back the Nest thermostats

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You go to change the thermostat in you house, and it plays an Ad for insulation or AC Service. Google is becoming dangerous in the way they track you. The whole Google+ tie-in to EVERY Service is a problem.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Installed our Nest about 3 weeks ago. Love it so far... but to be clear, I was coming from a VERY old thermostat. It was digital, but one of the oldest digital varieties possible. Even just cosmetically, the thing looked horrible and ancient, but beyond that it did nothing the Nest does.

But even with all of that.... holy smack balls. $3.2 billion. I'd be curious to see internal forecasts for the company. They must be banking on the fire detector catching on (and I can see that, you usually have more fire detectors than thermostats) PLUS other new products..

18. hairyme

hairyme Member

[​IMG]

Hmm, so Nero, how much are you getting paid for this thread??

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They are working on a lot more than just thermostats and fire alarms. Pretty much anything in your home. The worn out phrase "tip of the iceberg" actually applies here. Remember, Amazon started as a bookstore before evolving into King Kong.

This could end up being much more important to Google than the YouTube purchase. Give it 3-4 years. For the sake of competitive balance, I think Apple really should have snagged this one. They missed the boat.

20. Svpernaut

It is hard to explain, but the power it gives you is intoxicating. Before, my relatively new digital thermostat could only be programmed for certain hours... such as automatically going up by 5 degrees between 9AM and 5PM while I'm work.

However, I travel frequently - as in up to 90% of the time and I can simply set my nest to "away" via my phone and an hour or two before I get home I can either turn on the heater or A/C so it is perfect by the time I get home. It is also really great when it gets extremely cold or extremely hot and I can adjust even though I'm not home so I know nothing will get damaged from extreme temps one way or the other. As someone who really has no rhyme or reason to my home schedule, it is a blessing. If you have pets it is piece of mind too.

For those who are home more than me, the Nest actually learns as you use it - so if a few days in a row you set the A/C to go down a few degrees at a certain time, it will automatically do that. It also has motion sensors so it knows when you're away.

It can save you money in the long run, but at the premium price it would take years to make back that money in savings. You're paying for the convenience and luxury of having your house at whatever temp you want it at, whenever you want it.

The build quality is top notch, so it feels "worth it" even if you aren't going to save hundreds of dollars using it.