1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who Is The Next Steve Kerr?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BleedRocketsRed, Apr 20, 2016.

1. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

I'm bored. It's basically offseason where ridiculous threads pop up so I decided to make a ridiculous thread of my own.

Which players played under Both Phil and Pop? Preferably one who is an analyst.

Big Shot Bob? Pay him whatever he wants?

Who else fits that mold?

All I could find were Will Perdue (current studio analyst for Bulls), Ira Newble (currently an assistant coach in the D-League) and Samaki Walker.

Also Ime Udoka (current Spurs assistant) but he only played 4 games under Phil and Theo Ratliff played 10 games under Phil both with the Lakers. As well as Joe Courtney though only 5 games under Phil with the Bulls. Also Shannon Brown but he only played 10 games under Pop.

2. RESINator

RESINator Member

Luke walton

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You say how exactly ridiculous is it?

4. i3artow i3aller

5. TISNF

TISNF Member

Steve Kerr is nothing without Curry. Even he'd admit as much. I genuinely think Kerr is embarrassed by how "great" everyone thinks he is.

He runs a clean, efficient system with GREAT, smart players.

Too early to hype Kerr as the greatest coach in the league.

6. HTM

HTM Member

He just happened to inherit one of the best squads of all time who haven't suffered any real injury problems since he's been there.

HTM would look like a great basketball coach if he was coaching them.

Dude can just roll the ball out.... and tell Bogut and Green to set screens by any means necessary.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Yup. You can prove this by looking at the year before Kerr got there, when they were a historically great team under Mark Jackson.

Game just plays itself, really.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Search for the next Steve Kerr? Leslie ain't got time for that. :) Need the big name right now.

And yes, Kerr-Walton-Gentry are overrated.
    Don't take that as sucks.

If Kerr takes the Knicks job like everyone thought, are we still talking about him as the best coach in the NBA? Are the Knicks setting records? Only as good as the talent around you and he has great talent. Yes, give him credit. He got them away from Jackson's isoball and now all about team.

Everyone fapping over Warriors assistant Alvin Gentry this exact time last year. Oops. Now Luke Walton and Jarron Collins are the next big things. :grin: (Maybe they are, maybe they aren't.)

#8 J.R., Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  9. mingthething

mingthething Member

Dennis Rodman.:grin::grin::grin:

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

jb obviously. he has a winnign record coaching the rockets. 3 or 4 games above 500. expect a contender to sign him this offseason
    to clean the bathrooms

11. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Shane battier or bust. I wanna take a shot with him

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You didn't listen to me on Kerr, listen to me on Battier. He will bring a team rings.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

they say search for the next Kerr?

Search for the next Steph
    Intensive search for the next Klay
    Rigorous search for the next Dray

Search for next Harrison Barnes
    Search for next Marrese Speights
    Search for next Bogut
    Search for next Iggy
    Search for next Barbosa and Ezeli

14. 08kx250f

08kx250f Member

Chuck hayes

15. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Patrick Ewing

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Matt Bullard

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

It's hilarious people brushing off a season like this from Steve Kerr.

Even if he goes out against us in the first round, he has the best start to an NBA coaching career ever. Championship followed by 73 wins?

Not to mention, same guy has hand picked his assistant and that guy is Luke Walton. He breezed through 40+ games without problems. Has been an assistant on the best NBA team for 2 years. Played for arguably the two best coaches in history, was known for being a particularly smart player.

No more dead end coaches please. We need to grab a new, promising coach from a succesful program. For me it's all about Messina, Walton or maybe even Udoka. These are the only people I can see changing the NBA and also playing the way Harden wants to play.

18. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Steve Kerr would've been a very good coach but let's be honest, he inherited a VERY GOOD team when he came to GS. He just needed to ignite the fire and the team is ready to go.

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Larry Brown.

20. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

With almost no change in personnel, he took a team from mid tier to historically good. Better than any team ever. We're talking about Jordan, Kareem, Russell, Bird, etc.

This is what people used to say about Phil Jackson, that he inherited the best player(s). Jackson now has 11 rings. Why wasn't anyone else able to do that so consistently?

How come Popovic in all his time has not had a season like we just had? One of the best players in the league, coming off a WCF appearance. Just doesn't seem to happen with coaches who understand players.

It's easier to take a team from 30th to 15th than it is to take a team from 2nd to 1st. Putting a team over the top: only a few coaches in each generation have this ability.

In today's NBA where you can hire crazy good assistants to do everything, that's the only quality that really matters. How to choose and motivate people who surround you.

So yes, let's look for the next Kerr. But the next Kerr is not necessarily a photocopy of Kerr.