1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Memphis Commercial Appeal: Duncan could be out for rest of year AND playoffs....

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigereye, Mar 27, 2005.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

Memphis Commercial Appeal...

Discuss.....

2. RocketKid

RocketKid Member

not at all surprised if true. i was saying he'd be out AT LEAST first round playoffs the moment i saw the replay, but the commentators were saying "weeks." i was like, whaaaat? there is NO WAY he is coming back before the season ends. i dont know....seeing those replays, did anyone honestly think he'd be gone for "weeks?" common.

3. tigereye

tigereye Member

New York Daily News adds fuel to the fire.....

Tim & none

That's what Spurs' chances for title are if Duncan's out

From Seattle to Phoenix to Dallas, and in every Western Conference playoff town in between, team executives, players and coaches are on a Tim Duncan watch.

A week ago, Duncan severely sprained his right ankle and could be out for the rest of the regular season with ligament damage that may not fully heal until next season. His status for the playoffs, and how effective he can be in the postseason, is the most significant development in the West since the Lakers broke up their mini-dynasty last summer by trading Shaquille O'Neal to the Heat.

"The entire West changed dramatically with Shaq leaving the Lakers," said Seattle GM Rick Sund this past week. "If Duncan is not 100% when the playoffs start, it changes things in our conference in a big way. I've always felt that Phoenix was the best team out here, anyway, even before Duncan went down. But he is the most dominant player in the West . . . If he's not his normal self for the playoffs, then that gives everybody a legitimate shot to get to the Finals."

The loss of Duncan could be a huge break for the Sonics, who could finish with the No. 2 seed, even with Vladimir Radmanovic, their third-most important player, out for the rest of the regular season with a leg injury.

But the biggest winner could be Phoenix, which is looking at its first No. 1 seed since posting the best record overall in 1993. That would cap a remarkable turnaround. The Suns finished in the lottery last season after winning only 29 games.

"Tim is an obvious impact player and his absence could certainly affect the Western Conference playoff picture," said Bryan Colangelo, the Suns' GM. "The No. 1 seed has been our goal all along, and we have competed neck-and-neck with the Spurs all season. What we need to worry about, however, is that we stay sharp and focused and compete each night as if nothing has changed."

There hasn't been a Western Conference champion outside of the Lakers or San Antonio since Utah won the conference in 1998. Since then, the Lakers and Spurs have won five of the last six NBA championships, with Detroit finally ending the West's domination last June.

"I can't worry about how this will impact us for the playoffs, because I really don't know at this time," said Spurs executive VP-coach Gregg Popovich. "Tim's disappointed because he was starting to get on his roll. But he knows that is over with and he's got to start over. So he's got to start to change gears and has gotten into rehab mode."

The West could well come down to how Duncan's recovery goes between now and the start of the playoffs on April 23.

"The Spurs are one of the few exceptions in that if they have Duncan, it doesn't matter if they have the homecourt advantage," said Boston coach Doc Rivers. "They've got veterans, they've been together and they've won. But without Duncan, you might see a team like Houston go to the Finals. They've got two stars - Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming, one inside and one outside - and a ton of veterans who can shoot. I wouldn't be shocked to see them go far. Because without Duncan, the West now is actually a small conference and a speed conference."

And suddenly, a conference up for grabs.

4. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I hope Duncan makes it back, UNLESS this paves the way for the Rockets to make the Finals. It's sad that a team plays hard during the regular season, establishes themselves as the (arguable) best team in the NBA, and then blows a tire on the last lap. I know it's life in the NBA, but it stinks. Get well Timmy :( (unless it would stop the Rockets from making the Finals). ;)

5. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

When I was in Vegas a few weeks ago, I was able to get the Rockets at 30-1 to win the championship.

So, let's just say I'm hoping the Memphis Commericial Appeal and the NY Daily News are reporting accurately ....

6. Man

Man Contributing Member

I think he'll be back for playoffs..

I hope he does..he's the best

But I want the Rockets to win it all!

7. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

anyone got video of the injury..i am yet to see it.

8. franchise23

franchise23 Contributing Member

Duncan is such a big competitor that I would really be surprised if he did not play in round 1 of the playoffs. However, I would also be surprised if he returns to MVP form and plays like he is completely healthy.

Although you never want anyone (especially someone with as much class and integrity as Duncan) get injured, this clearly leaves the West wide open and greatly enhances the Rockets chances of making it to the Finals.

9. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

I dont know if you really wanna see it

When they showed it in slow motion, it made me flinch big time

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Wow, nice find! Awesome quote by Doc Rivers. :D :cool:

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

duncan seems like a really nice guy and is obviously a great player who i don't really have anything against (just more the spurs in general) but i would be lying if i said i was rooting for a speedy recovery. the competitor (and spurs hater) in me says take the spurs down/make the rockets road easier any way possible. no one would feel sorry for us if tmac's hip injury was worse.

course SA may be the only team that can beat miami and i hate shaq worse so this is a dilemma.

12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If coming back prematurely could potentially jeopardize Duncan's career, he won't come back this season.

I remember a few years ago he had a knee injury, either in or near the playoffs, that he could have come back from early, but he (correctly) opted to sit out.

This type of thing is the reason why players don't want to participate on the national team. Duncan's had some minor injuries the past two seasons, and I'm willing to bet that some of it can be attributed to wear and tear from playing so much basketball without enough rest

13. Houstonrocketss

It's nasty and if your a spurs fan it's horrific, it's like seeing your season slip through your fingers......:eek:

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I just can't root for a rival team to have their best player back in time. If Yao can play consistant, this gives us a huge edge. I don't see anyone wanting to match up with us.

15. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

I don't think he'll be back for the playoffs, if he is- they're going to jeopardize themselves the next season.

My friend had a similar injury (high ankle sprain) and she had an air cast on her leg for 4 months then had extensive physical therapy.

I remember the PT saying if you start back up too early you can re-sprain it and be out even longer. Plus, you'll also be more susceptible to sprains from then on...

I don't think that's a gamble the Spurs are willing to take...

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I hope he makes it back. I don't want people saying the Rockets are only champions because Duncan was injured.

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

We'd still have to beat the Heat or Pistons to be champs. I doubt there'd be any more of an asterick than we got for missing the Sonics back in 94 and 95.

The main thing is that Duncan will be out or hobbled. That right ankle has been a problem for him all year (why Pop played him only 15 minutes in the ASG). Even if he comes back, he won't be close to 100%.

The flipside: Rasho and Nazr are a pretty nice plan B.

Evan

18. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Bingo. No asterisks. If we're going to win let's win against the best, at their best.

19. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

Trust me....unless your a masachist you definitely DON'T want to see it. I have a very hard stomach when it comes to this type of stuff and it even made me winse and turn away during the replays....:(

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It wasn't that horrible. A semi-typical example of coming down on someone's foot (Rasheed), and rolling the ankle all the way. The problem was, it was the same ankle (right) that's been in a bad shape all year.

Evan