1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Could we say hello Aaron Brooks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seven, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Last three games:

20 points 3 assists 1 turnover
    14 points 9 assists 1 turnover
    23 points 3 assists 2 turnovers

Artest trade was great. We got rid of Bobby Jackson AND got Ron Artest! And I'm falling in love with Barry.

2. dexkk

dexkk Member

he's getting the grove. pre-season was good for him.

3. ai_111

ai_111 Rookie

I dont know what do you mean by hello. Brooks was projected to be the back-up pg even before the start of the pre-season.

4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

4 turnover, not 2 this game

Brook is not our PG backup/fix.

5. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Lol, well we were all saying bye bye to Mike Harris and Luther Head. I think its time we say hello.

6. devin23

devin23 Member

I agree. He's like an undersized SG with good penetration and decent handles, so he could be alil better than luther, but he's mediocre at running the point...

7. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Can you say good by steve francis. brooks for MIP this year. if he develops an in between game and by that i mean a mid range game he will be unstoppable. right now its either 3s or drives. he develops a reliable in between game, he is unstoppable.

8. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

what we can see from those stats and watching him play is that aaron brooks can't be the tony parker we all hoped him to be. he's simply too short. nor will he be our playmaker because he's too small to make passes in traffic. BUT he is a good scorer off the dribble and can add a needed spark off the bench against slower pgs. Maybe he can teacher rafer a thing or to do about how to shoot a teardrop or floater. Rafer's floater could possibly be an uglier sight than Hayes' free throws.

And I'm still on the Stevie Franchise bandwagon. I'll be on it until he is not on the roster anymore or becomes "Denep CD", as Steve would call it, bench fodder. He still gives us something that none of our pgs possesses, an athletic big pg who can score off the dribble and create his own shot with relative ease. One may only pray...

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Two of those TOs were on plays where Yao couldn't keep his man pinned.

He still has a lot to prove, no doubt, but a scoring PG is not unheard of in this league. Arenas, Bibby, Parker, etc...

He's not a true PG but I think he has enough passing skills that he can at least be a solid backup PG once he gets more experience and minimizes the wild TOs.

And to the other guy, he has very good handles, not decent handles. He can use both hands well and keeps the ball extremely close to the floor.

10. BrooksBall

I disagree with the point about him not being to make passes in traffic. That requires being smart more than it requires size. PGs are always much smaller than the guys the players in the paint.

Parker has shown he has a mid-range game. Something Brooks hasn't shown yet. He needs that. Parker is also a much better finisher in traffic. Other than that, Parker is not a great creator. He just plays within the SA offense well and plays smart, avoids making dumb mistakes. That wasn't the case his first couple of seasons. He got smarter and added his mid-range game later on.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He actually had 4 TOs tonight. If the other guys hadn't bricked so many wide open shots, AB would have had 10 assists. Last year, I screamed for him to attack the basket every chance he got. Now he's doing it. Entry passes to the post are still a complete mystery to him and his chemistry with Yao isn't good. He still gets abused on defense but at least AB can now turn the tables and force the other PG to work hard defending him.

I'm feeling a lot better about AB now. He plays well with Landry, Barry, Wafer and Chuck. The next step for him is developing chemistry with Yao, Tracy, Artest, Scola & Shane. AB will have to play off the ball and hit open jumpers. He must learn how to get Yao the ball without it being a turnover 90% of the time. The starters have to adapt to AB attacking the basket to set them up for shots. It will be much harder for him to finish when other teams are playing with legit defensive intensity instead of what we've seen the last 3 games.

I don't know what happened but AB is starting to look like a real NBA player. I can't wait to see how he performs when the games count.

12. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

Lets be frank and honest. most of us had given up on him. besides brooksball who to his credit never gave on brooks, none here though he would amount to anything. he still might not since he has to translate the current form into regular season success, but we were all ready to throw him out the door.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are you kidding? Anyone who gave up on him after his rookie year is a complete and utter moron.

You can't give up on an NBA player taken late in the first round after one friggen year, especially one who plays the hardest position to learn in the NBA.

How people can make snap judgements on a player after one rookie year is beyond me.....and frankly it is flat out stupid.

DD

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know this maybe sacrelige but
    I hope he does not get TIMID and deferring too too much to Yao and Tracy
    We know they the big dogs. .but the other Dogs gotta bark sometimes too

Rocket River

15. ronnymac

ronnymac Member

lol. see the posts that were majority of the board were making about him.it was the majoriy who wanted him.

16. DPballer

DPballer Member

I don't think AB at this point can run the offense the way Rafer can. That's why it was a great move to start him WITH Rafer. Brooks seems closer to a backup SG than a backup PG. It's good news and bad news. Good is that we have another scorer off the bench that can make open shots. Bad news is we have absolutely zero true PGs to backup Rafer. This has to be addressed before the playoffs or else we're in trouble if Alston gets banged up again.

Unfortunately, it appears that Brooks has enrolled into the Luther Head passing class 101 - How NOT to pass to Yao Ming - the dribble pass.

17. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Agreed on all points. I don't think Brooks has yet shown the ability to be a back-up pg on a contending team, but he (and the Rockets) have time to make that determination before the trade deadline.

But he's a keeper.

18. Albert Einstain

luther's passes are all aimed at Yao's feet instead of his hands. luther should be aware that he is playing basketball but not soccer. even if his pass can pass through a couple of legs and yao grab the ball with his body bending, but his ball would be gonna cut off his hand before he stands straight. Frankly, luther's passes are really creative and always to the open spot, but it takes some time to raise the ball from feet up to shoulder, but the defense is gonna on during that time. Plus, brooks is too small to play SG while his bad passing skills also disable him to play PG.

19. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I agree with you that Aaron needs to stop bounce passing to Yao in the post, but I disagree about him not being able to run the offense. I've been very impressed with his improved decision-making and his increased aggressiveness. No he's not a true PG, but his ability to break down the defense and find open shooters is good enough for this team.

20. BrooksBall

Aaron Brooks is not a true PG. That is fact.

Is it something to worry about? Not necessarily. What is more important to me is that our starting PG plays his role well. Brooks' style could be an excellent change of pace off the bench as long as Alston is getting his job done.

Do you remember Adelman's backup PG in Sacramento when they were perenially one of the best teams in the league?

I'll let you answer that question but he certainly wasn't a true PG, either. He did win 6th man of the year though and helped that team make several deep postseason runs. They were a Divac tip and an Horry three away from the Finals.