1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harvard Business School Professor Goes to War Over $4 Worth of Chinese Food

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swyyyguy, Dec 9, 2014.

1. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was 100% in the right on this, though. You can't ****ing overcharge what's posted on the menu.

3. Cranberry_Juice

#Crimingwhilewhite

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Why didn't the Professor ask what the total bill was at the time he ordered? If he knew there was discrepancy from his own calculation and the restaurants's final bill, why did the Professor take delivery of his food.

Like if you order a pizza from Domino's and they quote you 25 USD for a large pizza, you have the option of taking delivery of the item at that price or questioning the store if it is a pricing error.

Seems like the Professor did not do his due diligence upon ordering of the food.

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

100% douche bag lawyer who gives lawyers a bad name. restaurant owner admitted that the website menu was out of date (only $1 per item) and resolved the issue as soon as he was made aware even though the website and it's management was outsourced. on top of that he offered to honor the website prices and refund $4 dollars ($1x4 items) to that prick. not good enough for smartass douche bag harvard lawyers. way to pick on the little guys just trying to make a living you twat.

also as the owner pointed out, the dbag lawyer went to the wrong website (another store location) to grab that menu. d******d lawyer should learn how to use the internet.

1 person likes this.
  6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Wow...what a douche bag. I like how the restaurant owner handled himself.

7. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

I think a problem with lawyers is that they expect things to be handled exactly within the letter of the law instead of the spirit of the law. The restaurant owner clearly didn't mean any malicious intent and offered to refund the difference. You don't buy the food, eat it all and say it's delicious, then expect a full refund and call that justice. After that, both parties didn't back down due to principle.

#7 Kyakko, Dec 9, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Seems Ben Edelman is a douche.

9. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

10. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Both seem like dickheads. The lawyer came off being dickish by asking 3x the refund. The owner should have immediately honored the online price as advertised. Instead, they grab their dicks out and measure them through legal means to make it more difficult for each party to come to an amicable solution.

The restaurant isn't entirely innocent, either. When you think about it, the restaurant is charging an extra dollar per dish from their advertised price. With average dish prices around $12, that extra $1 is a profit increase of 8%. That's a large profit increase. The restaurant did a bait and switch, which the lawyer likely played hardball based on principle.

11. Kyakko

I absolutely agree both were acting on principle, but

A.) The customer ate all the food and was satisfied... should he get a full refund? If the customer didn't eat anything of it, fine, give him a full refund.

B.) I don't think the bait and switch was intentional, but rather the lack of the owner's lack of business savy.

In the spirit of justice (and remember, this is 4 dollars vs 14), what is right? What would you have walked away with if you were either parties?

12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

the restaurant offered to honor the website price as soon as the customer asked for the refund. I think he did OK. He should have just stopped correspondence once he said he would wait for the authorities to advise. Cause there won't be any authorities coming lol.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

the owner would also be a dick if in fact he didn't update the online menu as stated. then you could argue he was actively participating in fraud. but nothing in the article leads me to believe that he didn't update the menu prices.

14. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I think the customer was entitled to at least the $4. The restaurant should have honored the online price. I don't think this is the first time they've been questioned about the prices, either. The owner acknowledges that the online prices have been incorrect for a while. They probably just didn't do anything about it because they could get away with it.

If I were the customer, I probably wouldn't have complained after they explained their online pricing was wrong. If I were the business owner, I would have offered a refund/credit immediately.
    The owner offered a $3 refund for a $4 error. The customer was a dick for asking 3x the amount, but that seems like a dick move to annoy the customer. Unless it was a typo, but the owner made no notion of it being an error. And it was also a dick move to not honor it until the authorities would come.

This is a very petty argument and definitely not worth the time for both parties, but neither are saints here.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The lawyer, being a lawyer, wanted his piece of the "grand injustice" the restaurant owner pulled by overcharging website customers. Class action mentality.

If your establishment has a leak you didn't know about, and it somehow damages a consumer, your ignorance or lack of business savvy doesn't cover you from some form of responsibility for those damages.

So the lawyer acted that way because he's good (or thinks he's great) at what he does.

Echoing the other replies, the fact that bar owner didn't immediately offer the refund OR to change the website before being threatened with legalesee means that the lawyer did website patrons a favor.

If I was personally affected by this, I'd rather appreciate the douche's actions rather than get emotionally pulled by the fact that he had to be a douche for the bar owner to get off his ass and do something right, as opposed to patting his customers on the head when they bring it up and politely tell them to deal with it.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

That was obviously a maths error because he specified he would honor the menu price. He offered this after the customer asked for a refund which seems like a very reasonable time. The owners only crap move was leaving an out dated menu on his website when he clearly knew about it AND had the power to change it. Everything in the email exchanged seemed fine.

17. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harvard guy is a bully and a douche.

Yeah, the owner was committing fraud by clearly stating the prices on the menu. Give me a break.

18. Jontro

Jontro Member

This is why I'll never go to Harvard.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kyakko

What is the damages really? He enjoyed great food for slightly more than he expected? Proportions man... I had diners accidentally served me raw food and all I asked was for them to reheat it.

20. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

This guy is clearly taking out frustrations of a different variety on this business. He's a bad person through and through.