1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

new orleans...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SWTsig, Nov 6, 2008.

1. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

is there a cooler city in this country? spent halloween weekend there and am already dying to go back... the history, the food, the drinks :D , the attitude, the architecture, the music and art.... everything about it. clearly it has it's drawbacks, and i dont know if i could ever live there (but i could definitely own a place there), but spending a few days there made me realize how little of that houston has :(

now dont get me wrong, i love houston dearly... but houston completely lacks a cultural identity. it lacks that certain energy/bravado that cities like NOLA (and many others) have. it something you can feel and sense, and you just don't get that feeling here... hopefully one day, but it's not there now.

i cannot wait to make it back.

2. tulexan

tulexan Member

No, there's not.

3. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

New Orleans is a great place to leave. Kind of like Las Vegas. It's a great time, but you can't wait to get the he'll out.

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I love visiting New Orleans.

I am not sure if I would want to live there either, but I enjoy visiting once a year or so.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I've been meaning to get back to NOLA for a year. I think New Orleans and New York are two of my favorite places to visit. Being in NYC for almost 3 weeks over the past couple months was an absolute blast.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Houston has always been more about looking towards the future and less about honoring the past. That has it's positives and negatives, but it's just the way we are.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I absolutely love New Orleans. The people, the music, the language, the history, the sense of identity, the architecture, the humidity, everything. I'm with you. I think it's my favorite city.

I love the linen suits and the seersucker. I love the coffee and chicory. I love going to mass and then to party on Saturday nights. I love the bloody mary and jazz brunches on Sunday mornings. I love the fact that complete strangers call you "darlin" and "baby".

8. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Awesome place, but when I went in Summer 07, the crime was pretty scary- one of the tourist spots/beer joints across from our hotel on Bourbon had been robbed in broad daylight the day before. I didn't see many cops, but I did see lots of thugs standing on corners scoping people out.

Again, awesome place, but I wouldn't live there.

9. SWTsig

you said it better than i could. the pace of life in nola is much more enjoyable.

10. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

well said everybody!

11. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

NOLA, great to visit, crummy to live.
    Houston, great to live, kind of boring to visit.

12. SWTsig

i'm hankerin for a fried oyster po boy from parasols and a bloody mary from igors and some straight up nola funk from the maple leaf.

13. Landlord Landry

I have been stuck in this dump for almost 2 months now. NOLA was great the first few days.......

I will never come back here unless I have to.

If I'm gonna drive more than 2 hours for a place to visit, I'm going to Austin.

The food is pretty good here.....but everything else just makes this town a suckfest.

/I desperatly want to go home rant.

1 person likes this.
  14. yobod

yobod Member

I think you're quite jaded by the fact that you were there for a few days, and then got to leave. Ask ANYBODY who has been there for more than a week, and they will tell you that the place is crime-infested, humid, and just unclean. That same laid-back attitude and pace of life that you find endearing now will piss you off to no end when you have to deal with people in positions of authority. There's a reason why people weren't exactly clamoring to go back after Katrina.

15. SWTsig

well i clearly said that i dont think i could live there... but i could definitely get down there several times a year for 2 or 3 days at a time and have an absolute blast.

16. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I used to live in NOLA. If you can't make it back there next year for Halloween, try the Montrose Crawl - closest you can get to Halloween on Bourbon Street.

17. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I've only been to New Orleans once... waaaaay back in 1984 as a kid for the World's Fair. It is one of only about 2 cities in the US that I always have the urge to just up and go to (the other being San Francisco). In both cases, it's because of the culture and uniqueness of the cities. I love the thought of the food, music, and culture in NOLA and have to go there soon.

18. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

New Orleans!
    Home of pirates, drunks, and whores!
    New Orleans!
    Tacky, overpriced, souvenir stores!

I've never been there, but I hear it's nice.

19. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

Didn't we put that city under water?

I guess my secret operation disguised as hurricane relief never took off. AKA "Dump Toxic Waste on New Orleans making it inhabitable for centuries"

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I support a plant near NOLA and work there often. I rarely stay for more than a week, but I'm there often. I love my time there.