1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Do you have a land line?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Fatty FatBastard, Jul 22, 2009.

Tags:
?

Still have a land line?

1. Yes

49 vote(s)
    34.0%
  2. No

95 vote(s)
    66.0%
  1. Fatty FatBastard

Went over to Woot just now, and saw they had a phone for sale and thought to myself "how archaic." I haven't had a land line since 2001.

So who still has one? And if you do, explain why.

TIA

#1 Fatty FatBastard, Jul 22, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2009
  2. Nero

Nero Member

Just switched over to VOIP from my land line, thus keeping the same phone # I have had for years.

As to why, the number is the reason - relatives, and others, all have that number, and I just don't feel like having to try to get everyone I can possibly think of updated with a new number should I let the line go.

Plus, I like being able to answer a phone in any room of the house where I have a cordless phone handy, instead of constantly having to run and find my cell phone every time it rings.

3. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I have one because I have DirecTV, and had to get a phone line with Bellsouth/AT&T to get DSL service with them. It is the only reason. I didn't have one when I was in college, aside from when I lived in the dorm and a local phone was required to order Pizza.

4. Fatty FatBastard

I'm pretty sure you can transfer your home number to a cell phone these days. And I typically keep my cell on me, so I don't have to worry about running to a room with the cell in it, unless it is charging.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Land line came in real handy after the hurricane last year. No power. Cell phone ran down. But I still had the land line.

6. Fatty FatBastard

Lol. Yes, I can see college towns getting punked enough times to require this.

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Never had a land line myself. I moved out of my parents home in 06, never could justify the expense.

8. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

Yes. Because my sister and I used to live together in a gated apartment complex here in Austin. Naturally for friends to come visit, they have to dial in. The apartment management said we could use cell phones, but wouldn't give us two separate numbers to dial into (my friends dial me, her friends dial her) and they were most adamant about not letting us use her cell phone (Houston #).

Therefore, we got a land line. It turns out it's handy because my sister got crappy reception in our apartment, so half the time she'd drop calls anyway and so they'd call the apartment phone. She used that land line a bunch.

THEN my sister moved out. I was going to cut it off, but I found out she entered us into a price-lock contract, and I don't have the money to break it.

So I still have a land line, even though I have no real use for it.

9. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

No, but I have a Frag Mine. Actually lots of Frag Mines. They are all over the Capital Wasteland.........CHILDREN!

(actually I do have a land line)

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I still have mine, but I am about to get rid of it. Should save me about 50 dollars a month.

11. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

No. My wife and I use cell phones

12. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Luckily the dorms provided the line, you just had to bring your own phone. We kept it unplugged most of the time because we would get calls for previous students or what seemed like identity theft schemes.

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've had a landline exactly once in my adult life. My parents moved into my house for a few months while they were shopping for and then remodeling a new house. They got it and paid for it. The phone line to my house was broken by a neighbors tree during Hurricane Humberto, and the phone company never reconnected it. I'm completely off-the-grid. (Well, except for power, cable, water, and sewer.)

14. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

Yes: but we rarely use it. Its only used by my mother when she stays over. She will call each one of my sibs to say hi...no matter where they live. This is the only reason why we keep it. We all have cell phones.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The cost of a land line + our cell phone plan is less than the cost of unlimited minutes on a cell phone plan.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's primarily why I still have a landline. In a disaster or blackout cell phone service can go down while landlines have their own power source. I still have a landline and an old fashioned corded phone. Also its good to still have a phone handy when your battery runs down on the cell phone.

17. Fatty FatBastard

I'm assuming you're under 30, then?

I had my first phone in 1990. Then had a few in college (moved 3 times) and had a couple after that. Now that I think about it, your # did always change anytime you moved, which was annoying. I still recall AT&T calling me about getting voicemail and my thinking "I already have an answering machine!" I got caller ID, but only at the tale-end of my land line days.

I'm 37, and I honestly don't know anyone who still has a land line other than my parents.

18. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

We just got a landline again because we get poor reception on our cell phones at our new home. Honestly, we just downgraded our cell phone plans and picked a $20/month service with AT&T and our bill is the same.

19. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Haven't had a land line since I graduated college in 99, it's a pointless expense for me.

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

When the SHTF all of your cell phones will be worthless. Land lines will be wide open.