1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Asik Will Measure Bulls' Financial Commitment To Winning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Jul 4, 2012.

?

Do you think Chicago will match Rockets offer?

1. Match offer

13 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. Let Asik walk

30 vote(s)
    69.8%
  1. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/blog/221989/Asik_Will_Measure_Bulls_Financial_Commitment_To_Winning
    By: Shams Charania

[​IMG]

Interesting article on Asik. Thought I would share.

Question, will Chicago match or will they let Asik walk?

2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Bulls owner has always been a cheap skate, he will let Asik walk.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure how the CBA treats it, but if they can match the offer and then trade him before the trading deadline, then I think they will do that.

He's not worth that much to them, but if the first year has a low starting salary, then they probably want to match now, trade later rather than letting him walk for nothing knowing that they're very slim on tradeable assets and future cap space.

4. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

I believe that they will match the offer, then trade him after next season...get a return on their Asik...I mean asset.;)

5. rockets018

rockets018 Member

^ this is very true as well. I didnt see this post and shortly posted something similar. I believe wether Bulls match or not we end up with Noah or Asik. I know they are going to go hard after Lee

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They can match the contract and then try to trade him. However, it's complicated.

1. They need to find a team willing to take the $14.9 M cap hit in the 3rd year. Remember, the team that CHI trades him do don't get to average out the cap hit and have to deal with the "poison pill" effect. Only HOU gets to enjoy the benefit of averaging out the cap hit.

2, The contract gets less attractive in the 2nd year in terms of average $ amount-- the average of the 3 years is $8.36M, but the average for the last 2 years is $10M, and, of course, the last year is for $14.9M.

3. Any trade partner would know the Bulls tax predicament and would likely try to lowball them as a result.

4. They can't trade him without his consent for an entire year. They also cannot trade him to the Houston Rockets for an entire year. This makes finding a trade partner more complicated. If they wait, not only does the average $ go up, there is also a risk that if Asik get injured or doesn't perform as well as he has, the contract would have negative value.

7. rockets018

rockets018 Member

Thanks Carl for the info. After one season i have confidence that Asik will be worth the average of 10 mil a year if he has a starting job. Think about him working with Mchale. Asik is a hustler and im sure has a ton of respect for Mc. Im sure he would be Mcs favorite player

8. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

I think its about more than that. Bulls are not winning next year anyways. So that poison pill does not kick in till around the time their superstar is completely healed and ready to make a championship run. At which time Asiks contract could limit them from doing anything to help that cause anyways. Lets face it he is a backup. So if they want to get silly and think they are gonna be better off matching? Then by all means kill your franchise with a contract while Rose is still not playing or at a high level yet. Being I know them and how smart they are? I feel there is a at least 60% chance ASik is on the Rockets to stay and they dont match. On the off chance they turn into one of the worse run franchises for one night and decide otherwise? Well That would also be bad for Morey to lose out from a psyche standpoint of striking out again. I just dont think the Bulls are that dumb but I could be wrong because Morey gave the contract in the first place. It was for a starter though. Bulls are clearly paying starters money to a backup if they do.

9. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

no, we gave them courtney lee bait, er I mean they will go after lee now that he's unrestricted

10. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

and anyone who thinks Asik is worth it to the Bulls because the Bulls are so called.

"winning next year" is delusional. They are not winning anything with Rose healing up.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMAO all this talk about Les Alexander being a horrible owner, the Bulls are one of the worst owners in the league. He just had the benefit of:

1) Jerry Krause
    2) PJ
    3) MJ

ANd lived of all that good will for the last 2 decades or so. Their owner is a known white sox addict and funnels all the surplus funds to his beloved baseball team, and the Bulls have been well documented to be the most financially successful franchise in the league the past couple of years now.