1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why doesn't anyone really want Hassan Whiteside?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Levi, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Levi

Levi Member

you say he's a locker room problem, but people in Miami seem to love him. and besides, half the guys we've signed in the Harden era are like that.
    he's the 2nd best center in the NBA so I'd much rather have him than Horford

2. abaker28

abaker28 Member

He's young and has done done or said some stupid things in the past.
    But Miami has the vet presence of Bosh and Wade to keep the kids under control.
    We don't and that's the reason I think people are dubious about him.

My personal opinion is sign him!

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think the guy is going to pull a Larry Sanders once he gets paid.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

He should stay right where he is.

Miami, Riley, Spoelstra, Wade, Bosh, Haslem.

Going to a young team with a first time head coach like the Lakers could mean disaster.

5. Levi

Levi Member

I think he'll stay put, but the Rockets are as an attractive destination outside of Miami for him as anyone

6. Juxtaposed Jolt

I dunno, I think I'd only stay if Bosh's body was guaranteed healthy for a year. Otherwise, I'd try to go to another contending team.

Ironically, Lakers are probably more attractive for FAs, now that Kobe has retired.

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

I want Whiteside, but he doesn't want me back :*(

8. icecreamman

icecreamman Member

who said no one wants him? I want him. give him the max

9. Lightsnowaction

He said that basketball is his 2nd job. Plus, I saw him in the playoffs get murdered inside trying to guard Jonas and Al Jefferson.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

People want him..just not for the max.

Hes already 27 but is closer to 24 in his development. And you can't be sure youll get this past year from him again because he seems like the type to coast once he gets his deal..

11. MONON

MONON Member

Plus he's a head case.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

He's an overrated defensive center that primarily excels in the most overrated defensive stat and is a product of an environment that would be very difficult to replicate outside of Miami.

13. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

There's a higher chance that he turns into another Andrew Bynum or Larry Sanders than DeAndre Jordan.

14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

15. Nook

Nook Member

He isn't a kid like everyone thinks. He is 27 years old.

He also was benched by the Heat repeatedly down the stretch of important games because of his effort/attitude.

The Heat will have to decide quickly of Whiteside because he publicly stated he will make his decision before Durant does.

1 person likes this.
  16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He turner into a star real out of nowhere after being a scrub for 5 years, some people might think it's still a fluke. Some think he's just in it for the money and will give up after he gets paid(possible), some think he's a bad defender despite his outrageous shot blocking rates, some don't like his attitude because he got some dumb flagrant fouls in his first year with Miami and has said some questionable/immature things in interviews.

What he is, unquestionably, though is a elite rebounder, elite finisher at the rim, elite shot blocker (currently best in the league), extremely long, he hits his free throws at a respectable rate, he just turned 27 and for the most part is healthy and in his prime.

His advanced defensive stats are great, he lead the league this year with a ridiculous DRtg of only 95, also lead the playoffs with a rating of 92. He also had 10 win shares this season, which again is great. I don't think stats lie, his overall impact on the game is huge (as show in the Charlotte series), but he isn't a great one on one defender against quicker centers (as was on display in his Raptors series against Val).

Based off the numbers, and his mini max of 22 million compared to what other lesser players will get this off season, compared to players will get paid next off season (35+ mill per), he is without a question deserving of a max IMO, in fact he if he keeps up his level of play, next off season his contract will likely be below market value, meaning he will be a bargain contract.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

He's not that good defensively like others said here. He's a terrific shot blocker and a big presence in the paint on both sides which is maybe underrated. The real problem is that he seems to be an idiot honestly, or at least it seems like he's way more interested in getting paid than anything which...is understandable in his situation...? But still...it's a big risk.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

He's a need for us, and top 5 at the position, but I don't like players coming back that do not have a manifest destiny. So just pass. We need to reinvent ourselves.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

whiteside: "I'm a businessman that happens to play basketball"

Yea, pity to the team that pays him.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not long ago he was a minimal NBA player and a nothing.

Would show more humility if I were him.