1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rockets ranked 3rd in Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coob5, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Coob5

Coob5 Member

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

It's only cuz the Suns are on a two game skid. Don't believe that we are better then the suns at this point. That's not to say that we can't beat them.

3. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

All three NBA Texas teams are in the top three. When has one state boasted three of the top 6 teams in the NBA?

4. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Yep -- I said it yesterday that a 50 point blowout would do wonders for our Hollinger ranking. Guess I was right on the money. That's a 5 spot leap within 24 hours.

5. SunsRocketsfan

umm well thats not too special since there are only two possible states for that; texas (rockets, spurs, mavs) and california (lakers, clippers, warriors, kings)

so every other state is basically out of it.
    but with that being said its still pretty amazing that texas has 3 of the top teams in the NBA

6. ysong00

ysong00 Member

wow thats pretty crazy, rockets ahead of the suns, and spurs ahead of the mavs??

7. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

The Hollinger ranking factors in how well you've been playing recently, and your average margin of victory. The Spurs have been on a tear lately -- they won like 12 or 13 straight before losing to Boston. And their average margin of victory has been very impressive too. Dallas lost two straight to PHX and GSW. And Phoenix hasn't been so hot lately either. Rockets got the huge boost because of their 50 point win yesterday.

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

For the first time in a long long time I read the Rocket's power ranking and not find in the description, "when they are HEALTHY..." good stuff.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Aren't these rankings about stats and not record though?

10. Coob5

Coob5 Member

Ya thats why they are power rankings, they take in to account each teams stats throughout the season as well as the last 10 games. I thought it would be a good idea to post this but this post is getting criticized left and right. Just take it in Rockets fans, don't deny that we are great. I know we have had a rough season well things are starting to look brighter and some of us aren't used to it.

11. jaredg777

jaredg777 Contributing Member

Yeah, but look at Stein's power ratings...Utah lost 4 games and gets kicked down 1 notch but is still ahead of the rockets who lost a spot this week....ridiculous

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

win/loss record is a stat.

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I guess that loss in Phoenix means more to Stein than the Jazz's 4 consecutive losses. :rolleyes:

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, that's why Hollinger Rankings are useless. I am a homer and I would not rank us in the top 3 in the league. We might be able to crack top 5 but barely.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

They are "power rankings" -- i.e. who's playing well lately. For those purposes, his rankings are fine. I don't think he'd put us over Phoenix either.

16. King of 40 Acres

King of 40 Acres Contributing Member

yah- they are updated daily so basically it's a who's who of the NBA teams playing the best that specific day- Rockets had to get some cred after a 50 point win even over the Sixers - those are rare in the NBA today; and winning 6 out of the last 7 helps as well.

17. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Marc Stein has us ranked behind Cleveland and Utah? :rolleyes:

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I'm ok with being ranked behind Cleveland. They had a good week. But the Jazz lost every game on their road trip. We won 3 out of 4 and capped off the week with a 50-point blowout of Philly(a team that beat the Jazz a couple days earlier I might add).

Oh well, I care more about home court than what Stein thinks.

19. intersync

intersync Member

dang, that must have been a tough prediction there, nostradamus.

20. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

"The Rockets have two fantastic superstars. If Yao and T-Mac can get it together, and if the role players make their open shots and step up, there is no stopping. But the only team we really can't beat is the Suns, we don't match up well with them."

I know, currently, it is true. But we really can not work out a plan to defeat Suns? Have to beat Suns if you want Championship.