1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Feels like Adelman is overacheiving with this team, with a $20 million roster hole

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by code_red, Mar 23, 2009.

1. code_red

code_red Member

Regardless of how we do in the post season, I think Adelman is overacheiving with the Rockets. We are more or less playing with one all star (Yao), a decent but selfish SF (Artest), and the rest are scrubs. When I think of whether Phil Jackson or Popovich could do better with the Rockets if they were in Adelman's shoes, I don't think they could do any better, but they could only match Adelman's accomplishments this season.

Many other teams in the NBA with a $20 million hole in their roster would be floundering right now. We could easily be out of the playoffs with the roster we have, but the fact that we are contending for 2nd place in the West right now is pretty impressive on Adelman's part.

Just my two cents.

1 person likes this.
  2. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

A praise Rick Adelman thread? No way!! There have been multiple threads of people asking for his head that I've never been able to understand. He is a great coach I do not question his decisions.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

No one in the West is doing a better job. You could argue Brown in the East. If you take the last 2 regular seasons, no one has done better in the league.

4. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

That what having the best, cheapest Role and bench players in the league gets you.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Scola isn't a scrub. Landry isn't. Lowry isn't either. Don't call them scrubs :(

Brooks, Wafer, Hayes and all those other guys...yeah they gotta improve a bit.

6. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Um you have to understand that the players on not scrubs... they are contenders who compliment each other.

7. code_red

code_red Member

See, I wonder about that. Why is it that players that are rotting on the bench of other teams, are able to find success with Adelman?

Here's a few I can name:

- Bonzi Wells (he was coveted highly when NO went for him)
    - Carl Landry
    - Lowry
    - Von Wafer

There must be something more if Adelman can turn these players into decent players, while other teams just want to get rid of them. Granted, Morey has done a good job of finding these players, but Adelman has done a good job of getting the most that he can out of these players.

8. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

This isn't a team with scrubs, it's a deep team the deepest we have had.

Artest may get dribble happy every now and them but for the most part I think he has been great for this team.

Adleman, I don't know now I think he's better and at the end of last year I thought he was better. Do you think he is the reason we started slow for two years in a row.

I miss JVG, I think he had Yao playing tougher than this coaching staff.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

couldn't agree more. i don't think the rest of the team is scrubs, though. i think they are for the most part all underrated players, but that shouldn't take away from adelmans accomplishments.

he has not just kept the team competitive without tmac. he had to deal with the in-and-out BS that tmac was pulling, and the almost-but-not locker room meltdown because of it. artest and shane missed a lot of games as well.

he deserved COY last year. without yao he leads the team to a historic winning streak, and into the playoffs with a starting lineup which featured 3 guys who needed surgery, a 40+, and a rookie.

RA for COY 09!!!

10. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

RA IS overachieving. 2nd round talents like Landry and Brooks are exceeding their draft expectations and underachievers like Wafer are overachieving on this team.

Last years 22w streak and this year's 2nd spot in the Western conference = bring on the RA monocle fest!

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

22 million could bring some very, VERY nice players in to help out Yao-Ron-Scola.

Honestly, I am still praying for Baron Davis/Marcus Camby in the offseason...

12. ibm

ibm Member

did you just call scola a scrub? :rolleyes:

giving praise to the coach doesn't have to come at the expense of the players, you know.

13. dragonwill

dragonwill Member

We had been play hard and play with heart through out this season.
    No body doubt about it. But we didn't achieve nothing yet.

14. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The rest are scrubs? Um, WTF??? I don't understand why people are so consistently shocked by how well this team does.

I remember thinking to myself even before the season started that we would be a force to be reckoned with even if ANY ONE of the big three went down (leaving us with two of the three). And the best of the big three went down, and we're still dominating, so I'd say I was right.

Since whenTF are Luis Scola, Carl Landry, Shane Battier, Aaron Brooks, Von Wafer, and even Chuck Hayes "scrubs"??? Since whenTF is Artest just "decent"? Even without Mac, we have one of the most talented teams in the NBA. They may not exactly be MVP-candidates. They may have some big weaknesses, but they also all have some really strong specialties, and they are all gonna give you everything they have every night.

So just out of curiosity, what'd you think of the Spurs '99 and '03 championship roster outside of Duncan at the time?

15. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

adelman has done a great job making our players run the offense, but i think this team could coach itself.

16. blender

blender Member

Landry's only played for the Rockets. Lowry was considered a talented PG whom other teams have tried to pry from the Grizzlies. He wasn't getting playing time in Memphis because they had an overload of talented PGs. Definitely not a scrub.

Honestly, I think the Rockets kind of lucked out with Wafer. He came into the league young and I think needed a few years to get it together. If not for all the injury issues with our three wings (and Luther Head kind of sucking), he probably wouldn't have gotten the minutes to shine here, either. But Adelman does deserve praise for getting so much out of him when we needed him.

Bonzi, well, you got me there. Don't know what the hell happened to that guy.

But I agree that Adelman deserves a COY for the job he's done this season. He should at least get a nomination.

17. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

If we finish behind the Lakers, RA will definately get a COY nomination, but I don't see him winning it. Some of us aren't giving enough credit to Phil Jackson and Mike Brown. Do you know how hard it is to have less than 15 losses at this point in the season? Considering everything, Rick has done a fantastic job, but like last year, he won't get it at the end. He deserved the award more so last year.

18. MacYao223

MacYao223 Member

If we can sign Artest to a reasonable deal and get Tmac's contract off our books, and land a decent FA shooting guard, we can then beat the Lakers

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

if we beat Utah in Salt Lake tomorrow i think we can beat them in the playoffs.

20. landryfans

landryfans Member

I partially agree with this assessment, although I would say scola is above average player, landry and battier are soild role player.

This is not a deep team, but play with good team chemistry.