1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Clowney?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 2, 2014.

?

Would you trade Clowney?

1. Yes

64 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Give it a few weeks

17 vote(s)
    11.4%
  4. Only for a Herschel Walker - type haul

25 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

First of all, I know this sounds preposterous. I know most people will tell me I'm flat out stupid for this, but hear me out...

Clowney is pissing a lot of people off lately. You can guarantee that behind the scenese, people like O'Brien, Vrabel, Andre, Watt, and Cushing are not happy with this guy. Guarantee. No matter what you want to tell me. None of them are willing/ would say it, though.

That being said, its going to take a LOT of hard work and effort by Clowney to convince his teammates he's there for them. Frankly, I don't think he has it in him. I think he may be a productive player in this league, but I don't think he's ever going to give you more than three seasons where he doesn't miss a game. Its funny because at times we questioned Mario's heart and love for the game, yet it seems we got someone that has even less of that drive with our next number one pick.

I haven't given up on Clowney, by any means. He's got all the talent in the world. I just will always have a hard time rooting for a guy like him. It's not what this team is supposedly about, yet his selection and actions as of late is a gigantic microcosm of this entire franchise, as a whole.

Its just that, I see what a franchise like Cleveland has done. They traded Trent Richardson pretty early, but were rewarded for it. Why not do something like that with Clowney, who could potentially wreak havoc on this team with his turmoil? Trade him, start Mallet from here on out, see what he has. If he's got it, you font have to take a quarterback and you've got potential to have two impact players (insert gm criticism here) that actually will play and care. If not, you're in a great spot to either trade up for someone like a Mariota if he's your franchise, or be in position for someone that falls, ala Bridgewater or Manziel (despite whatever you may think they will/won't be).

All I'm saying is, as pissed off as I am about Clowney's actions, especially the Instagram thing, imagine how people like JJ Watt, Cushing, Andre, even Arian Foster feel. This kid has rubbed so many people wrong halfway through his first year, I say you do it. Teach the rest of his teammates a lesson.

I realize this will also never happen, but its lovely to dream. I also realize this is a slight bit of a kneejerk, but you should realize I'm serious.

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He will have monster years in a few years when he needs a new contract.

3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Voted no. A waste that the poll isn't public.

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Who would want him?

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Did I mention how much I love all these hypothetical polls that could never possibly happen?

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

the raiders, lol

7. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

At this point it might be the smart thing to do. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

8. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If someone was dumb enough to offer a 2015 1st round pick then hell yea I would trade him

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Why do you think it couldn't happen? And why you think it isn't a thread worthy poll? I mean this is still a message board where we come to discuss things. This seems like a pretty reasonable question.

10. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

You are going to get pennies on the dollar right now.

And I don't get the sense that O'Brien is as angry as everyone says he is. His post game comments actually seemed like he was putting in the work to get back on the field. Unlike the comment he made about Nix.

11. Remii

Remii Member

They have Mack... Lol...

12. conquistador#11

to the redskins for a 1st, a 2nd and 4th plus RGjr. jr.
    I'll throw in ben jones because i'm in a giving mood.

13. Major

Major Member

Trade deadline has already passed, so it couldn't happen until the offseason. If Clowney recovers and does well to finish out the season, no one here will want to trade him. If he sucks the rest of the way, he's not going to have much value.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This will be one of those threads we will look back at and think wtf. Hopefully. I still have high hopes for Clowney. He's 21.

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The issues are with him being healthy/motivated more than him sucking. I don't see why his value would drop much below a high 2nd rounder if he can finish out the season healthy. I know Trent Richardson had 11 tds his first year, but he wasn't overly impressive.

I don't see why his value would plummet so far. He was the consensus #1 prospect in the draft.

Anyone have a list of top 10 picks that were traded in their 2nd year?

16. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

yea, but they're probably dumb enough to trade for Clowney.

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sadly, I couldn't really read the rest after this. Your entire premise is based on a "guarantee" about the feelings of the coaches and leaders of the team--which you're saying they're unwilling to say. So I have to believe your guarantee about their feelings that they're not willing to admit, AND I have to believe your random statement about how much effort it's going to take to get that back.

I get the frustration, but I'd venture to say 5 games (hopefully more) of effort on the field by Clowney / overall defensive improvement / team winning will be more than enough to get him on people's good sides in the org. To say he's so far gone at this point, a few months into his career, is silly.

18. Major

Major Member

My point is that if he finishes out the season healthy, people are going to want to keep him and see what he can do. People want to trade him now only because he's not healthy.

19. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Got to give a kid an entire season... so trading him is really premature. So far, he has gone above and beyond to prove every thing his doubters have ever said about him to be true: zero love/passion for game, diva,

20. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Would I trade him? It depends on what I could get in return. If I could get a first round pick, or a very promising young QB, then yes. But I wouldn't just trade him for little in return. I still have hope he will get it going. But I don't see this guy becoming another JJ Watt. Hope I'm wrong.