1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should The Rockets make official protest & have final seconds of Game 1 replayed?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Apr 21, 2014.

?

Should Final seconds of Game 1 be replayed?

1. Yes...Did it before, do it again.

41 vote(s)
    42.7%
  2. No...We have to live with it, again.

55 vote(s)
    57.3%
  1. biojayc

biojayc Member

Wouldn't this be bad for the Rockets since they usually shoot a lot of free throws each game? It's part of Harden's game to get to the line.

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The only way a bad foul call should result in a replay is if the ref clearly ignored a foul so egregiously wrong as to call in question the refs integrity. I struggle to even think of an example. It would have to be something like Lopez punching Howard in the junk right in front of the ref and calling a foul on Howard.

While the foul on Dwight was egregious it doesn't CLEARLY call into question the integrity of the official making the call. That call last night can easily be chalked up to the ref having a bad view of the play.

The simple and most logical solution is one of two things, either (1) have all foul calls in the final 2 minutes of reg/OT be reviewable, or (2) give the coaches 2 challenges of foul calls per game, with unlimited challenges thereafter if the coach doesn't lose a challenge; with the awarding of an additional challenge for OT. I like #2 the best simply because it limits the review time that slows down games. Most coaches would save at least 1 challenge for end of game situations. No doubt McHale would have challenged and won on that call.

3. Throttle

Throttle Member

As they say in MMA, dont leave it to the judges scorecard.

In this close game, 1 wrong call & it wldve swung either. Dont let it be a close game.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IDK. It would seem sorta petty. I think they should just re-group and destroy them Wednesday.

5. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Which makes it that much bigger of a blown call. Even more of a reason to re-do it.

6. makio9

makio9 Member

I don't think it should be replayed.

Mistakes will always be there unless you want a million stoppages. It's just part of the game. Sometimes you get some calls sometimes you don't. If you happened to lose because of 1 call then you didn't play well enough to avoid it.

That's the way the cookie crumbles.

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I've been harping on the league to give coaches the ability to challenge calls like they do in the NFL...

Regarding integrity of the official...one referee gets mentioned a great deal in this video.

Watch the Jeremy Lin charge call that was turned into a blocking call...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/R_s1S1CEBTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. rlivz

rlivz Contributing Member

Is this thread for real? This is embarrassing. Yes, the refereeing was terrible. Yes, we had some crappy calls go against us. But anyone who didn't think we got the benefit of some seriously questionable calls in our favor in the fourth quarter is flat-out not paying attention or is completely unable to look at a game without extreme bias.

9. Yohohoho

Yohohoho Member

No, going to move on. They at least admitted one fault among many other masked calls.

Even though they just threw the salt in our faces, I would rather hear it now than after game 7, three years from now.

10. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

What's funny to me is the fact that major league baseball, yes the same league that takes like 50 years to make minor changes, has a more advanced replay system than the NBA. Seems like almost anything is reviewable in baseball now. Why can't we just get a couple of challenges a game? What is the harm in that?

11. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

No, I wouldn't for reasons already stated, but man, Portland fans are going to be pissed late Wednesday night, given the refs history for correcting wrongs.

12. Clarinetmonster

Hoping it won't be nearly that close for the calls to matter. Hoping.

13. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

They should just put in the request to FIRE THE DAMN REFS WHO OFFICIATED THIS GAME !!!, that will set an example for the rest of 'em.

14. Panda23

Panda23 Member

**** IT WE'LL DO IT LIVE

15. juanm34

juanm34 Member

file for protest which will be denied but at least puts the officials on notice. which should make them call it down the middle causing them to lose the money they have on portland to win the series.

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

Wow. First time to see that video. That hurts just to watch.

17. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Even in MLB you can't challenge a judgement call. Everything that you can challenge in baseball is objective (fair/foul, catch/no catch, tag/no tag, etc...). You can't challenge a subjective call such as a ball/strike or a balk. Likewise in the NFL, you can't challenge a subjective call such as holding or pass interference, only objective things like in bounds/out of bounds, catch/no catch, # of players on the field.

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"It's as if there is no coach out there..." ouch...

19. RealRocFan47

RealRocFan47 Member

It's so many post I wanna reply to. Lol ill try to hit them all in one. First off ley me say that I still Bellerive that we will win this series. Second, I understand that the ref's make judgement calls throughout the entire game. ..

The reason why I agree with rthe replay is because this bad call determined the outcome of the game. There is no denying that. The league admitted that Howard should have gotten two frwe throws. We were down by one with the momentum in their hands. One made free throw by Dwight would have changed that. I believe that any instance where I bad call is made that can determine the game "under 24 seconds" one full possession should have the opportunity to be replayed. If it was a min left I honestly would feel diffeeent. If we were down three poins I would feel different. But we were down by one point; in overtime with 10 seconds left. That wrong call undoubtedly changed the outcome of the game. Granted we shouldn't of let it come down to that, it did. And we were left with the short end of the stick, and the league knows it..I want even thinking about the two fts when they calked the bad foul. I jyst wanted the ball...but the fact that we were deprived of two free throws in that stage of the game is just not right

Call it what you want. ... cry baby, whining, whatever. It is what it is.

20. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member