1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Copa America centennial-2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by K mf G, Jul 17, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All they lack is a true captain.

Messi is a sharp blade, the most lethal weapon but he is no General.

they need a general.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

So Messi will retire after laying an egg in the Copa final? He is likely to lead an exodus with Aguero, DI Maria, Mascharenho, Biglia all rumored to hang up their international boots too.

Honestly, can Messi be considered the best ever player without winning a world cup or copa America for his country? Personally, I don't think so.

Winning a major trophy for your country is the dream for every footballer.

I am not sure why Messi has quit so soon. He is only 29 and still has a good 5-6 years left in him.

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It was way too emotional an action. I think he'll be back. Might just take the rest of qualifying off and come back for Russia. If you figure all of the games he's played and the injuries starting to be more common...it wouldn't be a terrible thing for him to miss some international dates over the next 2 years before making his triumphant return for the World Cup.

Can he be considered one of the best ever without having won a major title? Yes...but it will be the biggest mark against him.

4. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

****ing roller coaster of emotions last night.. Finals, GOT, Messi's "announcement."

Congrats Chile.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Just one point - He is ALREADY one of the best ever even if he doesn't step on a football field again.

I was talking BEST ever to play the game.

6. ths balla

ths balla Member

Chokes again?? He's never missed in a PK shootout before

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I don't know anything about Messi, but it sounds like a bratty I'm taking my ball and going home if you are going to criticize me thing.

I reckon the other options are:
    I'm tired and this is too much.
    Emotional reaction to his screw up.
    He wanted to legit retire early.

8. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Yah, you obviously don't know much.

9. The Stig

The Stig Member

In the light of things, I think Messi was on an emotional adrenaline when he made this decision. I think he will be back at the world cup.

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

You really should've just stopped at "I don't know anything about Messi". It is one of the 3 other things.

11. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

Been watching this guy for almost 15 years now and really have never seen him like this... he's devastated. Won't lie i teared up a bit.
    Aguante Leo!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rz_V5d2zyVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YKy_PmT_EFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is just upset - he will be back - I mean he has gotten that team to 4 straight finals - that is pretty danged good.

Messi is the Jim Kelly of the soccer world - he needs to win...and the irony is that PKs is not really winning.

DD

1 person likes this.
  13. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He's actually surprisingly poor at PKs (not just in shootouts) for a guy of his stature, but that's not the point. In all of the Finals, he's never had a great game. For a guy who is the greatest ever, he's never had a transcendent international performance in a Finals when it mattered.

Also, I lost some respect for Messi hearing that he quit Argentina. Cristiano Ronaldo is 31 and still playing. Ibrahimovic has never had any modicum of success internationally yet continued playing into the twilight of his career. It should be a great honor to play for your country. Quitting at 29 is not a good look.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Interesting that he mentions in the video there are a lot of people who want me to stop playing for the team. I don't why he would say that unless the criticism got to him and he's too sensitive. He could have left that out entirely.

15. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

This is very well known... err nvm. Carry on.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He's not G.O.A.T. and never was. Pelé is and will always be. Unless he comes back to help his national team, on which he quit in a whiny way like a sore loser, he won't ever be.

It's sad to see that he would do a KNEE-JERK reaction to be an attention w**** and take all the credit away from Chile. :eek:

He could have announced this another time. He still has like maybe two more Copa Americas and like maybe two more World Cups, but he decides to quit on his nation. Meh.

Good for CHILE and their dominance of AMERICA.

¡Felicidades, CHILE! :cool:

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I agree with those who think he will be back for the world cup. He will want to try to get the ultimate achievement - and he will fail.

18. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Wouldn't that be Mascherano?

The leader of a team isn't always the one wearing the captain's armband.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Technically maybe but I did not see him spiritually guide that team.

It is just a shame.

I do not care if Leo is the best player ever, but he has to win a WC, at least one Copa.

20. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

So a couple of things.

1. I guess I consider being poor at something to mean below average. He's not poor at PK's, he's just not as good as CRonaldo and other star players when it comes to in-match spot kicks. He should be better.

2. You say in the finals he's never had a great game and that's definitely true but it's not like he disappeared on the stage. Yesterday he created more goalscoring opportunities than anyone on both teams and was still the most dangerous player. The same thing as the WC finals, all it takes is an Argentinian striker whose name rhymes with Bonzalo Miguain finishing his clear cut, easy as 1-2-3 chances and the narrative would be different.

The most important thing
    Don't compare CRonaldo and Ibrahimovic for country with Messi. Oh for sure they have pressure on them to carry their national teams and lead the team but the pressure is mainly to qualify for a tournament and make a decent run. The pressure Messi has everytime he puts on a blue and white shirt is way more and way tougher. He is carrying on his back the ghosts of Maradona and every other #10 that came and failed to get the team back to a winners medal. He is the best player for a country that is trying to win their first trophy since '93 (while believing like the other international heavyweights that they have a divine right to finals success).
    If Ronaldo or Ibrahimovic fail to take their teams far, they still have a grateful nation behind them and they don't have ghosts from the past trying to pile on them for any failures. Messi has that to deal with.

Also, Messi isn't even close to being the 1st or last major star for any country to retire (after losing in a tournament, or due to differences with the federation or coaches, etc). The majority take the time off to concentrate on country and get their mind right...then as the next world cup starts to get closer, they feel the hunger again and return. I'd be very surprised if Messi isn't playing for Argentina in 2018.