1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Water Bill $79/month? IS that High? -Fort Bend CO MUD #143

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by agslai, Jan 22, 2014.

1. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Hey guys,

In 2008, I built a new house and my water bill was around $25-35 per month. Two years later, the meters were changed and my monthly bill has been around $75-80 per month. The MUD in our area in Fort Bend CO MUD #143.

Is that high? My latest bill states I used 6000 gallons of water (they state they do not read after the decimal.) I was charge $31.60 for Sewer, $20.55 for Water, $12.96 North Fort Bend Water Authority, and $9.62 Fire Protection.

I have checked with my friend that live in different MUDs and Harris County and it seems they are only paying $25-35 per month. What i think is interesting is my water bill in the summer (watering the grass everyday) is basically the same as my current water bill (I water the grass once a week.)

Are there anyway to challenge their billing? I am thinking about joining the board.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I hate Houston City and Water. They're like a goon squad. I'm still waiting on repayment of over $650 this past Summer when they said I was using over 20,000 gallons a month and my bills were around $280 without even running my sprinklers. Now it's back down to $100 wile running them but they do nothing but give me the "well we need to send this issue to so and so and we'll credit your account."

Still waiting. Those sewage fees are ridiculous too. I pay more for those than the water itself.

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Not sure about Fort Bend, but in harris county, they charge sewer fees. And that amounts to about 35% of my water bill.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Just a guess but your water bill might be high due to fewer customers and the cost of maintaining facilities?

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I pay $65-70 in Missouri City.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Go read your meter and make sure it is being read correctly. It is possible they are estimating.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Exactly what part of Ft. Bend County do you live? Has the area (specifically your MUD district) not developed as quickly as expected? If not, you may be in trouble.

8. OnebyOne

OnebyOne Member

I lived in Ft Bend and my water bill is pretty high too...around 90-120 bucks. Watering the lawn once or twice a week in the summertime.

9. dragician

dragician Member

I pay 120 avg.

10. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Same here.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You could look into getting a water well installed. Supposedly those net a profit after about 2 years.

12. Poloshirtbandit

I'm having the same problem. I moved into a house in October and somehow used 20,000 gallons over two weeks. All my other months have been around $30. Contacted the city about it and they said they'd investigate and get back to me but still nothing. :mad:

13. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Can't say about your specific MUD but some of them have minimum amounts for up to 10K gallons of water or something similar to that.

14. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Lol good luck bro. I quit my job at the city two months ago and they still haven't paid me out my vacation. Everything takes extra long at the city.

15. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I deal with a Harris County MUD. Usually my bill is $70-80 a month, but across the highway residents there have bills that average about $30 cheaper. Reason being that they pay a yearly "MUD Tax" that residents on my side don't.

16. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Thanks fellas....Seem like most of us are getting F**K by these water departments. I plan to attend the next board meeting and eventually get on to the board.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My last bill was also 6k gallons and $75 from City of Houston inside Harris County. So, it sounds reasonable to me. The sewage fees sound reasonable to me -- I don't want to see what this place is like when sewage is underfunded.